What's new

[Manga]What does this narrating sentence mean ? 空々しい言葉を翻訳すると、勝算はあるのだろうな、といったところか

zeroh4nter

後輩
17 Aug 2021
While i'm reading a manga , i met this sentence of the Narrator
空々しい言葉を翻訳すると、勝算はあるのだろうな、といったところか。
With my limited JP , i'm not sure about the meaning so if anyone can please correct my understanding of this sentence if it's wrong ,and explain to me . Thanks o/
(my guess : " I guess if we translate those empty hypocritical words ,it means there is a winning chance " but i'm not sure)

P/s: added context (i'm using OCR software to scan so it could be messy a bit)
context : a subordinate came to help a general ,during a castle siege when the Imperial army of this general is being outnumbered vs the bandit army.But actually this subordinate is trying to trick this general into buying his "mercenary /product" inside a horse carriage behind him .He told the general that he don't need to accept 1v1 challenge from the Bandit army's general ,it could be a trap .Instead buy his mercenary to do that for him
Subordinate (丁原):「あの賊との立ち合いの際に毒矢でも射られ、将軍が倒れることがあれば、この軍は総崩れになりましょう。あのような賊如きに将軍が出るまでもありますまい」
ようやく助け舟を出されていることに気づいたらしい。朱儁の声からは先程にはなかった尊大さが戻っている。
Subordinate:『……ふふ、現金な御仁よ!』
かかった、と丁原は確信する。そう、この時がこの丁原が立身出世の端緒。
そして天下はあいつの名を知るのだ!
General: "So ,what should i do here ?"
Subordinate (丁原):「……ここは、この我が手の者にお任せあれ!!」
General「よくぞ申してくれた……!この朱公偉、賊の言葉に腸の煮える思いであった……。しかし、漢朝廷より大軍の指揮を預かる身どうして、迂闊な真似ができようか!」
空々しい言葉を翻訳すると、勝算はあるのだろうな、といったところか。
うやうやしく返礼すると、丁原は自分の後方に控えた幌に手を向けた。

The first part is OK, but the general is confirming 丁原 if there really is a winning chance in 勝算はあるのだろうな.

The first part is OK, but the general is confirming 丁原 if there really is a winning chance in 勝算はあるのだろうな.
but from the dialogue , the subordinate is the one who was trying to tell "empty ,phony words" to the general , and tricking him to buy his mercenary ?

Back
Top Bottom