What's new

Japanese afraid of the truth of WW2

jim83

Kouhai
25 Dec 2003
As I know , many chinese killed in ww2, and they are so cruel .
That is why many chinese think if the gene of japanese is a bit different from chinese , or with more cruel gene ?
The worst thing is that japan try to explain they wrong in a way which is so unacceptable to other asian country.

Genes?
Japanese are surely not genetically prone to cruelty. The treatment of Chinese in WW2 is much more probably related to feelings of cultural superiority (& rivalry?) & to the particular behaviour of people in times of war.

no matter what the reason, the lost of chinese people in ww2 is so huge,
and japan need pay for it

cultural superiority ?

if you feel speriority , than 2 atom bomb make you feel shame ?

japan would not now the feeling of chinese , only when japanese feel the same bitterness as china in the future.

so any explain of wrong doing make me vomit

Originally posted by jim83
no matter what the reason, the lost of chinese people in ww2 is so huge,

that's the kind of attitude that starts wars.

i don't think the current youth of Japan feels neccesarily superior to the Chinese, or that wars are necessary today. then again, i could be wrong.

certainly having two of your biggest citys leveled by only two bombs would humble you. which i believe it did.

i'm not japanese, but that offends me a lot. how can you even say that? :confused: :(

What are you a student of ????

Your bio says you are a 26 year old student. You're spelling and grammar make me suspect ? Is English you're second language??
I have a hard time following your rational sometimes, just curious about your background ?? Sorry for being nosey !!

Frank

🙂

P.S. My spelling and grammar aren't so hot either!!

The Japanese have paid for their war crimes. With the anguish of the morale.

And if we are to suggest vengeance, what about the various autrocities committed by American soldiers throughout our existence as a fighting nation? Or the cruelty of the govt when it comes to whatever it has that hinders its expansion?

My opinion is that vengeance is never a solution.

To claim that one nation feels a certain way toward another is ignorant; its impossible to speak for the whole of a civilization, as the minds differ from individual to individual.

It's the "you must and will pay" attitude that is causing so much trouble nowadays. When i first met my fiance i was surprised about how little she knew about the war in the pacific. I've studied that theatre for years as a hobby and talked to her lots about it. she was horrified at what i told her and what i showed her in the books. When my grandfather found out i was to marry a Japanese woman he was furious but he had his reasons which he wouldn't discuss with me. He will speak to her now but only because she persevered with the whole thing. As for talking about genetic superiority that is in my opinion something left to wacko scientists, the attitude of Japan's armed forces during the period leading up to and during the pacific war had alot to do with the way they were indocrinated and trained.

Actually, in Japanese schools, they barely teach anything at all about WWII. I have yet to meet a Japanese of my own generation that even knows the years that the war started and ended. Also, they are taught that Pearl Harbor was really America's doing; that we made them do it and thus dragged them into a war.

Not that I'm calling for any specific reparations or anything like that, but the lack of awareness about WWII here is nothing short of appalling.

recently though there was an excellant documentary about the war on TV. From WW1 through to the Vietnam war. As far as I could tell it was done very professionally and in an unbiased way. I was really hoping some young people were watching it , it was on late-ish at night, but somehow I doubt they would be interested.

Originally posted by m477
Actually, in Japanese schools, they barely teach anything at all about WWII. I have yet to meet a Japanese of my own generation that even knows the years that the war started and ended. Also, they are taught that Pearl Harbor was really America's doing; that we made them do it and thus dragged them into a war.

Not that I'm calling for any specific reparations or anything like that, but the lack of awareness about WWII here is nothing short of appalling.

This is compelling.

I want to thank you for posting that. I never knew that, about Japanese youth.

Japanese young people may not know much about WW2, but I would bet that they know as much or more factual information about it as Americans do. How many 20 year olds in the US know what years the war started and ended? This isn't something the the average young person in either country cares much about.

Konnichiwa.
I'm Japanese, and I did learn about WWII in history class at school. I looked back my history textbook I used at school, and it is written in it. And for people who is interested in WWII, there are various kinds of books about it in bookstore and there are programs about it on TV sometimes, and also many informations on internet. No ones hiding about the war at school or in our society.

About young people, there are many kinds of young people in Japan. Some are interested in history, but some aren't. The ones who are interested in it, or who likes studying, would take the class eagerly, and maybe study by themselves reading books other than the textbook, and knows about it quite well. The ones who take class normally, would know the outline about it. But there are people who's not interested in history at all, or who doesn't like studying. Those people may be not listening or even sleeping during the history class. Then they would not know about WWII very much. And also there are many kinds of teachers. Good ones will teach details about history and make students get interested, but not good ones just reading the textbook, would make students feel boring. I think it's just the same as other countries.

Maybe you would meet some Japanese who doesn't know about WWII well, but it's not because we're not taught about it at school, or the goverment or whatever is hiding about it. It's because of the person's interest, or ability. But most people who's older than 23 (I don't know about the younger people because I don't have chance to talk with them), at least know about Pearl Horbor attack (not all knows the year of it), and when and how the war ended. If someone says he/she doesn't know about it, he/she would be seen as person who is lacking common sense in Japan too. And if young ones says they don't know about it, we would be depressed also.

(Sorry for my poor English. I hope it makes sense.)

Originally posted by Matthew C. Perry
Well said, qchan.
yes! your post is excellent good.

it sounds like the truth is that japanese young people are the same as american and australian young people - some study well and some don't study well. :) nothing bad - this is just how life is.

as a side note, i find it ironic that i have almost no interest in my own country's history (at least some of it) yet i AM interested in WW2 history, European and Japanese history...

Thank you for posting what you did qchan.

But I'm a bit ashamed that you had to post what you did. Not that you did anything wrong, but what you brought attention to, should go without saying.

Actually, the Japanese I have discussed this with were in their 20s or 30s, had university degrees and seemed like studious people to me They could name many dates and events in Japanese/Asian history; this is what made the lack of knowledge of WW2 seem so suprising ot me. Perhaps there is more information in the textbooks, but it is apparently not in the cirriculum at some schools.

I'm Japanese, and I did learn about WWII in history class at school. I

I am over 40, and American.

This idea that young Japanese do not know their history seemed a bit exaggrated. This is the era of "information overload". With the Internet and modern culture one can be informed if one choices.

Also for young Japanese, say age 15-34, this all happened before their time.

A 34 year old would have been born in 1970. Lets assume their parents were 30 years old when they were born.

There parents were 4 years old in 1945 !

Do the math

Originally posted by cmetom
i find it ironic that i have almost no interest in my own country's history (at least some of it) yet i AM interested in WW2 history, European and Japanese history... [/B]

I'm the same! after growing up in ireland the last thing i wanted to study at school was religion and politics:p All my friends from overseas can't understand how i know so little about the whole thing. I'm not alone here either because my friends back home have discussed this quite a bit and it's just a case of "familiarity breeds contempt". As for an earlier comment about Japanese who know little of the war it's not in my opinion a lack of common sense. My fiance knows alot about pearl harbour and the immediate months. She's also started reading alot about the war now. 🙂

morale , what is morale , i dont know it , it belong to japan only ? it could be used to pay ? So if you kill a man , and you lost morale , so you would not be in prison ?

We Americans may know mutch about WWII, but only from one perspective. We only know a little about how the chinese sffered or how other indigenous asians suffered, or about the Russian experience. I can give you dates and battles and basic trivia, but I still have a great deal to learn.

Back
Top Bottom