What's new

Is sushi raw at all?

Status
Not open for further replies.

IsaacMahogany

後輩
9 Mar 2014
I recently try sushi and it seemed to be raw at all.it was like eating raw fish It is raw at all?anyway it don't taste me, I don't know if is it 'cause is the first time.

I think you meant "Is all sushi raw?" ("Is sushi raw at all?" sounds like it all tasted cooked to you and you can't believe it is really raw).

Sushi would be a lot better if they cooked it first. Yes, the fish is uncooked. Usually, though, it has been frozen at some point.

I mean if sushi is entirely raw (crude)?
depends which you eat.

Shrimp, crab, scallops can be either raw or at least partially cooked.

Other sushi may be seared with a blowtorch before serving.

What exactly did you eat?

Did you not know that sushi is raw fish before you tried it?

Unagi sushi is always cooked, and they all usually the dearest one and it taste the best.

Second best sushi is takoyaki, which is also cooked.

I never understood why Japanese not like to cook the fish what in sushi. It makes no sense because it tastes revolting and it can give can unwanted bacteria because the meat is raw.

Unagi sushi is always cooked, and they all usually the dearest one and it taste the best.

Second best sushi is takoyaki, which is also cooked.

I never understood why Japanese not like to cook the fish what in sushi. It makes no sense because it tastes revolting and it can give can unwanted bacteria because the meat is raw.

I have always suspected there must be at least some degree of the "Emperor's New Clothes" effect going on with the adoration of sushi.

Wow! Where is the sushi love?

A common misconception is that sushi = raw fish.

True, many of the best sushi toppings and contents are served raw but many, many are not ... e.g. these:

Abura age.
Inarizushi.
Aji
Ebi (as opposed to ama-ebi).
Wagyu (often served lightly cooked) - and Gyutataki.
Huge variety of fish is often served tataki (seared over a flame).
Anago.
Unagi.
Kani.
Saba.
Tamago-Yaki.
Ika.
Tako.

Sushi has really taken off around the world over the last 20 years and is now a standard choice in most cities and towns in developed nations.

The quality outside of Japan varies greatly however. In Australia there is some great sushi to be found, but the average sushi bar or take away is very poor. The majority of these are run by Chinese and Koreans and although doing a roaring trade! they use cheap, low quality ingredients and are badly made ... most use no or very little sushi vinegar in the rice.

It does the wonderful world of sushi a terrible injustice.

I might just write a strongly worded letter to the internet to complain!
:(

Are you attacking Chinese and korean for being low quality?

The average Chinese take away shop also makes poor Chinese cuisine for a cheap price. Should people generalise Chinese food base on that too? But if you go to a proper Chinese restaurant you get real good food.

So it's not about the race, it's the quality of each individual restaurant.

So you get what you pay for.

Also, Japanese restaurant run by real Japanese outside the CBD is really as rare as unicorns.

FW, you are way too sensitive about anything involving the word 'Chinese'. If you saw a restaurant advertising Chinese food, run by Koreans (or Japanese, or Indians, etc), would you assume it is good quality Chinese food?

Toronto had a sushi scandal a while back. I can't find it quickly on Google, but basically the same thing was found in New York too:
Student study unmasks sushi scandal in New York - Inside Science

Western people on the whole just aren't savvy about the flavours of fish, and are easily duped. Invariably, the substitute fish are cheaper. It's not clear whether the chefs are too blame or the dealers. For sure, the rules of becoming a sushi chef inside Japan are a lot more strict than they are outside the country.

That said, I never eat sushi when I'm in Canada. No point. There's very little authentic Japanese food in Toronto, but the food of other nations is very authentic because there is a large population of immigrants. Looking forward to having some Greek food in the summer.

You wrote the exact same "Are you attacking China?" to me a week ago. I'm just pointing out a defect in your post.

Thanks for pulling it back. I think Donbaton has pretty much answered the question completely. Is there more to be said? Should the thread be closed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom