What's new

Japanese Artist Solo Exhibition

AgoraGallery

後輩
15 Oct 2006
Agora Gallery presents the Solo exhibition The Enigmatic Existence, featuring Japanese artist Toshiko Nishikawa.

Toshiko Nishikawa's mixed medium artworks are playful abstractions employing pastels and whites, the mood of which represents her worldview. Her works brim with innocence and positivity, instantly disarming the viewer. ツ"I've been on a journey,ツ" she states. ツ"A journey in search of eternal beauty.ツ" Indeed, there is a timeless, organic quality to Nishikawa's art as streaks of white haze flow downward or across muted pastel backgrounds. Nishikawa's artwork nods to natural phenomena, recalling clouds, snow and water. Done mostly in small to medium sized formats, layers do not intermix but drip and conceal the colors below. Nishikawa's career started in Japan where she has taught, participated in artist associations, and exhibited widely. In recent years her recognition has spread, receiving press in print and on the airwaves in her native Japan, in addition to being featured in a number of exhibitions and articles around the United States. She lives and works in New York.
The Enigmatic Existence runs October 21 - January 21 in Agora Gallery's Chelsea location at 530 West 25th Street. The reception takes place Thursday, October 26, 6-8 PM. The reception is free and open to the public.

Heh thanks misa.j, I did have an inkling of where Chelsea is, although I'd never been there. Just trying to subtly point out that an advertisement or PSA is only as good as the information it gives.

Thanks for the link though, そのほうが楽ですね。向こうに行けばがっかりしかねません。

You're welcome, and I kind of figured your intention, too. ;-)

Oh wait! Then again, this thread could evolve to a discussion about Japanese artists who are appreciated overseas.

Back
Top Bottom