What's new

Japanese thoughts on curly hair ?

lulubi

後輩
18 Apr 2013
Hi ! :p

I was wondering if anybody knows what Japanese thoughts are on curly hair ?
Of course, I understand that every person is different, and one might love curly hair or hate it. But on average, what would you say that the Japanese people think of curly hair ? Would it be considered attractive ? Unacractive? Average ? I am planning to visit Tokyo this summer, and I have curly hair , a bit like this : http://0.tqn.com/d/beauty/1/0/X/C/1/eliza-doolittle-long-curly.jpg
and was just wondering :haihai:
Thank you very much ! x

Don't worry ..........

in the big cities , you will not be noticed much more than an ant on the sidewalk. You can have rainbow colored hair down to your ankles and you will still have a wonderful time. Almost all Japanese people you meet will be friendly and polite, any others , just ignore and forget them.

Uncle Frank

😊 🎈

Your hair probably won't prove to be your most prominent feature. Naturally curly hair is uncommon in Japan but it probably won't affect the way you're received, aside from a friendly comment or two. Have a good trip!

I'm a guy and I had long curly hair each of the six times I have been to Japan. It was mostly ignored, but I did get a couple of compliments from women. :)

Wait until you get there and look at some of the hair styles, it will probably be considered either normal or boring. ;)

When you hear about Japan being down on curly hair, its more like afro style or what the Japanese call a "punch perm". The afro style is natural to some Japanese and there is some looking down on them for it. But some famous and respected Japanese have this style, and I am thinking of one boxer who is always on TV who is so punch drunk I don't think he knows what planet he is currently on (of course the question remains if they respect him or are making fun of him). Punch perms are the thing of yakuza, so on the level of tattoos. But I think its a trend near death.

The style in the picture is only frowned upon in schools My second wife has naturally wavy hair and she was often told by teachers to immediately remove the non-existant permanent when she was a student.

The style in the picture is something I often see on TV and in the Tokyo area worn by Japanese though, so no problem.

Back
Top Bottom