What's new

Japanese symbols for tattoo

You chose a crappy generic computer font, which the guy then stenciled onto your at arm and made permanent. Griping now is like printing something in Times New Roman and then complaining it lacks calligraphic merit. It looks exactly like you stuck your arm in an inkjet printer. What the hell did you expect?

You could have worried the balls off a brass monkey with all the stink you raised over getting correct the wording of the message in a language you haven't a clue about and in characters which are mere chicken scratch to you.... but as far as I can tell it seems you gave not a single thought to what this thing was going to look like.

I could have told you before you did it that it was going to look like crap. When you get Japanese/kanji tattoos from people who didn't grow up surrounded by the characters and learning them from childhood, they're going to either look like a mockery of Japanese/kanji or they're going to be artless stencils of computer fonts.

If you had asked the guy to freehand the tattoo, you would have room to gripe about his skills. You chose a stenciled tattoo instead. The guy's artistic ability or lack of artistic ability doesn't enter into it. He did a fine job stenciling that artless testimonial to humans' boundless capacity to think up bad ideas.

I hope your warts get better. At least they'll draw attention away from that horrible, stoopid tattoo, so they're not all bad....

What's the name of the parlor that did it? Do they have a website?

Last edited:
From the looks of the tattoo he pretty much did free hand style it and didn't follow the lines. The lines are not in equal thickness. And he overlapped a line he shouldn't have making a line that shouldn't be there. I chose computer font for a reason because of the chicken scratch he did. If he did the Japanese symbols in traditional sense the tattoo would have looked worse since it looks like chicken scratch in some areas.

From the looks of the tattoo he pretty much did free hand style it and didn't follow the lines. The lines are not in equal thickness. And he overlapped a line he shouldn't have making a line that shouldn't be there. I chose computer font for a reason because of the chicken scratch he did. If he did the Japanese symbols in traditional sense the tattoo would have looked worse since it looks like chicken scratch in some areas.
I think you're missing the point.

You don't go to a bad restaurant and order something simple so they don't give you food poisoning, you just go to a good restaurant in the first place.

This whole thread should serve as an object lesson to SJW net nannies who think we should be indulging and enabling toward people who ask tattoo questions.

This whole thread should serve as an object lesson to SJW net nannies who think we should be indulging and enabling toward people who ask tattoo questions.

I thought the stereotypical SJW response would be that most people shouldn't get a kanji tattoo even if it's correct and aesthetically pleasing, because it's culturally appropriative to take random cool-looking stuff from a minority culture without understanding its significance (unless you're using "SJW" in some generic pejorative sense, but many people have now reclaimed it with a specific meaning). Which seems reasonable to me, though "you'll look like a fool" is probably a more effective deterrent to try.

I thought the stereotypical SJW response would be that most people shouldn't get a kanji tattoo even if it's correct and aesthetically pleasing, because it's culturally appropriative to take random cool-looking stuff from a minority culture without understanding its significance (unless you're using "SJW" in some generic pejorative sense, but many people have now reclaimed it with a specific meaning). Which seems reasonable to me, though "you'll look like a fool" is probably a more effective deterrent to try.

Replace it with "self-appointed busybodies" if you like.

What is SJW?

"Social justice warrior", one who advocates for social equality for various groups.

Used as an insult towards those who argue against cultural appropriation, those who want to change language and media they feel is oppressive towards women/minorities/people with disabilities etc., often with the implication they are doing it for personal gain or to look good. Quite often also reclaimed by the targets of this insult to describe themselves.

I was just being nitpicky really. A strawman SJW as I'm aware of the definition would say no one who is not ethnically Japanese/Chinese should ever have a kanji tattoo because it's not their culture and they have no right to it. Probably some people do think that way (the world is a big place) but I imagine most people who identify/are regularly called SJWs have a more nuanced view. What counts as cultural appropriation is a contentious issue and I've rarely seen any discussion where everyone agreed, even among people who are otherwise like-minded.

All I'm saying is the tattoo needs to be touched up. In some areas.
Among a line that doesnt need to be there period makes that Japanese symbol meaningless. It'd look a couple times better if the lines were equal. I need to double check but I think on one of the characters he ssplit the line and came back to connect it. And one line is the thickest out of all the lines. I got more room to gripe about it since he stincled the tattoo. He stincled the tattoo it should be more accurate than free styling it. If he free styled it I wouldn't be griping about it all.

Among a line that doesnt need to be there period makes that Japanese symbol meaningless

Which one are you talking about specifically? I have looked over the photo carefully and I don't see any extra lines at all, much less any extra lines that make anything meaningless.

I mentioned early I'd post a picture of his mistakes I still haven't done it yet since I haven't had good connection on WiFi. I'll try to do it tomorrow. But one line is thinnest of all it doesn't even look like it's connected because the line is so small. If people see it from a distance the symbol would look like something else cause it doesn't look connected.

My roommate said it looks like he did a rush job. I should have asked which artist had the best handwriting before having it tattood. He couldn't follow.the lines very well.

As for another issue, as soon as I had the tattoo done I noticed bumps popping up I thought the guy used a dirty needle or something. So I just asked my mom what the bumps was from (shes a dermatologist) . I thought it was from the needle, it wasn't. She said its flat warts.
She said I got flat warts from somebody. Hmmm... (tattoo artist?) What do I do? Report him? If he has flat warts that are contagious like she said they are... I think I should definitely report the tattoo artist. Like I said they didn't pop up until after he touched my arm and after he tattood me.
No body has touched me since I got the tattoo.

Maybe it's just diaper rash.

I hope @ogional has e-mail notifications enabled...

Any update on how things are going with your tattoo?

I'll probably get it tattood in Vietnamese and in Chinese. Unfortunately around here there are not to many Japanese. I ran across a cashier; she asked what my kajin meant I told her I'm not telling her. She said the reason she is asking me is that she used to know how to read it. Luckily for me she didn't. But the nurse at the hospital asked what it meant as she stuck an iv in my arm. Told her it's my fetish. She asked what is it? Told her it's in the hospital. She said what needles? Told her no it's some where in here. She said she hates hints and playing games (hehe nurse kept flirting with me so ya shes a freak all right). Some girls if I say fetish they just stay quiet and don't keep on. I just say fetish I don't tell them what fetish it is for the tattoo. Even if I say the word fetish does that really make me a creep? and if they ask what it means do I really got a right to tell them what it means without being a creep? Honestly the tattoo is just for any body that is interested (pick up line) in the fetish and not to bring it on to others. So if someone says hey that's cool, that's fine. For the guys I tell them it's my business if they ask. Ya I got notifications enabled on my email. But no Wi-Fi. Still haven't had my tattoo touched up and need to soon.

And as far as the tattoo company that did the tattoo; I promised the guy I wouldn't tell anyone where I got the tattoo if they find out what it means, since I wouldn't tell the tattoo artist.

Last edited by a moderator:
He's probably moved onto the next language already. Perhaps hieroglyphics.

hierotattoo.png

The お in おもつ is a little sloppy just below where the vertical line crosses the loop, but eh.
I think you mean むつ... if he said もつ it would mean he liked to wrap himself in entrails.

This thread needs to be dipped in bronze and preserved for posterity. What the actual hell.

Back
Top Bottom