Meaning of そのまま and 「~かも わからない」

nonezumi

先輩
28 Aug 2010
Hello,

If possible, please kindly help me with translation of the following sentence:

わかものは めのまえが まっくらに なって そのまま なにもかも わからんように なってしまった

Maybe I can translated it as:

Suddely, it became totally dark in front of young man eyes, so that he could understand nothing.

But I am not clear about そのまま. According to the dictionary, it may express "without change", but I still wonder how I can put it into the translation.

Another difficulty is ~かま わからない, I am not sure how to translate it properly, and why かも particle was used.

Thank you very much! :sorry:

なにもかも is a fixed phrase meaning "everything."

そのまま has another meaning with adverbial function and means "immediately."
そのまま、わからんように(わからなくなる)means lose consciousness immediately (after everything went black)

epigeneさん、

Thank you very for your your kind help and explanation.

If possible, may I ask little bit more. For example, if try to say phrase "Yesterday, he loose consciousness" in Japanese as 「きのう かれは なにもかも わからなくなりました 」, would it be correct ?

Thank you very much :sorry:

epigeneさん、

Thank you very for your your kind help and explanation.

If possible, may I ask little bit more. For example, if try to say phrase "Yesterday, he loose consciousness" in Japanese as 「きのう かれは なにもかも わからなくなりました 」, would it be correct ?
I translated なにもかも わからなくなる as "lose consciousness" based on the context of the example you posted.

わからなくなる literally means "lose one's ability to understand/comprehend," so きのう かれは なにもかも わからなくなりました can have different meanings, such as:

(1) He was in a total loss yesterday (totally confused due to things that happened)
(2) He lost his mental power yesterday (loss of the ability to think due to illness, injury, etc.)

Context is king! 👍

epigeneさん、

Thank you so much for the perfect explanation and for showing me literal meaning.
Very often, I trying to find literal meaning for myself. Even if it sound very awkward in English, it help me to understand Japanese better.

Thank you very much! :sorry:

Back
Top Bottom