What's new

Learning Kanji or language first?

Valashu-kun

先輩
3 Jul 2007
Hello there,

I have a question regarding to learn kanji and the Japanese language. I am currently learning on the site kanji-step.com:
Is it wise to first learn kanji before actually learn how to speak Japanese? Meaning I can translate the kanji figures but have no idea what it means. Or first learning the language meaning I have no idea how to write it. I currently have a textbook "Japanese for busy people". Here they recommend I should know at least Hiragana when I am halve way the textbook. But I heard that its wise to learn katakana first, which is often used at sign boards and menu's in Japan. This sounds convenient since I will be going to Japan in august.
Well I do know some basic Japanese to the level I can recognize sentences and words, due some dedicated anime watching. 😅

Ty in advance, and I want to apologise if this topic is already on the forum, I did some browsing but couldn't find one specific enough to answer my question.

Hiragana and katakana first! They are extremely important...because in order to decipher how to read kanji you need to at least know hiragana ^^

Then build up on grammar structures, vocabulary and ease yourself into kanji.

Hiragana and katakana first! They are extremely important...because in order to decipher how to read kanji you need to at least know hiragana ^^

Then build up on grammar structures, vocabulary and ease yourself into kanji.

☝ And after that the language? Like I said I was working on Hirigana, I just wonderd which I should learn first, Hirigana or katakana. Sorry if I confused you 😌

:geek: And after that the language? Like I said I was working on Hiragana, I just wondered which I should learn first, Hiragana or katakana. Sorry if I confused you 😅

It doesn't really matter. Learn them both early.
You can do it in 1-2 months.

Back
Top Bottom