What's new

Quotes in Japanese

Yukiko chan

先輩
18 May 2008
こんにちは

I'm looking for famous quotes or sayings by Japanese philosophers, thinkers, writers ... or any quote with a deep/beautiful meaning (proverbs are counted).
I googled "Japanese proverbs" and "Japanese quotes", but all I got were translations of the quotes in English. Searching in Japanese didn't help, because I could only understand very few words.
Thus, I would be more than thankful if anyone has a good link to Japanese quotes, or the quotes themselves. My only conditions are that the quotes must be written in Japanese (with Kanji characters), with the translations.

Thanks in advance, Gregory

P.S.1 Quotes from Japanese novels would be appreciated too.

P.S.2 The deadline for submitting the quotes is within 50 hours time. Later on they wouldn't be of much use, except for broadening my Japanese vocabulary and knowledge of Japanese culture probably.

一期一会
ichi go ichi e
One meeting, One chance.

This proverb is pretty old and is quite common among the Japanese ^^; It is basically saying that once in a lifetime opportunities should be cherished I think. I think there are many many ways in which this is interpreted...google it perhaps and see if you can find any discussions on it.

I googled it, but all I got were links in Chinese !

Adding "english" to the search tag didn't help...

Anyway, ありがと ございました Kirakira ^_^ .

And many thanks to @pipokun for the link too.

Professionals
The documentary series with a new angle sheds full light onto first-rate professionals from various fields that have become a class of their own. The program, with footage that focuses on the professionals at work, invites them to the studio for interviews.
TV Programs - NHK WORLD - English

これまでの放送 | NHK プロフェッショナル 仕事の流儀

In the end of the program, each professional gives the definition what he/she thinks is to be professional.

My favorite program was about a great shogi player, Yoshiharu Habu. This is not only because I like the Shogi game, but also he showed his anguish to stay in his position.
His definition to be professional is a bit difficult for me to translate into English. So please brush up your Japanese skill and do it by yourself.

一期一会
ichi go ichi e
One meeting, One chance.

This proverb is pretty old and is quite common among the Japanese ^^; It is basically saying that once in a lifetime oppurtunities should be cherished I think. I think there are many many ways in which this is interpreted...google it perhaps and see if you can find any discussions on it.

As I can see, the word "one" in japanese looks like an horizontal 1? I don't know if I can ask that kind of question here but I always wanted to know how you can write in japanese on the computer...

十人十色

jyuunin toiro (lit: 10 people, 10 colors)

Self-referential quote showing how weird kanji readings can be. For any number of colors other than 10, it's ~色(しき). But for some reason, 10 is special.

Back
Top Bottom