What's new

meaning of 体を動かせるのがいい and だけど

letslearn

先輩
11 Sep 2013
Hi all,
I was wondering if I could get some help with interpreting of the following dialogue. In particular the meaning of 体を動かせるのがいい .
The situation is two people a man and female talking.
F. 今度の旅行だけど、どこへ行く?
M. いろいろあるね。僕はやっぱり体を動かせるのがいいなあ。自転車に乗ったり、山に登ったり!.
F. え~、私はもう少しゆっくりしたいから、お寺に行ってみたいな。歴史の勉強もできるし。
M. うーん、勉強かあ…。それか、海はどう? 海なら僕が泳いでいる間に、君は海の近くを散歩できるよ!
F. 二人で行くのに、違うことをするの?そうなの変よ。
I get the gist of the conversation.
Where should we go on vacation? (why is だけど used here)
There are many things, I want to do some physical activities such as riding and climbing. ( what is the grammar around 体を動かせるのがいい)

よろしくお願いします

I think it's something along the lines of "I wish/I would like to be able to move my body" or "Being able to move my body would be great." の is just a normaliser like こと. The いいなあ at the end, I would say, conveys the speaker's desire for something to be case.

動かせる is the potential form of 動かす and の is the normalizer, so "for me, it's nice to be able to move my body". That is, the man likes to do physical activities and therefore suggests going cycling and mountain climbing.

The けど in this case is used to bring up the subject more softly: "Oh, by the way, about the vacation..." rather than a direct and upfront "Where will we go for the vacation?".

今度の旅行だけど、どこへ行く? would literally be "It's about the next trip but... where will we go?". I think だけど is used because she hesitates to talk about their next trip(i.e. next trip is not in the near future so asking so far head is pointless). EDIT:Actually, lanthas's explanation seems better.

I'd like to ask, is this そうなの変よ at the end correct? because it doesn't make sense gramatically to me

Last edited:
今度の旅行だけど、どこへ行く? would literally be "It's about the next trip but... where will we go?". I think だけど is used because she hesitates to talk about their next trip(i.e. next trip is not in the near future so asking so far head is pointless).

I'd like to ask, is this そうなの変よ at the end correct? because it doesn't make sense gramatically to me
The bit at the end is the same as そんなこと、変よ = "Such a thing would be odd"

(Actually I just noticed that it says そうなの instead of そんなの... I'm guessing it still means the same thing)

Last edited:
The bit at the end is the same as そんなこと、変よ = "Such a thing would be odd"

(Actually I just noticed that it says そうなの instead of そんなの... I'm guessing it still means the same thing)
Yes, that is why I asked if that part is a typo. そうなの変よ doesn't seem right.

I think some of you may be overlooking the significance of the を (instead of が) in front of the 動かせる.

This is the causative of 動く, not the potential of 動かす.

そうなの and そんなの do not mean the same thing. It is almost certainly a typo.

I don't trust my memory that much but...wasn't there a post some time ago discussing how in verb pairs like 動く/動かす the causative form 動かせる doesn't exist, and the causative is actually the transitive form 動かす?

そうなの and そんなの do not mean the same thing. It is almost certainly a typo.
Thank you! I wasn't sure it was that way.

EDIT: found it https://jref.com/threads/な.54922/#post-742626

Last edited:
That was floating around in my mind as well. Either way, it isn't the potential form. That would make no sense with をinstead of が

今度の旅行だけど、どこへ行く? would literally be "It's about the next trip but... where will we go?". I think だけど is used because she hesitates to talk about their next trip(i.e. next trip is not in the near future so asking so far head is pointless). EDIT:Actually, lanthas's explanation seems better.

I will have to check and let you know.

Sorry for nitpicking as always, but の is a nominalizer(名詞化辞), not normalizer.

動かせる is only used as the potential form of the transitive verb 動かす, as I wrote in my previous post raikado-san linked.

そうなの変よ must be a typo of そんなの変よ, as Mike-san pointed out.

Hi all thank you all for your in depth answers.
The grammar point that you make about causative/potential is very interesting.
My dictionary also says 動かせる is the causative.
It was a typo as everyone suspected sorry about that.
Does やっぱり here mean... as expected I need to do something physical. やっぱり is a difficult word to interpret at times.

At the end of the conversation they both decided to do their own thing.

Last edited:
What dictionary are you using?

Not really. She is complaining of his idea/suggestion that they do different activities.
toritoribesan,
I'm using the JED dictionary App and www.japandict.com but I looked on others like Denshi etc and it wasn't.

When I said they decided to choose their own thing, it is in the next couple of lines, sorry I should have been more clear.
I just wanted to let everyone know what happend next. And I made a mistake anyway because what actually happens is that they decide to go to the place where she wants too, because he can do his thing by himself.

The conversation went like this.
M. わかったよ。じゃあ、今回はのいきたいところへいくよ。体を動かすのは一人でできるから。
F. じゃ、そうしよう。

皆さんありがとうございました

Those of us who are married knew without being told that the couple ended up doing what she wanted to do..

Back
Top Bottom