What's new

Is this sentence right?

Tomii515

やった~!
16 Feb 2006
Anata wa hanashimasu ni ii./Anata wa ii ni hanashimasu.

it is supposed to mean: You are nice to talk to. ;or somewhere around there...

anata=you
wa=topic particle
hanashimasu=talk
ni=like 'to' or etc. particle
ii=good/nice (perferably nice)

is it right? If it's not explain why

p.s. if you can translate somethign good for me please tell me bby posting or sending me a PM!!! i will send you a pm with the question!

Tommy,

Could you please start putting all these postings in one thread ? Especially with the same or very similar subject headings....it's going to start becoming extremely confusing.

Thanks. :)

Lets see...
'anata wa hanashimasu' means 'you speak'
'anata to hanashimasu' would mean 'speaking with you'

ni should only really follow a noun. It is much more limited in its use than the english word 'to' and shouldn't be really used in this case. It is for to somewhere or (give) to someone. It doesn't make the infinitive form of verbs or anything ie you can't use it to make 'to talk'.

ii is an i-adjective and so should come before a noun, or at the end of an A is B type sentance.

I would put your sentance as:
anata to hanasu koto wa tanoshii desu
This is probably still too advanced so I wouldn't worry about it, but I would get an actual textbook so you will get there eventaully. This method you are using now isn't a very effective method of learning.

I think Elizabeth is saying that you should jsut put your next question onto the end of this thread here. Only the people with special powers can merge threads I think.

oh, ok.is there any way you can make that sentence less complicated?

Its an A is B type sentence.
koto makes hanasu(hanasimasu) into a noun so it can be used in this way, a verb can't 'be' anything.
So A is 'anata to hanasu koto' Speaking with you.
And B is 'tanosii', fun.
So Speaking with you wa fun desu,
Speaking with you = fun.
Speaking with you is fun.

KrazyKat said:
Its an A is B type sentence.
koto makes hanasu(hanasimasu) into a noun so it can be used in this way, a verb can't 'be' anything.
So A is 'anata to hanasu koto' Speaking with you.
And B is 'tanosii', fun.
So Speaking with you wa fun desu,
Speaking with you = fun.
Speaking with you is fun.
How about anata to hanasu no ga (wa) tanoshii desu.
Or anata to hanasu no wo tanoshinde imasu.

Elizabeth said:
How about anata to hanasu no ga (wa) tanoshii desu.
Or anata to hanasu no wo tanoshinde imasu.

Is there much difference between using 'koto' and 'no' here?

KrazyKat said:
Ah yes, I see what you mean now. Thanks.
You also occasionally hear this type sentence with tanoshii koto (on the end) and I really can't explain the difference just that it makes it harder and more formal sounding.

Back
Top Bottom