What's new

Meaning of さも面白さもある?

wuomin

後輩
3 May 2014
Hello everyone,
Can anyone help me understand this phrase,
さも面白さもある. If I'm correct, it means "extremely interesting", but I don't understand why ある would be used there.
I was reading a blog post from one of my favorite Japanese Youtube video makers, and I tried to translate the title of that post.

テイクダウン後の爆発wwwカッコよさも面白さもある弟者のウォッチドッグス
I understand the first half of the title but became lost in translation at the start of さも面白さもある.
example1.JPG

I found something similar on a Youtube video title.
example2.JPG

They both have subjects after さも面白さもある, 「弟者のウォッチドッグス」 and 「ピカイチ」, why is that, if I may ask? I have came up with translations in mind but view them as rough and would like to have a clear and more accurate one.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Thank you!

You obviously haven't learned the adjective suffix 〜さ yet, which is what's tripping you up. The first さ is connected to the preceding よ.

Think of it as being like the English suffix "-ness".

よい good
よさ goodness

カッコよい cool
カッコよさ coolness

They turn into nouns, as you no doubt noticed. So the あります shouldn't be confusing anymore.

It's not さも面白さもある、it's 面白さ.
Breakdown of the part is "カッコよさ も 面白さ も ある" and this clause modifies 「弟者のウォッチドッグス」.

Yikes, さ completely glided over me! With it broken down and explained, it makes perfect sense now. Thank you both for the great explanations, I appreciate it. They truly helped.

It didn't trouble you that all of the adjectives in your examples were seemingly missing their endings?

I have encountered adjectives with さ replacing their endings in my readings, like 恐ろしさ, but, I guess in this situation, I didn't bother to break it down, which was quite wrong of me, and instead lumped phrases I couldn't decipher into one batch which led me to a bigger entanglement? It's a reoccurring problem that I tend to do, to which I will watch out for next time.

It's the little things you have to look out for. The way Japanese inflects and the way things agglutinate means it can be very easy to overlook seemingly insignificant small differences which are actually rather large.

Back
Top Bottom