What's new

Korean Comedy

Limonette

先輩
7 Aug 2005
I saw 'Attack at the Gas Station' and 'Break Out' - both coincidentally Korean comedies. I liked 'Attack' especially, but then 'Break Out' was funny, with the additional bonus of having two cute actors, and that nutty guy from the first film. (argh how do you make photos smaller so I can put 'em in here?). Nix the photos of cute guys. Anyhoo...so I decided to search Korean comedy on the web and found this article:

Southeast Asia's Airlines Are Pretty Much No More Dangerous Than American Ones

I was suprised, since I just watched 2 funny Korean movies, that they said Koreans had a reputation for "people who lack humor". So what do you think -true, not true? Did you agree or disagree with the article? I think oppression can breed humor as well, it's a way to deal.

Also, tell me about Korean comedy, what's it like? And any recommendations for fave comedians, and comedy films? I think this was touched upon in another thread, but I've been wanting to start this thread for awhile.

Ok I think I found a way to show those cutie guys - ( sorry - it seems comedians are my pop stars, if you're a straight guy - never mind!) under "pictures" top row, 3rd and 4th pics

Break Out (Korean Movie, 2002, 라이터를 켜라)

(now it's a miracle if those both work)

how weird - the photos changed order - well it's the 2 pics with just 2 guys in it. Click to make them bigger, (they're cuter bigger) I liked the 'sad sack' right away, but then, the 'gangster guy' in the black suit, I didn't notice him right away but somewhere in the middle of the movie his acting got to me...now this is already turning into a cute guy thread...save it

Ooh I havent seen that one!
One Korean comedy that I can highly recommend is "sex is zero". Its about Dorm life at University, and all the tragic things they get upto. Hilarious 90% of the time, but there is a very very sad part in it too. One of my favourites.

Hmm about your questions about Korean comedy, I think in general koreans dont like to portray a silly impression on themselves, so they look to the tv and movies to laugh at other people making dicks of themselves, perhaps in order to save face? Thats just my opinion though, its not based on anything solid. I have a bunch of korean friends in Seoul, and we are all just absolutely stupid and have the best time when we are together, but always I have been the only female. Guys tend to let their hair down a bit more than girls.

There are hundreds of comedy shows, and funny game shows on in Korea. 90% of the guys are MUCH more handsome than your two guys... you should check them out if you ever have the chance.

Oh, Jungle juice was another film I found extremely funny, but most of my korean friends hated it, because it has sex and drugs in it. These parts were what made the film funny, maybe they just worry that it looks bad for korea.

Let me think of other Korean films I've seen, and I will get back to you. So much eye candy hehe.

Excellent - thanks for the movie recommendations. Oh you're lucky you sound like you have a cool bunch of friends there. Can I come live with you???? (just kidding) Thanks for your theory.

Wow that's alot of handsome guys. Well, on the other hand I don't think their pictures gave them enough credit since, though I think they're nice looking, it's more their charisma that got me. Kim Seung-woo - funny and he's got a sweet vulnerability about him. And Cha Seung-won - something very cool about him. So I don't think the photos give them justice (tho their other photos when you click on their names are much nicer). I'm not used to Korean names yet. It's a curse that the more I learn about something, the more interested I am in it. It's really too bad...

Heheh, you dont want to live with me, even though I live with about 20-30 guys and im the only girl. There are only a couple of cuties.
You'd either want to live in certain areas of Seoul, or by the beach here in Busan!
How do you get your Korean movies? I have to watch them without subtitles, would be nice once in a while to understand the WHOLE movie, not just small fragments. Sometimes I laugh when perhaps I shouldnt.

Well I love hanging around guys no matter what they look like. They're fun. And also looks isn't necessarily the reason I'm attracted to guys, so I'd be missing all the great ones with the inner qualities I like. However, from what you say Korea would be a nice place to take a tour of good looking guys. I could hit Seoul, then the beach in Busan, and whereever else they hang out with my binoculars. It would be a new kind of tourism. I don't suppose I can get subtitles with those guys? That would be a good one for tourism of the future to figure out.

I saw my movies on cable tv - Attack was a pay one on On Demand - Break Out was on the AZN channel. AZN the american-asian channel has all kind of good asian movies all subtitled. They also have tv shows, Japan, India, and even a show on Korea. They explore different Korean things such as cooking with Spam, and karaoke. Also I think they have a few Korean films at Netflix. I imagine Korea would be a hard place to find movies with english subtitles. You might try ordering some from Amazon.com or Ebay, but that could get expensive if you just want to rent. I might be able to send you some if you're interested, I have a DVD recorder, and it's supposed to work with most DVD players.

Lexico is funny so I knew all Koreans don't lack humor already. I'm surprised he's not here up in arms like "Whatdyamean NO sense of humor!?"

Hmm sorry if I gave the impression that all koreans were boring and seriously lacking in humour. Perhaps I was having a bad day.
I laugh at my boyfriend all the time, he cracks me up pretty much every time he opens his mouth. Doesnt own a hand mirror either, but isnt afraid to spend a bit of time before leaving the house in front of one.
Thanks for the offer of the DVD's, but at this stage I dont have a DVD player. Not since Dad sold the apartment and the car with everything in it. (My boyfriends father, not mine). So basically we have to start from scratch haha.
Still trying to remember names of some others... wish you could get some of the game shows there, they really are top quality stuff!

Limonette said:
I read the whole thing and it wasn't funny. Maybe I am a Puritan or one of the lost Jewish tribes. :? But thenl I reread the title, "A FUNNY THING HAPPENED: A Korean comic makes people laugh - and think." That's a real good one. Ahaaaahahahaha... :D:D:D
I was suprised, since I just watched 2 funny Korean movies, that they said Koreans had a reputation for "people who lack humor." So what do you think -true, not true? Did you agree or disagree with the article ? I think oppression can breed humor as well, it's a way to deal.
Oppression ? What time are we talking about ? 1941 ? :devilish:
Also, tell me about Korean comedy, what's it like ? And any recommendations for fave comedians, and comedy films ? I think this was touched upon in another thread, but I've been wanting to start this thread for awhile.
As far as I can recall 1960's-1970's were pure slapstick which were totally tasteless, and I cut that part out of what I thought was comedy proper. In the 1980's started somewhat more relaxed, sillier language-oriented stuff that made more sense after getting used to the new art form. Unfortunately it was mostly language based like French humour, so was impossible to translate. "What did the mourners not like about the funeral ? The coffin."-- this one would rely heavily on the word beer and bier (for instance)

I totally missed out on the ones from the 1990's, but the ones that are popular today are (apart from the lowest kind of game shows employing brainless celeb in a brainless manner) the light comedy. Try watching GAG CONCERT if you speak the language. Some are still lame, but the good ones are quite funny. They poking fun at almost everything imaginable -- there is no taboo, here, afaik. Maybe the Mr. Kim Byung Kyun was referring to more serious stuff-- too bad he had the Revenue Serivice on his back. That reminds me of Exotica with the gay, rare-tropical-bird-smuggler who helps the straight IRS guy who got caught in a psychological trap at a strip joint where the ex-teen age baby sitter now dances for a living -- she is his only meaningful connection to the outer world since his family got murdered.
Ok I think I found a way to show those cutie guys - ( sorry - it seems comedians are my pop stars, if you're a straight guy - never mind!) under "pictures" top row, 3rd and 4th pics
It works both ways; Robbin Williams is my god !
I still have to see this one...

I dont think you have to speak the language fluently to enjoy GAG concert, and maybe its because I dont speak the language fluently that I do enjoy the lowest kind of game shows with brainless celebs using their brainless manner? Easier for dummys like me to understand, and enjoy when the only movies in English here are shockers from the 80's and 90's. Keeps me slightly sane when there is nothing else to do.

Well Kara Nari - it was more the article that said they lacked humor that I was referring to. Your boyfriend sounds like he has just the right amount of vain, and a great sense of humor - you're lucky.

That's weird about 'Dad' selling everything. It must have been a shock to come home to nothing. Weirdness. I wonder why if it's not too personal. At least it makes an interesting story, when you get over the grief, lol.

Well I guess dvds won't help you then. Yeah let me know if you think of any other good movies or tv shows. Sometimes we get subtitled dramas, there was one - I don't know where from called "Funny Weird Girl" or something like that. But I didn't watch it.

On the Korean show today they taught us how to get drunk Korean style. First there was a drink made out of sweet potatoes, it's not very strong, like wine strength. You pour it for the other person using both hands. Then you say "We hire". Then there's something called lemon soju. It's like a girl drink made with lemons. Now, if you add limes to that, it would be perfect for me, a lemon lime drink for a girl. (sometimes I like girl drinks, but not so much as the Dave Foley girl drink drunk character). Then I think they had something called onju? Sounds like it's short for orange juice, but I don't think that's what it meant. And when you eat and drink, you hold the drink in one hand, the food in the other hand, and you eat first, then drink. Then the guy says "Word." But I don't think that's a Korean thing. So that could come in handy, even though I rarely if ever get sloshed.

This is a long post so I better use "quotes"

I read the whole thing and it wasn't funny. Maybe I am a Puritan or one of the lost Jewish tribes. :? But thenl I reread the title, "A FUNNY THING HAPPENED: A Korean comic makes people laugh - and think." That's a real good one. Ahaaaahahahaha...

LOL :D

Oppression ? What time are we talking about ? 1941 ?

I was thinking of the movie "Trainspotting" when the guy says something about the Scots being the lowest of the low and that they had good humor, but it's been so long ago I can't remember. Also the Jewish people over the centuries have been very oppressed, and there are alot of very funny Jewish people. They even had a series of "Heroes of Jewish Comedy" on Comedy Central. I think Harlan Ellison the writer and Jon Stewart are both funny with a political conscience, which I like.

As far as I can recall 1960's-1970's were pure slapstick which were totally tasteless, and I cut that part out of what I thought was comedy proper.

I wonder if that was a Korean thing purely because it seems the 60's here had alot of slapsticky type humor too. Not all but more than now I think. Like Laugh In and alot of movies. It could be totally Korean tho - I just wondered.

Thanks for explaining all that about the comedy - very interesting.

That reminds me of Exotica with the gay, rare-tropical-bird-smuggler who helps the straight IRS guy who got caught in a psychological trap at a strip joint where the ex-teen age baby sitter now dances for a living -- she is his only meaningful connection to the outer world since his family got murdered.

Wha? Very odd plot that, lol. I hope they show that one on our AZN channel.

It works both ways; Robbin Williams is my god !I still have to see this one...[/

So Robin Williams is God? That explains why the world is so funny...

Yeah Break Out has a very funny premise, which I won't give away - I recommend it lots.

I should request the GAG concert and game shows on our cable channel. I wonder if Korean and Japanese have alot of similar words, like Spanish and English? So if you learn one - it's easier to learn the other? (probly just wishful thinking on my part). I thought it sounded a bit Japanese with a Chinese twang, but I'm very unfamiliar with it so I may be totally wrong about that.

I just saw an interesting Japanese movie - 'Taboo' - Nagisa Oshima film. But the language sounds like "blah blah blah blah kudasai, blah blah blah desu..." I used to love watching movies with languages like French and Japanese that I didn't know at all, because you just hear the pure language without any meaning. Hey I don't feel bad about getting off on tangents here since I started this thread - excellent!

Im british so i have a degree of snobbish humor, and our comedy sometimes tries to be clever or "thats smart".

On the other scale it tends to be pretty low-brow.

But what really defines british comedy is that only the brits get it :p

Anyway, ive never seen korean comedy but ive seen some japanese stuff, and if its similar, its hard to find it funny, its just i dunno....too in your face, and painful for the poor victims, :p, and generally by my personal opinion not as funny as a well told joke, ala stand up comedian. A good stand up comedian can get me nearly coughing up my lungs from laughing so much.

Finally, who here has seen trigger happy TV, if i remember what its called, that was class.

Yeah, I have seen those Japanese 'game shows' too, but the Korean ones are more user friendly, basically because they use celebrities, and their vanity would prevent them from doing anything that might disrupt their hair or what not. (hahah im just kidding, I like to paint silly pictures)
The movie 'My Sassy Girl' (sometimes known as 'My strange girlfriend' or other interesting translations) might be what you were talking about... top stuff, you gotta see that one! Basically its about a girl and she is very dominating, to the point where she makes her boyfriend wear her high heels so she can wear his trainers. She gets violent if he doesnt do as she says.
IF you like horrors, watch 'Cello' ooh it made my blood tingle!
Hehehehe, are you sure you're up for the 'lemon soju'? Basically soju is like distilled Gin or Vodka, yet they refer to it as 'wine' heh, evil wine I say! However didnt stop me from overindulging last night. Binge drinking is a big thing here, I was missing my 'Pizza bridge' in Seoul, but I have a new one even closer to where I live here! (Pizza bridge is a name my friends have for bridges with lots of puke on it).

There are a few words similar to Japanese in Korean, but not enough to make any legible conversation out of. The grammar is very very similar, so its easier in that sense.
I lived with some asian guys in Auckland, and the place was the top floor of an english school, we would go down and watch their projector screen TV and there were always lots of Koreans in there and dayummm were they sexy. I just fell in love with the Korean language then, I had always had interests, and knew very little korean at the time. Its rather romantic to listen to when a man speaks korean. Not so much the women though, its a little nasaly and nagging sounding, however I think I have perfected that part of the pronunciation hahahaha.
About the apartment, Daddy dearest didnt think my b/f was coming back ever. Even he wasnt sure if he was, so yeah he just sold the lot. Got a bit of a shock when he got a 'Im home' phone call....
Just trying to think of more movies now, I will ask b/f for some recommendations.

Oh yeah... Anju is the word for side dishes while drinking. Its very important in Korea to buy anju, because they are strongly against drinking without food, hence the reason there are so MANY pizza bridges. Most Hofs (bars) give you free anju, but you are expected to buy a main dish also. Regardless of whether you have just had dinner elsewhere and cant eat another drop.
Some classy hof's have side dishes which represent a dinner party... super tasty, and they just keep coming and coming. Good thing too, is that if you like something you can have more and more without paying extra.
So going out for dinner, knowing that you intend to get boozed afterwards is just silly. One or the other, but koreans have a fascinating bottomless stomach, the amount of food they can put away amazes me.
Lemon soju is ok, my favourite which I tried for the first time the other night is Peach soju, ooh its great! You can also get Yoghurt soju (sort of like an alcoholic smoothie), cucumber soju which supposedly stops you from having a hangover the next day, and um other things, but all this talk of soju is making my head sore. Soju doesnt give you a hangover, but you can get a bit of a headache if you over induldge.
You should come to Korea, I can teach you alot about drinking hahaha. My favourite thing to do is just sit outside a convenience store and drink, and watch the people. Hehe thats just when Im poor though, which is most of the time.
Wow this has gotten much longer than I intended.

Back
Top Bottom