What's new

Japanese Pimsleur Progress Report

thanks Bucko!
I might have to jot note while I am listening! I actually know all the hiragara, and I can guess most of the meanings of kanji (I am Chinsese). The most difficult part for me is to know the grammar and figure out the correct spellings of the words which I heard from the CD. I will start looking up the grammar book! Thank you for your advice!! :)
gambatteru!

Pimsleur Notes

Kazeki said:
The files are too big, so I will be posting it bit by bit, but not back to back. I do not want to seem like I am spamming.

Could you please post the other 2 pdfs - the first one is fantastic. I really wish Pimsleur would publish transcripts - I want to learn how to write and talk - and it's annoying learning different words in the audio course and the written course.

xxalex said:
Could you please post the other 2 pdfs - the first one is fantastic. I really wish Pimsluer would publish transcripts - I want to learn how to write and talk - and it's annoying learning different words in the audio course and the written course.

Agree.. Pleaseeeeeeeeeeee.............

i am doing well on pimsleur and should be on pimsleur II by the end of the month. if anybody has the transcripts for the 2nd and 3rd sets of pimsleur, i would greatly appreciate if you could post it here or send me a copy. thanks!

There is only one transcript for pimsleur japanese, and it is for PJ I, it's fan-written, I believe... so...

Here is the problem with pimsleur, the explanations of gramar are pretty weak, its strong point is that it atempts to teach you listening comprehension, however, it leaves so much out that unless you have a better knowledge of Japanese, you'll simply not learn certain things, like you should.

There are however a lot of free audio podcasts out there, which provide transcripts (hello pimsleur--- reading makes us learn what we've heard even moreso)... It was simply laziness on pimsleur's behalf--- Not only this, the podcast sites realise that it helps when someone slows down, yukuri, yukuri... you'll hear this when you teach English to a friend, slowly, you can use this to ask someone to say something slower--- it's rediculous that every dialogue in pimsleur is so fast that you have to listen to it 10 times in a row to be sure that you've caught the language correctly--- and there is no way to verify you did, because you don't have transcripts... poor... quite poor.

It teaches words and phrases that are quite frankly, useless... instead of teaching you the word for 'dolar', it should teach you how to shop for food at a store and get back realistic ammounts of yen, not 11-13-15 yen...

Last, I have a feeling that the audio was created ages ago for some sort of Consular education program, would it kill them to get a native Japanese speaker to explain the Japanese, instead of, as is normal for the more grating audio lessons, an obviously white american male?

You'll learn quite a lot of un-natural Japanese in many different texts, but pimsleur seems to make it it's center piece.

Bucko said:
Gambatte yo!
You should use ganbaru, instead of ganbatte, ganbatte is said mainly by women. ;)

Hey there everybody! I was lucky enough to stumble across this great forum through google and signed up immediately!

At the moment, I am on lesson 8 of Pimsleur Japanese II and can read all my kana and some kanji.

I'm curious if any of you have the transcripts for pimsleur japanese II and III? And if so, could you please send them to me somehow? I'd appreciate it. <3

JapanesePod101 is hilarious! I just listened to some lesson on "speed dating"

Man - Hello my name is tokunaga
Woman - Hello my name is fujisawa. How much is you yearly income
Man - About 5 million yen
Woman - It is higher than the previous man, but I want at least 10 million yen

Haha.. Then she goes on that he is too short for her by two centimetres.. Hilarious stuff..

leonmarino said:
JapanesePod101 is hilarious! I just listened to some lesson on "speed dating"
Man - Hello my name is tokunaga
Woman - Hello my name is fujisawa. How much is you yearly income
Man - About 5 million yen
Woman - It is higher than the previous man, but I want at least 10 million yen
Haha.. Then she goes on that he is too short for her by two centimetres.. Hilarious stuff..
It's pretty funny and informal, comparitively to a lot of Japanese audio lessons which tend to be washed out in quality, stiff, and very un-natural... but I see now, they've started to charge for their lesson notes... I guess there's nothing free in this world.

I think it's a good resource though.

こんにちは皆さん。

I was browsing the web today and stumbled on this thread. I, also, am using the Pimsleur's Japanese program. It works very well for me.

I have a question regarding Japanese II, Unit 4. In the beginning dialog, and later on in the lesson, they say the name of a Japanese coffee shop. It's something like でいえん or でんえん. Does anybody know the correct spelling?

ありがとう!

Back
Top Bottom