What's new

Kanji Radicals

naark

先輩
22 Oct 2011
i just realized that my way of learning kanji was really wrong, so now i shifted to learning it by parts
or something called radicals(as everyone knows).......
just a question here ~ which of these radical sheets should i be using???
cause they had some differences on how they give meanings to radicals....
below are the links where i got the sheets...
please check them out....

http://www.textfugu.com/downloads/extras/kanji-radicals.pdf

thanks in advance

The latter one is better. The former one uses the original kanji form for some radicals instead of the correct form as a radical.

There are many hypotheses regarding the etymology of each radicals, so you don't need to worry too much about their meanings. I recommend to remember just typical ones, like sanzui(water), kusakanmuri(grass), tehen(hand), ninben(person), kihen(tree), kemonohen(animal)....

just as i thought...
i really found some meanings on the other one really trivial...
such as "Nelly's got a knife"
thank you very much....
kanji become more fun to learn with these radicals....
weeeeeeeeee

Hola,
I am so sorry, but I always thought that 子 is two stroke radical and in Your table it marked as 3 strokes. Also, I always
was interesting how is determined real meaning of radical. For example, 心 is a heart, and in Your table it is 'grave slide'.
Or 艮 I found that it is 'stopping' before, and 'good' in Your chart. Looks like that radicals meaning is very unstable.
You can find many different charts with kanjui radicals in internet, and they are all different. That, for example : Radical Index

Also, some radicals has different writing depending on which part of kanji it appear, chart You are using does not
reflect that.

Sorry for my humble, just 2c.

@ewww
the kanji for 子 was really done in 3 strokes..i dont know of where you learned it with just 2 strokes...
and the 心(kokoro) ~ yes it has a meaning of "grave slide" on the other chart but its meaning on the the second one was still "heart"(which i prefered)
THAT'S THE REASON I MADE THIS THREAD, i mean to select which of the two was better...
and yes, kanji and its radicals etimology was really unstable since it was made by chinese thousand of years ago so you can't easily say what's the real etimology....

anyways thanks for the concern but i'll still use it to device my own mnemonics on kanji...

Back
Top Bottom