What's new

Travel News Kinkakuji's gold-plated roof to undergo renovation

thomas

Unswerving cyclist
Admin
14 Mar 2002
While the numbers of visitors to Kyoto are as low as never before, Kinkakuji's famed golden roof will undergo renovation. The repair works are scheduled to be completed in three months.

full

kinkakuji-renovation.jpg

The pavilion cannot be viewed during the renovation works (photo credit: Kyodo)

Kinkakuji Temple

Temple  Kinkakuji Temple

Kinkaku-ji (金閣寺), the Temple of the Golden Pavilion, formally known as Rokuon-ji (鹿苑寺 “Deer Garden Temple”), is located in Kyōto’s Kita Ward and belongs to the Shōkokuji (相国寺) branch of the Rinzai sect of Zen Buddhism. Kinkakuji is built on the site of an estate of the aristocrat Saionji no...

Love kinkakuji and it's garden(s), but it's such a hassle to go there by bus as there always seems to be traffic jams.

A 3 month renovation time doesn't seem to bad... Ok ok maybe a comparison with 5 years of renovation for Himeji castle isn't the best hehe

I've been to Kinkakuji twice I think. I only really remember the first time as the second I was too busy tending to little kids. Its impressive to see in person but there really isn't too much to the place. Also, its a bit over the top for me. Gold plating a building? It seems like something a rapper or maybe Trump would do, though I would imagine it would look gaudy compared to this.

I like kinkakuji for its photogenic qualities but I like silver-plated ginkakuji for it's calm, peaceful atmosphere.

I totally concur and use your post to shamelessly plug our article. :)

Ginkakuji Temple

Temple  Ginkakuji Temple

Ginkaku-ji (銀閣寺), the Temple of the Silver Pavilion, formally known as Jishō-ji (慈照寺, “Temple of Shining Mercy”), is located in Kyōto’s Sakyō Ward and belongs to the Shōkokuji (相国寺) branch of the Rinzai sect of Zen Buddhism. Ginkakuji stands on the site of an abandoned Tendai monastery, the...

Back
Top Bottom