What's new

Japanese war related survey-for a more objective historical understanding!

lalakula7777

後輩
24 Oct 2004
Hi guys! There are 6 multiple choices on some war issues. I'm conducting this survey for the purpose of a historical term paper. Therefore objective judgment is very important. Please tolerate me if any of the questions sound offending, I am doing it for the pure purpose of true understanding. All forms of opinions are welcome! Please state your nationality in the reply. Thanks for your opinion and caring!^.^

1. General impression on Japanese people
a)They are peaceful (pacificist)
b)They are aggressive
c)They are brave and aggressive
d)They are ambitious and brutal
e)More accurate speaking, my opinion is...

2. Have you heard about the Nanking massacre 1937? (yes/no)

3. What do you think about the 3,000,000 killing? (Chinese government claim)
a) Number窶冱 been exaggerated.
b) I don窶冲 think it ever happened
c) That窶冱 about the right number as Nanking was populated.
d) I have no idea with numbers

4. What do you think about the Japanese aggression in China?
a) Japan invaded china, commited incredible horrific war crimes in the past
b)Japanese offended china in his colonization East. Japanese aim was expanding East, not particular China
c)There was some political issues going on, there was some misunderstanding in the invasion(in particular what? please clarify)
d)I know very little about it

5. How do you look at the Nanking massacre 1937?
a) The Japanese were awful, it was such a disaster
b) It was the result of the radical Japanese army, the Japanese government didn't make that decision
c) the massive killing was an exaggeration, the Chinese must have had bias due to some bad impression on Japanese army.
d)I've never heard of the Nanking massacre
e)I've heard about it, but I know very little about the details
f)It was all the deeds of the army or the government, the people were forced to follow
g)My opinion is none of above, it is....

6. What do you think about the Japanese ultimate aim over its colonization East?
a) Gain more power over the East, building a Japanese empire
b) Building a stronger Japan(economically/politically),and maintain world peace in East
c) Aggressive nature to conquer the world
d) I have a different opinion which is....

Last edited:
I am a American, Well in answer to your questions.

1) E: Japanese people today are a very honorable people, they are respectful of different nationalities, and their customs. I knew a japanese girl, who came to my school, and attended classes with me, and she was the most respectful person ive ever met.

2) I Yes it was a horrible exercise conducted by the Japanese Genro to display their military capabilities to the entire world.

3)I will say C.

4) I will say A, because Japan did invade China, and held Manchuria from World War I to the end of World War II.

5)I will say F

6)I say A.

Another American:

1) E: During the first part of the century they were agressive. Now they are fairly passifistic. Culturally and individually I think you will find them quite agreeable

2): yes
3): C is accurate
4): A
5): A & F
6): A

lalakula7777 said:
Nanking massacre 1937? (yes/no)

That number is definitely exaggerated. I suppose, you meant to write 300,000? Never heard that even the Chinese gouvernment would claim millions of victims.

They are peaceful (pacificist)

2. Have you heard about the Nanking massacre 1937?
Yes

3. What do you think about the 3,000,000 killing?

Answer; None of your choices are correct

g)My opinion is none of above, it is a long time ago,
and Japan suffered a defeat. Two cities were
attacked with nuclear bombs. Many cities were
destroyed by fire-bombing. The Japanese attitude
isn't perfect, but the did suffer horrible for the war.

6. What do you think about the Japanese ultimate aim over its colonization East?

d) I have a different opinion which is that 1930-1945 is a long time
ago. Yes war criminals in japan should have been punished more,
but they are all dead now. The world has moved on.

p.s: my grandfather was part of Chinese history. they lived
in Shanghia right before the war. my grandfather was german.
my father was invited to the 50'th anniversary of the
"Rape-Of-Nanking", by the Chinese government.
my father went to this, and gave some lectures.

They are peaceful, aggressive, friendly, naive, ambitious and brutal, they are what their government expects them to be.

2. Have you heard about the Nanking massacre 1937? yes

I have no idea with numbers.

b)Japanese offended china in his colonization East. Japanese aim was expanding East, not particular China

f)It was all the deeds of the army AND the government, the people (soldiers) were forced to follow

d) I have a different opinion which is....too long to write down now

lalakula7777 said:
Hi guys! There are 6 multiple choices on some war issues. I'm conducting this survey for the purpose of a historical term paper. Therefore objective judgment is very important. Please tolerate me if any of the questions sound offending, I am doing it for the pure purpose of true understanding. All forms of opinions are welcome! Please state your nationality in the reply. Thanks for your opinion and caring!^.^

b)They are aggressive
c)They are brave and aggressive
d)They are ambitious and brutal
e)More accurate speaking, my opinion is...

b) I don窶冲 think it ever happened
c) That窶冱 about the right number as Nanking was populated.
d) I have no idea with numbers

c)There was some political issues going on, there was some misunderstanding in the invasion(in particular what? please clarify)
d)I know very little about it

b) It was the result of the radical Japanese army, the Japanese government didn't make that decision
c) the massive killing was an exaggeration, the Chinese must have had bias due to some bad impression on Japanese army.
d)I've never heard of the Nanking massacre
e)I've heard about it, but I know very little about the details
f)It was all the deeds of the army or the government, the people were forced to follow

b) Building a stronger Japan(economically/politically),and maintain world peace in East
c) Aggressive nature to conquer the world
d) I have a different opinion which is....

I don't think nationality really matters...

1)B,in the past
2)yes
3)A
4)A
5)A
6)A

I'm currently reading a book called Flyboys by an author named Bradley which recounts Japan's attrocities in China and gives a very high figure (30,000,000) for the number of deaths during Japan's occupation. A strain of plague purposely introduced by the Japanese continues to kill in China, adding to this amount.

The numbers are huge, and I have no way of verifying them, dismissing them, or arguing them- I don't know what these numbers include (since Mao and Chiang were fighting eachother during the same time and the Chinese agrarian economy was in collapse) but I do know that the numbers are probably staggering.

sabro said:
I'm currently reading a book called Flyboys by an author named Bradley which recounts Japan's attrocities in China and gives a very high figure (30,000,000) for the number of deaths during Japan's occupation. A strain of plague purposely introduced by the Japanese continues to kill in China, adding to this amount.
30,000,000 is probably exaggerated. I read something of 15.5 million victims for the whole Pacific war theatre (according to Rummel some 4 million of those were Chinese victims of the Japanese). Don't know if that includes numbers before 1941, though (& don't know anything about this plague strain).

1 => If you are talking about modern Japanese, then A. Until 1945, C or D for many men (motsly in the army)
2 => Of course
3 => I have never heard of 3 million. The official Chinese number is 300,000. It might be slightly exaggerated, but there is no way to know for sure.
4 => a bit of A, B and C. Japan wanted to prove the West that it could be as strong as them and become a colonial power. But the army committed abuses, and the Emperor (the real head of state) was complacent about it.
5 => A and B
6 => A and B (not very different anyway) + see answer to Q.4.

The 30,000,000 claim is ten times what the history book we use says. Total war deaths for China are listed at 3,000,000, about half that number is civillian (Houghtan Mifflan). The book doesn't list Nanking deaths separately. It doesn't say how they arrived at these figures. Our California textbooks are not known for accuracy.

sabro said:
The 30,000,000 claim is ten times what the history book we use says. Total war deaths for China are listed at 3,000,000, about half that number is civillian (Houghtan Mifflan). The book doesn't list Nanking deaths separately. It doesn't say how they arrived at these figures. Our California textbooks are not known for accuracy.
If you're interested in this stuff you may want to have a look at Rummel's Death By Government (1994). Haven't read it myself, but Rummel is said to be one of the main capacities in that field of research.

Here is a table regarding Japanese democide in WWII from Rommel's website. On his website you can also find the preface & other tables from the afore-mentioned book.

The six questions- what are the results?

I never separated Chinese deaths from WWII from those specifically killed at Nanking. Bossel's citation above gives some numbers with certainty, but only for the 1941-1945 time period. What about 1937-41? (Rummel's table gives about 3.5 million non-combatant deaths which is twice the text book, but lists fewer combat deaths.)

sabro said:
What about 1937-41? (Rummel's table gives about 3.5 million non-combatant deaths which is twice the text book, but lists fewer combat deaths.)
Actually, the victim numbers are for July 1937 to August 1945, you can see it in the footnotes of the table I linked above.

yes

mass murder of civilians and raping haven't happened.
They killed lots of POWs and suspects of guerillas including innocent civilians.

For the Allied, Japan had to be an evil country,so they concocted Nanking Massacre as a symble of brutal Japanese war crimes in International Military Tribunal for the Far East.

Now, in China,this incident is used for growing up anti-Japan feeling in order to divert attention away from Chinese domestic problems.

And r\to ban official racial discrimination in Asia.It was public opinion called "Tatemae" in Japanese.For politician,it would not have been the main purpose ,but for civilians and soldiers,it might've been the main purpose.

Hi,

1 e) But Japan in the 1930's and 4's is a different story.
2 yes.
3 d)
4 a)
I have seen a documentary, in which geriatric (around 80 y o) Japanese veterans of the Chinese campaign admit, on camera, what they personally did in China. They showed regret for what they had done and wanted more people in Japan to learn about it. You can't ignore testimonials like that.
5 e)
6 a) I think Japan was interested in gaining secure supply lines. In particular, oil was an on-going problem, and they had to secure some regular source to keep the country running.
Might add that I am Australian, and have heard plenty about the Imperial Army's cruelty towards natives of occupied countries, and POWs. Changi happened. The bridge over the River Kwai happened. The Burma Railway happened. You can't close your eyes to these events. I have met a man who was a POW in Changi.
But I think what is important, is that one remembers why they happened and protects against them ever being repeated. These events do not curse Japan forever, instead it is a reminder the brutal military aggression, fascism and a militaristic, un-democratic society are a recipe for disaster - for everyone.

There was 200,000 population of Nankin. It is impossible to kill 3 million persons.

I'm British.

e)More accurate speaking, my opinion is... that they are a combination of the other factors.
2. Have you heard about the Nanking massacre 1937? (yes)

d) I have a different opinion which is.... a combination of the other options. Japan's foreign policy before and during WWII was to obtain resource rich territories to support the Japanese military-industrial complex and ensure that Japan could fight and at least force a stalemate upon the U.S. Along with Germany the ultimate aim was to establish a new world order, in which Germany would control Europe, Africa and Western and Central Asia, with Japan controling the Far East and Oceania.

Back
Top Bottom