What's new

Japanese Degree?

I am considering a Japanese and Linguistics course at SOAS, is this a particularly employable degree?

This is a tough subject huh.

I'm sure you could get a job with a degree in Japanese and lingustics, it just might not be a job in your field. A friend of mine who graduated with Japanese and History ended up teaching English in Japan.

What kind of work do you want to do? If you have an idea on what type of career you want, it will be easier to know if the major you will select is employable or not.

Not to burst any bubbles, but knowledge of politics, culture and history aren't really high demand skills in the marketplace. I got a BA in political science and when I graduated I had two options: stay in the army or go to Japan as an English teacher. Nobody else would touch me, except maybe McDonalds. I spent five years in Japan, learned the language, the history, the culture, etc. I came back to Canada and the only job I could get paid minimum wage working at the reception desk of a hotel.

So I decided "screw this" and now am going to Law school to learn an actual profession.

Basically in the marketplace one arts degree is just as good as any other, the chances of finding employment in the actual field you studied are almost nil. Its main use is as a stepping stone to other things.

>>Not to burst any bubbles, but knowledge of politics, culture and history aren't really high demand skills in the marketplace.

Depending on your work experience throughout college, a degree in Poli. Sci is more than enough to get employed. You might have more keen competition for certain jobs, but it can be useful. Most POLI SCI majors only go POLI SCI because they full expect to apply to LAW SCHOOL, or jump into INTL. RELATIONS etc. -

A degree in JAPANESE can get you employed, but unless you simply want to be a teacher - youre probably going to be getting more schooling.

Apparently SOAS are employable for japanese because of their international links and training programs, etc, although at Oxbridge it doesn't really matter what degree you have and you are employable if you take Oriental Studies.

Back
Top Bottom