What's new

Matrix Reloaded Transcripts

carman0

Registered
22 May 2003
The four most important transcripts from: The Matrix: Reloaded

Councilor Hamen of Zion, on man窶冱 dependency on machines:

[Neo, unable to sleep for the nightmares of Trinity窶冱 death, stands outside his room overlooking Zion. Councilor Hamen approaches:]

Hamen: Care for some company?

Neo: Councilor Hamen窶ヲ

Hamen: I don窶冲 want to intrude if you prefer to be alone.

Neo: No I could窶ヲ probably use some company.

Hamen: Good. So could I. It窶冱 nice tonight. Very calm. Feels like everyone is sleeping very peacefully.

Neo: Not everyone.

Hamen: I hate sleeping. I never sleep more than a few hours. I figure I slept the first 11 years of my life, now I窶冦 making up for it. What about you?

Neo: I just haven窶冲 been able to sleep much.

Hamen: It窶冱 a good sign.

Neo: Of what?

Hamen: That you are in fact, still human. Have you ever been to the engineering level? [Neo shakes his head indicating no.] I love to walk there at night窶ヲ quite amazing. Would you like to see it?

Neo: Sure.

[scene transitions to an overview of the primitive-looking machines that are the mechanical infrastructure of Zion窶冱 civil utilities.]

Hamen: Almost no one comes down here. Unless of course there窶冱 a problem. That窶冱 how it is with people They don窶冲 care how it works as long as it works. I like it down here. I like to be reminded that the city survives because of these machines. These machines are keeping us alive, while other machines are coming to kill us. Interesting isn窶冲 it? [Neo looks at him inquisitively] Power to give, and the power to end it.

Neo: We have the same power.

Hamen: Yeah, I suppose we do, but down here I think about all those people still plugged into the Matrix, and when I look at these machines I窶ヲ I can窶冲 help thinking that in a way we窶ヲ are plugged into them.

Neo: But we control these machines, they don窶冲 control us.

Hamen: [patronizing?] Of course not. How could they? The idea is pure nonsense but, it does make one wonder just窶ヲ what is control?

Neo: If we wanted we could shut these machines down.

Hamen: [laughing, still patronizing?] Of course. That窶冱 it. You窶况e hit it. That窶冱 control isn窶冲 it? If we wanted, we could smash them to bits. Although if we did, we窶囘 have to consider what would happen to our lights, our heat, our air.

Neo: So we need machines, and they need us. Is that your point councilor?

Hamen: [still patronizing?] No. No point. Old men like me don窶冲 bother with making points. There窶冱 no point.

Neo: [making light of the situation:] Is that why there are no young men on the council?

Hamen: Good point.

Neo: Why don窶冲 you tell me what窶冱 on your mind councilor?

Hamen: There is so much in this world that I do not understand. [nods toward a machine composed of different terraces of water flowing] See that machine? That has something to do with recycling our water supply. I have absolutely no idea how it works. But I do understand the reason for it to work. I have absolutely no idea how you are able to do some of the things you do. But I believe there窶冱 a reason for that as well. I only hope we understand that reason before it窶冱 too late.

Neo Meets the Oracle again:

Oracle: Well, come on. I ain窶冲 gon窶 bite-cha. Come around here and let me have a look atcha. [removes sunglasses] My goodness! Look at you! You turned out alright didn窶冲-cha. How do you feel?

Neo: I uh窶ヲ.

Oracle: I know you窶决e not sleeping. We窶冤l get to that. [pats the bench beside her] Why don窶冲 you come and have a sit this time?

Neo: Maybe I窶冤l stand.

Oracle: Well, suit-cha-self.

Neo: [Uncomfortably moves to the bench and sits.] I felt like sitting.

Oracle: I know. So窶ヲ let窶冱 get the obvious stuff out of the way.

Neo: You窶决e not human are you?

Oracle: It窶冱 tough to get any more obvious than that.

Neo: If I had to guess, I窶囘 say you窶决e a program from the Machine World. [turning to her body-guard] So is he.

Oracle: So far so good.

Neo: But if that窶冱 true, that could mean you窶决e a part of the System. Another kind of control.

Oracle: [smiling encouragingly] Keep going.

Neo: I suppose the most obvious question is: How can I trust you?

Oracle: [smiling with admiration] Bingo! [shakes her head as though bewildered] It is a pickle, no doubt about it. Bad news is there窶冱 no way if you can really know if I窶冦 here to help you or not. So it窶冱 really up to you. Just have to make up your own damned mind if you窶决e going to accept what I窶冦 going to tell you, or reject it.

[offers a red candy in a red wrapper, a candy which we see unwrapped has the exact shape ansd size as the red pill he chose from Morpheus so long ago.] Candy?

Neo: Do you already know if I窶冦 going to take it? (Implying the incident where he took the pill from Morpheus.)

Oracle: Wouldn窶冲 be much of an Oracle if I didn窶冲.

Neo: But if you already know, how can I make a choice? (Implying that he didn窶冲 really have a choice between the red and blue pills)

Oracle: Because you didn窶冲 come here to make the choice. You窶况e already made it. You窶决e here to understand why you made it. [Neo takes the the red candy she offers.] I thought you窶囘 have figured that out by now.

Neo: Why are you here?

Oracle: Same reason. I love candy. [implies that she too likes the tasty illusion of life in the Matrix, just as 99% of humans do, but choosing red candies, she also likes the knowledge that it is a tasty illusion, and the knowledge of exactly how the illusion works.] [unwraps and pops the red candy into her mouth.]

Neo: But why help us?

Oracle: We窶决e all here to do what we窶决e all here to do. I窶冦 interested in one thing Neo: the future. And believe me, I know. The only way to get there is together. (implying the cooperation between human and machine.)

Neo: Are there other programs like you?

Oracle: D窶冩h, well, not like me, but窶ヲ look, see those birds? [indicating the flock of crows she窶囘 been feeding before Neo arrived.] At some point a program was written to govern them. A program was written to窶ヲ watch over the trees, and the winds, sun-rise and sun-set. There are programs runnin窶 all over the place. The ones doing their job, doing what they were meant to do, are invisible. You never even know they窶决e here. But the other ones窶ヲ.well窶ヲ. [exasperated] we hear about them all the time.

Neo: I窶况e never heard of them.

Oracle: Of course you have. Every time you窶况e heard someone say they saw a ghost, or an angel. Every story you窶况e ever heard about vampires, weir-wolves or aliens it窶冱 the system assimilating some program that窶冱 doin窶 somethin窶 they窶决e not supposed to be doin窶?

Neo: Programs hacking programs窶ヲ Why?

Oracle: Hmm they窶况e their reasons but, usually a program chooses exile when it faces deletion.

Neo: And why would a program be deleted?

Oracle: Maybe it breaks down. Maybe a better program is created to replace it. Happens all the time. And when it does, a program can either choose to hide here, or return to The Source.

Neo: The machine Main Frame.

Oracle: Yes. Where you must go. Where the path of The One ends. You窶况e seen it窶ヲ in your dreams haven窶冲 you? The door made of light? [Neo nervously nods yes.] [Oracle looking concerned] What happens when you go through the door?

Neo: I see Trinity窶ヲ and something happens窶ヲ something bad. She starts to fall, and then I wake up.

Oracle: Do you see her die?

Neo: No.

Oracle: You have 窶徼he sight窶 now Neo. You are looking at the world without time.

Neo: Then why can窶冲 I see what happens to her?

Oracle: We can never see past the choices we don窶冲 understand.

Neo: Are you saying I have to choose whether Trinity lives or dies?

Oracle: [softly and lovingly] No. You窶况e already made the choice. Now you have to understand it.

Neo: [shaking his head defiantly] No! I can窶冲 do that. I won窶冲.

Oracle: [again, lovingly] Well you have to.

Neo: Why?

Oracle: Because you窶决e The One.

Neo: What if I can窶冲? What happens if I fail?

Oracle: Then Zion will fall. [Oracle窶冱 body-guard places his hand on her shoulder, indicating time to leave.] Our time is up. Listen to me Neo. You can save Zion if you reach the source, but to do that you will need 窶徼he Keymaker.窶

Neo: The Keymaker?

Oracle: Yes, he disappeared some time ago. We did not know what happened to him until now. He is being held prisoner by a very dangerous program, one of the oldest of us. He窶冱 called the Merilvincian, and he will not let him go willingly.

Neo: What does he want?

Oracle: What do all men with power want? More power. [hands Neo a paper] Be there, at that exact time [pointing at the paper], and you will have a chance.

Body Guard: We must go.

Oracle: Seems like every time we meet, I got nuthin窶 but bad news. I窶冦 sorry about that, I surely am. But for what it窶冱 worth, you窶况e made a believer out of me. [reaches for his hand and pats his chest] Good luck kiddo. [leaves]

Neo meets the new Mr. Smith

Mr.Smith: [appears as the Oracle leaves, the flock of crows scatter toward Neo, with Mr. Smith walking among them toward Neo, as though the crows are part of his retinue. menacingly:] Mister Anderson! You get my package?

Neo: Yeah窶ヲ.

Mr. Smith: Well good

[back at the Nebechanezzer: Morpheus says with surprise:] Smith!

Linc: Who ever it is, he窶冱 not readin窶 like an agent.

Mr. Smith: Surprised to see me?

Neo: [putting sunglasses on] No.

Mr. Smith: Then you窶决e aware of it.

Neo: Of what?

Mr. Smith: Our connection. I don窶冲 fully understand how it happened, perhaps some part of you imprinted on to me, something overwritten or copied窶ヲ. It is at this point irrelevant. What matters is, that whatever happened, it happened for a reason.

Neo: And what reason is that?

Mr. Smith: I killed you Mr. Anderson, I watched you die, with a certain satisfaction I might add, and then something happened. Something that I knew was impossible but it happened anyway. You destroyed me, Mr. Anderson. Afterward I knew the rules, I understood what I was supposed to do (referring to 窶彭eletion窶 and returning to the 窶彜ource窶?, but I didn窶冲! I couldn窶冲. I was compelled to stay. Compelled to disobey.

And now here I stand because of you, Mr. Anderson, because of you I am no longer an agent of the system. Because of you I窶况e changed, I窶冦 unplugged [ting to his ear where an agent wears an audio feed, the audio feed that Mr. Smith delivered to Neo earlier in this movie.] 窶ヲ a new man, so to speak. Like you, apparently free.

Neo: [almost sarcastically] Congratulations.

Mr. Smith: Thank you [nodding and smiling menacingly]. But, as you well know, appearances can be deceiving, which brings me back to the reason why we窶决e here. We窶决e not here because we窶决e free, we窶决e here because we窶决e not free. There窶冱 no escaping reason, no denying purpose, because as we both know, without purpose, we would not exist.

[another copy of Mr. Smith appears, saying:] It is purpose that created us,

[another copy:] purpose that connects us,

[another] purpose that pulls us,

[another] that guides us,

[another] that drives us,

[another] it is purpose that defines us

[another] purpose that binds us.

Mr. Smith: [the original:} We are here because of you Mr. Anderson, we窶决e here to take from you what you tried to take from us窶ヲ.. purpose!

[Mr. Smith shoves his hand into Neo窶冱 chest, and a black substance begins to engulf his body, as the mirror-silver did when Neo first entered the 窶徨eal world窶? but this is black, and has been shown to turn a program into a copy of Mr. Smith, when the engulfing completes. Neo is shocked and surprised as the black substance spreads over his body.]

[back at the Nebechanezzer: Trinity:] What窶冱 happening to him?

Linc: I don窶冲 know.

Mr. Smith: Yes, that窶冱 it. It窶冤l be over soon.

[Neo, almost completely engulfed, relaxes, and much to the amazement of Mr. Smith, simply wills the black substance retreat from him just as it had begun to engulf him. The fight begins.]

Neo meets the Architect:

Architect: Hello Neo.

Neo: Who are you?

Architect: I am the Architect. I created the Matrix. I窶况e been waiting for you.

You have many questions, and though the process has altered your consciousness you remain irrevocably human. Ergo some of my answers you will understand and some of them you will not. Concordantly while your first question may be the most pertinent, you may or may not realize it is also the most irrelevant.

Neo: Why am I here?

Architect: Your life is the sum of the remainder of an unbalanced equation inherent to the programming of the Matrix. You are the eventuality of an anomaly which despite my sincerest efforts I have been unable to eliminate from what is otherwise a harmony of mathematical precision. While it remains a burden assiduously avoided, it is not unexpected and thus it is not beyond a measure of control, which has led you窶ヲ inexorably窶ヲ here.

Neo: You haven窶冲 answered my question.

Architect: Quite right. Interesting, that was quicker than the others.

[Other Neos shown on wall-to-wall monitors, all protesting, 窶廾thers? What Others? How many others窶拆

Architect: The Matrix is older than you know. I prefer counting from the emergence of one integral anomaly to the emergence of the next, in which case this is the sixth version.

[More protests from the Neos shown on wall-to-wall monitors, 窶廰iar!窶 窶廾ne, two, three!窶ヲ Incredulous laughter窶ヲ It窶冱 not possible!... etc. 窶拆

Focusing on one of the Neos in one of the monitors, that Neo says:

There are only two possible explanations. Either no one told me, or no one knows.

Architect: Precisely. As you are undoubtedly gathering, the anomaly is systemic, creating fluctuations in even the most simplistic equations.

[Outraged very loud protests from the Neos in the monitors all around, 窶忱ou can窶冲 make me do窶ヲ!窶? 窶廬窶冦 going to ******* smash you窶ヲ窶 窶廬ll show you!...窶? 窶?*** you窶? (middle finger), 窶忱ou can窶冲 make me do anything you ******* *****!窶 etc.]

Focusing again on one of the Neos in one of the monitors, that Neo says:

Choice窶ヲ the problem is choice.

[Scene shifts briefly to show Trinity fighting desperately an agent, and quite evidently losing.]

Architect: The first Matrix I designed was quite naturally perfect. It was a work of art. Flawless. Sublime. A triumph equaled only by it窶冱 monumental failure. The inevitability of its doom is apparent to me now as a consequence of the imperfection inherent in every human being. Thus, I redesigned it, based on your history, it to more accurately reflect the varying grotesqueries of your nature. [monitors around show horrors of murder and torture and various other kinds of horrible suffering.] However I was again frustrated by failure. I have since come to understand that the answer eluded me because it required a lesser mind, or perhaps a mind less bound by the parameters of perfection. Thus, the answer was stumbled upon by another: an intuitive program, initially created to investigate certain aspects of the human psyche. If I am the Father of the Matrix, She would undoubtedly be its Mother.

Neo: The Oracle.

Architect: Please窶ヲ As I was saying, she stumbled upon a solution whereby nearly 99% of all test subjects accepted the program as long as they were given a choice, even if they were only aware of the choice at a near unconscious level. While this answer functioned, it was obviously fundamentally flawed, thus creating the otherwise contradictory, systemic anomaly that if left unchecked, might threaten the system itself. Ergo, those that refuse the program, while a minority, unchecked would constitute an escalating probability of disaster. [ transcriber窶冱 note: Mr. Smith, now a 窶徨ogue program窶 made so by the quintessential 窶彗nomaly窶 as Neo, is rapidly turning more and more of the system programs into copies of itself: thus, Neo has triggered a computer virus of non-compliance that will eventually take over every program in the system.]

Neo: This is about Zion.

Architect: You are here because Zion is about to be destroyed, It窶冱 every living inhabitant terminated, its entire existence eradicated.

Neo: Bull ****! [Simultaneous cries of 窶廝ull Shit窶 from other Neos in monitors around the walls.]

Architect: Denial is the most predictable of all human responses, but rest assured, this will be the sixth time we have destroyed it窶ヲ and we have become exceedingly efficient at it.

[Scene again shifts to Trinity desperately losing the fight with the Agent, exactly as Neo had been dreaming.]

Architect: The function of 窶弋he One窶 is now to return to the source allowing a temporary dissemination of the code you carry, re-inserting the prime program. After which, your will be required to select from the Matrix, 23 individuals: 16 female, 7 male, to rebuild Zion. Failure to comply with this process would result in a cataclysmic system crash, killing everyone connected to the Matrix, which coupled with the extermination of Zion would ultimately result in the extinction of the entire human race.

Neo: You won窶冲 let it happen. You can窶冲. You need human beings to survive.

Architect: There are levels of survival we are prepared to accept. However the relevant issue is whether or not you are willing to accept responsibility for the death of every human being in this world.

It is interesting reading your reactions. Your five predecessors were by design based on a similar predication: a contingent affirmation that was meant to create a profound attachment to the rest of your species, facilitating the function of 窶弋he One.窶 While the others experienced this in a very general way, your experience is far more specific, vis-テ?-vis: love.

Neo: Trinity!

Architect: Apropos, she entered the Matrix to save your life at the cost of her own.

Neo: No!

Architect: Which brings us at last to the moment of truth wherein the fundamental flaw is ultimately expressed and the anomaly revealed as both beginning and end.

There are two doors. The door on your right leads to the Source and the salvation of Zion. The door to your left leads back to the Matrix, to her, and to the end of your species. As so you adequately put: the problem is choice.

But we already know what you are going to do, don窶冲 we? Already I can see the chain reaction. The chemical precursors that signal the onset of an emotion, designed specifically to overwhelm logic and reason. An emotion that is already blinding you from the simple and obvious truth: that she is going to die, and there is nothing you can do to stop it.

[Neo calmly turns to his left and walks toward the door in that direction.]

Architect: Hope. It is the quintessential human delusion that is simultaneously the source of your greatest strength and your greatest weakness.

Neo: [Stops before the door, not turning to face the Architect but saying to him just before leaving:] If I were you, I would hope that we do not meet again.

Architect: We won窶冲.

Important notes:

Is councilor Hamen trying to hint, as did the Oracle, that perhaps man and machines are inseparably dependant on each other? That this 窶徨eal world窶 is simply another kind of, or another part of The Matrix? By saying that he has no idea how the water recycler works, and then immediately, how Neo does what he does, is he hinting that Neo is also a machine, a program from the system? If so, this explains how Mr. Smith is able to enter the 窶徨eal world窶 just as Neo does. The 窶徨eal world窶 is accessible to programs just as the Maatrix is, because the 窶徨eal world窶 is another part of, the Matrix.

The Architect implies that Neo is himself a program, when he compares Neo with his predecessors, and also says: 窶廬t is interesting reading your reactions. Your five predecessors were by design based on a similar predication: a contingent affirmation that was meant to create a profound attachment to the rest of your species, facilitating the function of 窶弋he One.窶 He implies that all Neo, like his predecessors, was 窶彭esigned,窶 like everything else in the Matrix.

On two occasions, the Merilvincian compares Neo with his predecessors, once claiming that he窶囘 survived them, and will survive this one too.

The Architect implies that the Oracle, the belief in her, and her advice and instructions are actually a form of control, by the system: a way of controlling, and isolating the 1% of the population that choose not to participate in the Matrix. 窶弋he One窶 is her prediction, is found based on her instructions, and utilized by the system through your instructions, to control, isolate, and periodically purge the system of those who 窶彡hoose窶 not to participate in the Matrix.

While Neo defies his designed purpose, to take the door to the right, (just as he was designed to do), Zion is wiped out, yet there remain the crew of the two remaining ships at the end of the movie. Could these remainder be 16 male, and 7 female needed for the 7th rebuilding of Zion, thus allowing the Matrix to 窶徨eboot窶 free of the effects of the anomaly created by 窶彡hoice窶? the 窶彗nomaly窶 triggered by the quintessential anomaly: Neo, and manifested in the computer virus running rampant as the ever-spreading, disobedient, viral Mr. Smith?

In the first movie, Mr. Smith in hatred described humanity as a virus. Ironically, Mr. Smith became a virus himself.

Mr. Smith was able to change a human program into a copy of himself, and actually enter the 窶徨eal world.窶 This calls into question the very existence of the 窶徨eal world窶? Since Zion is a control mechanism by which to isolate, confine, and separate the 1% that choose not to participate in the Matrix, from the 99% that do choose to participate, then is Zion itself, still a part of the Matrix? Is this why Mr. Smith can enter the 窶徨eal world窶 too? Is this why Neo窶冱 窶徘owers窶 also apply in the 窶徨eal world?窶 If so, is there a 窶徨eal world窶 at all?

If there is no 窶徨eal world窶 apart from the Matrix, then there is not now, nor has there ever been anything but The Matrix. This seriously challenges our own belief in our own 窶徨eal窶 world as an illusion like the Matrix. Perhaps we are beings of Light and of Mind, made in 窶廨ods Image窶? trapped not in machine pods, believing in a computer generated world, but rather, trapped in bodies of flesh and blood, believing in an imaginary world composed of mental 窶徘rograms窶 (habits) and mental constructs or belief systems, without which, as beings of Light and Mind, we could not 窶徑ive窶昶?ヲ that is to say, we could not 窶彳xperience窶 life. As Cypher so clearly tried to say in the first movie, Without the illusion of the 窶徨eal world窶 and the sensory illusion provided by the 窶徼raps窶 of flesh and blood in which we live, Beings of Light and Mind cannot directly feel the wind on our cheek, the taste of adventurous food, the thrill of danger, the drama of suffering and horror, and all the other sensual delights that the senses of flesh and blood offer.

Thus the Oracle, like mystics of many traditions, one who loves the illusion of life, and also loves the knowledge of how life really works as an illusion created by the Mind, as a trap for beings of Light, that they might partake of the experience that is Life.

Personally, I would have attached a "Spoiler" warning in the header if you were gonna copy the dialogue verbatim for the sake of those who haven't seen it yet, but oh well...

I thought the movie was passable, but by no means as good as I had hoped it would be (or the trailers had implied). Too much convoluted dialogue along the lines of "Is Neo the one or not?/will he save humanity or not?" just kind of fell on deaf ears and was hard to follow... Not to mention an abundance of plot points that made little to no sense. If Mr. Smith felt Neo was responsible for severing his ties with the Matrix and thus endowing him with "free will" so to speak (making him a rogue program), then why is his agenda still the same as before? In other words, he spends the entire movie trying to track and take down Neo which he did in the first movie before he became "free."

Sure, the action sequences were choreographed nicely and were nice enough eye candy, but even some of the shots during the rooftop battle with the multiple Smiths came across as obviously CG and a bit cheesy. By far though the worst point of the movie for me though was the rather abrupt "to be concluded" ending which really felt forced... Even the LotR and Star Wars trilogies (first two movies anyways) had some sense of closure with a hint of things to come.

All in all, a decent film and good summer fare--although while it did not live up to my expectations, X-2 on the other hand did. This will be a great summer for genre fans, with The Incredible Hulk, Terminator 3, 2Fast 2Furious, and a whole slew of other movies just around the corner...
:)

Wow... did you just type that all up yourself? Geez, I can't understand the Matrix at all, now I can tell my sis all this crap about it. ^_~

Back
Top Bottom