What's new

Japanese Pimsleur Progress Report

hai, ii desu.

What lesson are you on? How's it going for you?

Hi, I am new to the forum. I am on lesson 18. I thinks it pretty good. But I find it wierd that they would teach you how to ask someone out to dinner before they teach you to introduce yourself. Does anybody else find that weird?

Yes. :D Hang on, though, because they teach introductions in just a couple of lessons. I think I'll be doing lesson 21 tonight, so we're pretty close in our progress.

Fantt said:
Yes. :D Hang on, though, because they teach introductions in just a couple of lessons. I think I'll be doing lesson 21 tonight, so we're pretty close in our progress.

Hey thats pretty cool. I am just doing the pimsleur right now. Are you using any other helpful tools for learning japanese?

Yeah... I've spent way too much money over the years aquiring stuff to learn Japanese. I've only recently gotten serious (again). I'm also using the Nakama 1 text book, the Instant Immersion Japanese software, Heisig's Remembering the Kanji, and I have various other grammar related books that I turn to when confused.

I have completed to lesson 3, I just listen to them over and over again (until I understand what is being said) and try to match the words with my Japanese dictionary and write them in kana and romaji.

i've liked pimsleur so far, all 8 lessons - now attacking the kana with the japanese for busy people kana version and their 'learn kana' book - i'm liking the combination.

i figure if i'm not hardcore about it, i'll never really make myself learn the kana (time for kanji later...), but pimsleur's a good way to actually figure out how to say things rather than spending weeks only reading things outloud to myself r-e-a-l-l-y-s-l-o-w-l-y...

I think I'm on lesson 29 Part I. I'm not doing them 1 a day like I was - it was taking up too much time, but I still think they're very much worth doing. Part II is going to go even slower because I want to create my own transcript notes as I go.

If there were, you'd probably have to find it using some sort of search tool. We can't discuss that on these forums.

Pimsleur is really a practical tool to learn how to speak a foreign language. I think it deserves customers' "financial supports" to keep the program alive.

say, about transcripts - does anyone happen to know if there are official transcripts out there anywhere? or if someone's posted their own transcripts online somewhere? i know it's all supposed to aural and whatnot, but i think transcripts would help me sometimes - or perhaps just vocab lists?

Myrrhine, PM me your email address and I can send you someone's "notes" for Pimsleur Level 1 (Lessons 1-30). It has transcripts of the dialogues and new vocabulary and grammar notes for each lesson.

Hi guys! I am REALLY new at this forum.
I have been listening to Pimsleur the past few days, 5 to be exact and just like Fantt I started doing one every night, let us just hope that I will continue doing that in the future.

Pimsleur seems to be a very good program for beginners, especially when you hear how they say it over and over again; it is really hard to forget some of the words they use.

I have written transcript notes along, not so many right now thought but if anyone is interested I can e-mail them.

I'm on 6.. again.
i did 1-8, but it took me like 3 weeks, cuz i kept forgetting to do them..

Then I took a break and started from scratch.. now i've done 1-6.. and then one more 6.. and then again.. 6..(so that's 8 days for 1-6) I'll do 7 tommorra... I can't seem to get anywhere, and if they smack more than 6 words together, I get confused.. daym I suck at this... I wanna be able to atleast remember every new word of the lesson before I move on :p

Yay! I finished Part I of Pimsleur - all 30 lessons! Of course, I think I need to go through the last 5 lessons a couple more times though, but for the most part I pretty much understand the lessons. Yay!

congrats!
me i just did lesson 11 which didn't go so well since it was about a week since i did lesson 10. tabe-what? heh...

anyways, i've been borrowing so far and was thinking of buying, perhaps a used version and i was wondering if anyone knew if there are different editions - more importantly, if there are big differences between different editions. is lesson 15 of pimsleur from a few years ago going to be much different from lesson 15 as it sounds today?

I don't think it would be a big problem. I think that all the Pimsleur stuff is about 30+ years old and deal with fairly universal stuff. I still find it very amusing that you spend the first 10 lessons or so learning how to hit up Japanese women. Maybe that's a bit dated.... nah...

Hey everyone! New to this forum and currently studying Pimsleur Japanese I. I am on lesson 16 so I have already developed some pick up lines from the previous lessons. :)
Its getting kinda tough as the sentences are getting longer. I am going to really sit down and take some notes now - something I recommend doing from the beggining.

Good luck to everyone. I'll give an update next week!

Nice to know more ppl using it :)

I'm having trouble cramming level 2 lesson 2 in my head lol especially when they make you repeat summink about leaving and the sentence is like EXTRA long.

I'm trying to create a transcript/notes document for Pimsleur Part II. It's TOUGH! I'm having a heck of a time getting through the sample dialogue. I think I've finally done it. Anyone with Pimsleur II like to take a look at my first transcript and see if it jibes with what you hear on your copy?

Back
Top Bottom