What's new

Japanese to china

Yes, the majority of Chinese have negative feeling about Japanese. However, only a small fraction of them have real hatred towards the Japanese.

I read an article once in the International Herald Tribune that saw the relationship a little ambiguously, due to their intertwined businesses. I checked around and found it again:

http://www.iht.com/articles/2005/10/31/news/ties.php

At a time of rising political tensions, heightened by growing nationalism, China and Japan are more closely intertwined economically than they have ever been. In their breadth and intensity, the ties have begun to surpass those between the United States and Japan, whose economic relationship has often been called the most important in the world.

That plaint is echoed by businesspeople from each country, pragmatists who basically want to make money. In Japan, business tends to support Koizumi for leading domestic economic change, but cringes at his government's antagonistic policy toward China.

I remember I made a thread about this in the China section, too. Anyway, it did give me a spark of hope. I never thought I'd be rooting for businesses and their desire to make more profits, though.

Don't forget also that there have been numerous polls in Japan about their attitudes, showing that there has been a rise in more negative feelings towards China. I think the BBC made mention of these polls, but I forget where. This shows that the feeling is quite mutual (although this statement oversimplifies things a little-- I'm sure you could find out more on their relationship in lots of places).

A lot of naive people have said "Well, the Chinese should forgive and forget," but, sorry, common sense dictates that history and basic respect don't work that way for two countries to improve relationships. Luckily, there is some hope, as this news item may suggest:

Shared history textbook written by scholars from Japan, China, South Korea - Wikinews, the free news source

I for one would like both Japanese and Chinese to stop hating each other. But there are those little steps along the way. Sigh...

Back
Top Bottom