What's new

JRock suggestions

Well I have Six Ugly anyway (1st press.. <laughs>) If anyone wants a.. ahem.. copy of either Missa, Gauze, Macabre, Kisou or Six Ugly by Dir en Grey, or Limit Control or Beat Rip by Aucifer and a couple of others by Glay and Luna Sea who's titles I can;t remember right now because the boxes are at my other house and I never memorized them in the first place.

I'd love to help!

xxStarxx

Theres a new alt. rock group called Road to Major (ro-doobumeja-). They may have one song, but its a best seller in Japan now :D. Try their debut single Taisetsu na mono. Very catchy song

😊 Dir en Gray is good, and I also think that Luna sea is a little tamer, but non the less good too. Malice Mizer was a goth band so that explains a lot.

The lead singer of Dir en Grey just seems to pour himslef into every song that he sings. 😍

Gackuto isn't J-Rock anymore. He's only considered so b/c of his former position in Malice Mizer

Ooooo I lurve hide. and Dir en Grey. *snurggles Kyo* and Aliene Ma'riage is really good too. and Siam Shade, Plastic Tree, Pierrot, Orivia, Skull, Due le Quartz (they broke up 'cuz Kikasa left the band >.<), Miyavi (formerly "Miyabi" - DLQ's guitarist), many many more..!

Jeni-Jeni

hello.
I recommend Jeni-Jeni 4 u.
perhaps you don't know about this band and I've just knew this band recently.
they're still indies band so i think it's hard to get their CDs.

and another!
I highly recommend ONMYOUZA.
they say it's heavy metal band.
ONMYOUZA has twin vocalist and twin guitarist.
its lyrics are based on Japanese traditonal cultures.
and some songs, their musical scales conform to Japanese scales.
the members wear kimono at live stages.

attachment image is the latest album of ONMYOUZA,
窶撤窶犯停?氾吮?慊オ(HOYOKU RINDO)

Attachments

• onmyo_hoyoku.jpg
    onmyo_hoyoku.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 160
Last edited:
Wow, onmyouza sound like just the kind of band I need to start listening to - I'm studying traditional Japaese music as part of my reasearch postgraduate degree and love to listen to what other people are doing with it. Any ideas where I can download some mp3's (I very much doubt my little London shops will sell the CD's.. they only have X Japan, a little Dir en Grey, Ayumi.. that kind of thing!)

>midnitestar7 san
hello!
Are you a student of music school??
that's great!😍
you should listen ONMYOUZA!
because...Kuroneko(ONMYOUZA vocalist) sing some songs
like Japanese folk songs or like she was an enka (Japanese ballad) singer though ONMYOZUA is the heavy metal band!

I have some ONMYOUZA mp3s but I don't know how to send you
these files...:sorry:
I would like to know what options are available to me...
(if you know the way.)

well,I know these sites. you can listen to some part of their early works here.
1st album
http://www.cdjournal.com/guide/BECB8/BECB8B32.html

2nd album
http://www.cdjournal.com/guide/BEBDF/BEBDFA0E.html

*caution!*
you need Real Player and song titles are all written by Japanese!
[/color]

Hey there luzie! Thanks for all the information.

I am a research postgraduate student which means I've already taken my first degree in music and am now taking a second (kind of an extension) which specializes in whatever I want it to. I'm doing musical composition and Japanese ethnomusicology. This basically means what I'm doing is composing music, but I'm studying Japanese traditional music and incorporating it into my work. In fact, all my pieces put together from all the music for a computer game I've designed in my head (if I don't get to sing for a career, I want to compose for Japanese computer games!). Studying what other people are doing with Japanese trad music especially jrock bands is just the kind of thing I need to research so I'm really glad of the advice.

Okay, to send mp3s you can either e-mail me no more than 1 or 2 a day (my e-mail serve may die if there's more than that!) or you can streambeam them to me. If you have no idea what that is, go to www.streamload.com. You can set up a free account and 'streambeam' files to my account which means I can then download them from the net myself. You'll have to upload them to your account first but its all pretty simple. Private message me your e-mail address and we can talk more about it over e-mail if you need any help getting it sorted!

I can handle all the song titles being in Japanese. I'm learning right now so I might just understand something! <laughs>

I love unfinished, too!!
Oh I'm looking at you
can't control myself
nothing but Pain for me......

and I love "Crucify my love"

Last edited:
good J rock/pop bands

hmm I like L'arc en ciel, x, malice mizer, gackt, klaha, miyabi , and janne da arc the best but you also have dir en gray .... so many ^_^ if you like the rock gothic stuff go for malice if you like J pop Larc is always a good start ... ^_^ try honey (as the first song) and then .... Sell my soul is good :D
Kimi wa mamoru (Lyn hime? well ... she was a princes I gues... ツャツャ)

the best band i japan is siam shade cause x japan dont exist anymore but u should listen to hide,larc en ciel, x japan, dir en grey, glay,b'z and dope headz.
by the way does somebody know about a site where i can download dope headz songs?

:0 what? :0what?
(dragon ash song : deep impact)
i didnt know that.........when thats happend?
by the way do you website where i can download dope headz songs?

Here's what I've heard so far. I'll try to include as many bands, even a couple I don't like, to be fair:

Gackt - J-Rock/J-Pop. As his songs can be diverse, I can only say that his vocal range and strength is extremely fine-tuned. The general atmosphere is mysterious, moody, or fun, or somewhere in between. His instrumentals are wonderful (freesia op. 2; sekirei, instr. ver). Recommended song: seki-rei, birdcage.

L'arc en Ciel - J-Rock/J-Pop. Somewhat more diverse than Gackt, mostly because they have 10 or so albums to his 3 1/2. Can range from bossa nova-ish (nemuri no yosete) to dynamic (finale, forbidden lover) to grunge (Shi no Hai), to pop-rockish (most of the tracks from Clicked Singles Best), and much more. Recommended song: forbidden lover, finale.

Nobuyuki Hirakura - Did you like L'arc en Ciel? Nobuyuki isn't really in a band, but he did do some nice solo acoustics for L'arc en Ciel. Recommended song: forbidden lover.

Hyde - He is the vocalist from L'arc en Ciel. He only has had one full album out (two actually, but the second's the english version of the first), but that album is well heavily orchestrated. I expect he won't stick to one style, however. Recommended song: Shallow Sleep.

Luna Sea - They have three phases: Lunacy, pre-Shine and post-Shine (that's my own unofficial designation). Lunacy (indies period) is very heavy and dark, very angry. Pre-Shine is very innovative but still has the roughness of Lunacy. post-Shine might seem poppish as others have said, but to me it seems more like a more refined rock. In the latter they use more effects. Recommended song: Genesis of the Mind (pre-Shine); Breathe (post-Shine)

Lareine - Romantic rock. You would think it's french in atmosphere. Recommended song: Emeraude

New Sodmy - vocalist the same vocalist as the one for Lareine. Romantic rock. Unfortunately, I believe they've disbanded, but what they have is good. Recommended song - Romantic Season.

Buck Tick - Think Euro-Goth; although I think some might disagree with me. Recommended song: In heaven

FAKE? - The vocalist is half-british, so the english lyrics aren't as accented. Seems very similar to more Western modern rock. Recommended song: Eternal Satellites.

Lastier - I seldom see their music around, which is unfortunate. Most likely disbanded. I always think U2 when I hear them. Recommended song: SkY, for lack of knowing many other songs.

Hope that helped.

Originally posted by Xciel-shade
:0 what? :0what?
(dragon ash song : deep impact)
i didn't know that.........when thats happend?
by the way do your website where I can download dope headz songs?

March 10th 2002.
They did final concert at Tokyo Budokan.
They pursue solo stuff now.

Daita
http://www.sonymusic.co.jp/Music/Arch/SMER/Daita/
Kazuma
http://www.sonymusic.co.jp/Music/Info/vork/

sorry I don't know where you can download dope headz songs

these are the jrock bands that i listen too;

Miyavi
Due le Quartz
X-Japan
hide
Dir en Grey
MUCC
L'arc en ciel
Lareine
Kagrra
GLAY
Gackt
Psycho le Cemu
Malice Mizer
Moi Dix Mois
Duel Jewel
Pierrot
Luna Sea
Phobia

but i think most of them has already been mentioned...so yeah...:eek:

does anybody know a website of a jrock artists where i can send massege to the artist?
(very important)

Glay, Lareine, Larku, La'Cryma Christi, Gackt, Glay, X-Japan, TM Revolution, B'z...I can think of many more...more to come later

Okay Iceman and Access (Axs) Kotani Kinya's good if you're in for more of the sugar pop type of thing, Kra's good if you can find anything by them...Psycho Le Cemu is really good, of course the classics like Malice Mizer...and Moi Dix Mois is great as well

Well, that entirely depends on what song of him you listen to. Most of what he did solo is more in the pop-genre then rock.

I don't think it's really fair to put him into one corner or the other. It's Gackt and that's that.

L'arc en Ciel was amazing, although Hyde also did pretty good on his own but that's more soft rock...>_>

Back
Top Bottom