What's new

Law Japan to clarify rules for children of foreign residents


Unswerving cyclist
14 Mar 2002
The Japanese government will soon provide details on the criteria for permanent residency for children of foreign nationals who moved to Japan during their adolescence and wish to settle in the country as adults.

This measure primarily concerns those who relocated to Japan with their parents during their junior high or senior high school years, generally from ages 12 to 18. Immigration Services Agency officials have indicated that the prerequisites will encompass over five years of economic self-sufficiency, along with the fulfilment of tax obligations and social insurance contributions, while possessing a "designated activities" visa. Upon completing their education at a Japanese high school and obtaining employment in Japan, children holding a family visa will qualify for the designated activities visa. While the designated activities visa permits employment in Japan, it is subject to certain restrictions.

Visa holders cannot start a business or bring family members to Japan immediately. For example, if they marry someone from their home country, their spouse cannot join them on this visa. In addition, their residency in Japan depends on their parents or legal guardian, meaning if their parents leave the country, they would have to leave, too. In contrast, children who arrived in Japan in elementary school or younger may be able to transition directly from a family visa to permanent residency. Permanent residency offers significant benefits, including the ability to start a business and sponsor a spouse for residency.

By the end of last year, the number of individuals, encompassing adults, with this designation had surged to roughly 266,000. This signifies a growth exceeding 30 per cent over the past five years.

Top Bottom