What's new

Japanese Music CD Cover (Graphic Design)

JapaneseGraphics

Registered
22 Oct 2020
Konnichiwa,
Are there any Japanese speakers out there who would be willing to assist with a simple spell and grammar check? We have designed a few CD covers for a personal fun/Art project that includes Japanese text. We used google translate to do this but are not sure whether the translation (meaning) and spelling is correct. Any help would be much appreciated. Arigatou :)

I'm a graphic designer and speak Japanese, post your album art and I'll give you feedback on both

S/he doesn't need a Japanese speaker, s/he needs a Japanese reader and writer. :p

hey! I can read a little too ;)

200.gif

I'm a graphic designer and speak Japanese, post your album art and I'll give you feedback on both
Hi,
Thank you for your response. We've attached a list of all the words and phrases that need checking, eg. one of the albums is called 'Live In London'. Thanks again for wanting to help :)

Attachments

• Jap Translations 3 Jap Forum 1 Page FINAL.docx
    21.1 KB · Views: 216
The translation differs depending on the context. For instance, によって生成されます can be a correct translation of "produced by" in a context "Gamma radiation is produced by nuclear reactions". However, if it's written on a CD cover, "produced by producer's name" is translated as "プロデューサー (or 製作) :producer's name". We need the full version of the covers, not the fragments of words/phrases.

The translation differs depending on the context. For instance, によって生成されます can be a correct translation of "produced by" in a context "Gamma radiation is produced by nuclear reactions". However, if it's written on a CD cover, "produced by producer's name" is translated as "プロデューサー (or 製作) :producer's name". We need the full version of the covers, not the fragments of words/phrases.
I think that is the full version (mostly). It looks like mostly song and album titles. To the OP, it would be helpful to see the original layout in English to confirm.

Thanks. It's mainly song and album titles. What would be the correct translation for 'Live In London', in the context of 'Name of the band: Live In London' ?

Thanks. It's mainly song and album titles. What would be the correct translation for 'Live In London', in the context of 'Name of the band: Live In London' ?

ライブ・イン・ロンドン is probably best. See example here.

Here is my feedback.

Satellite City = サテライトシティ is better
Midnight =ミッドナイト ok
Glam = グラム ok but it's vague because it can also mean "gram" and the meaning won't be immediately apparent. But if it's a common refrain in the song probably ok like this. Or change to something like おしゃれ. What does Glam mean in this case? Like describing a person (glamorous) or like describing the trappings of glamor (bling)?
Sister =シスター ok unless you want to be specific as Japan has words for "little sister" and "older sister"
Live In London = ライブ・イン・ロンドン
Live In Concert = ライブインコンサート fine, just add the 'dot' separators for a better look. ライブ・イン・コンサート
Bam = バム probably ok. This says "bam" and it is just as vague as the original.
Thank You Madam = ありがとうマダム I would probably stick to the English phrasing i.e. サンキュ・マダム
Emoline = エモリン If Emoline is a name or proper noun than should be ok.
Revolution = 革命 If you use a Japanese word you should take care of what kind revolution (civil war or cultural shift). I'd probably use レボリューション which is simply the English word. (And what The Beatles uses in their song of the same name).
This Is America = これはアメリカです I'd go with ここはアメリカ or ディス・イズ・アメリカ which is what Childish Gambino did.
Rocket Love = ロケット愛 maybe ok. Or, again, go to full English as in ロケット・ラブ
Burn Baby Burn = 赤ちゃんのやけど or ベイビーバーンを燃やす (?) Definitely stick with English here バーン・ベビー・バーン unless you're literally talking about setting babies on fire.
Wild Boys = ワイルド・ボーイズ ok
Flesh = 肉 this literally means "meat." Again, maybe stick with the English i.e. フレッシュ although most Japanese would read this as "fresh."
This is one where context matters. There are various meanings of flesh.

flesh
  1. 〔哺乳動物の〕肉◆骨の周りの筋肉と脂肪を指す。
  2. 〔人間の体の〕表皮、皮膚
  3. 〔全ての〕食肉◆家禽や魚の肉を含む。
  4. 〈話〉〔人の〕ぜい肉、余分な脂肪
  5. 《植物》〔柔らかい〕果肉、葉肉
  6. 〔精神と対比させた〕肉体◆【同】flesh and blood
  7. 〈文〉〔死すべき体を持った〕人間、人類
  8. 〈文〉肉欲、性欲
  9. 〔人の〕家族、身内
  10. 〔形式と対比させた〕中身、実質
Killer On The Run = キラーオンザラン good. Just add the dots. キラー・オン・ザ・ラン
Wild One = 野生のやつ this has a feeling of uncouth beast. Better to stick with the English. ワイルド・ワン
Tonight = 今晩 Probably ok.
Stereo = ステレオ ok
Price = 価格 I think it's ok
Retail = 小売 Yen 2,500
Glam Rock = グラムロック Looks ok.
Album includes = アルバム含む This one is a fragment so not sure. Do you simply mean "contents" or something? Or are you referring to a guest collaborator or something?
Greatest Hits = グレイテスト・ヒッツ Ok.
Remixes by = によってリミックス This is also a fragment. Do you mean it will be something like "Remixes by DJ Dotard"
______
This album includes Greatest Hits = このアルバムには、グレイテストヒッツが含まれています Maybe ok but there's probably something better. I'll defer to other's opinions.
This album includes the single Rocket Love = このアルバムには、シングルRocket Loveが含まれています Maybe ok but there's probably something better. I'll defer to other's opinions.
Compilation = コンパイル Probably not. Not sure.
Rock Band from London = ロンドンのロックバンド
United Kingdom = イギリス ok
London = ロンドン ok
Japan = 日本 ok
30th Anniversary Edition = 30周年記念版 probably ok
Produced by = によって生成されます not ok. Please give the whole phrase. Or example phrase.
Music remixed by = によってリミックスされた音楽 not ok. Please give the whole phrase. Or example phrase.
and Rocket Love = そしてロケット愛 Please give the whole phrase.

Would someone be able to confirm the translation for "Album includes Remixes by: DJ Dotard" (meaning this album includes songs that have been remixed by DJ Dotard). Previously we only gave a fragment so hopefully this will give a better understanding of the meaning. The Google translation was "アルバム含むによってリミックス: DJ Dotard". Thanks.

Sorry, but it doesn't make sense at all. Google Translate actually does a relatively good work.

アルバムにはリミックスが含まれています:DJ Dotard

If "colon" is not in the original English sentence, the translation アルバムにはDJDotardによるリミックスが含まれています is fine. It conveys the meaning perfectly correctly.

My attempt:
このアルバムにはDJ Dotardによるリミックスバージョンが収録されています。

Back
Top Bottom