What's new

[interview section] MEXT Scholarship through University Recommendation

HyunJKIM

後輩
19 Jan 2018
Hello everyone,

I applied to MEXT Scholarship program in NU, and I am preparing the interview.
If anyone has applied in the previous years, could you please give some advice on the interviews.
Is the interview through Skype or exchanging e-mail?
How long it takes? How many faculties attend?

Also, if anyone is applied to this program(University recommendation) or Nagoya University, lets talk together :)

Hi, I didn't go through the process of university recommendation however I studied at Nagoya University for a year. I was in a program for foreigners, which is not what you will do so I don't know that either.
However, I have some recommendations & tips about the best restaurants all around the campus and those that should be avoided :emoji_grinning: I also know things about univ dormitories.

Hi, I didn't go through the process of university recommendation however I studied at Nagoya University for a year. I was in a program for foreigners, which is not what you will do so I don't know that either.
However, I have some recommendations & tips about the best restaurants all around the campus and those that should be avoided :emoji_grinning: I also know things about univ dormitories.
Hi, Did you go to NU as a transfer student? I heard that there are many dormitories in NU and some dormitories are very bad to live in and some is too far from campus. Which dormitory do you prefer or recommend? Can students choose dormitory even in the first year?
My interview was done today. I don't know whether I would be able to go or not. Though, if i could be accepted at NU, pleas give me some tips to live in Nagoya.

Yeah I was an exchange student. I got to choose my dormitory within two choices (Higashiyama & Omeikan) whereas some other French students from other universities didn't. It seems there is a lot of parameters that they takes in account (status, nationality) without saying to anybody. I'm reading the housing page[1] again, and it clearly make the distinction about researchers (which you should be as a MEXT student) and international students but I'm not sure how they will consider you.

My summary:
- Higashiyama: literally on the campus. This is the best place for saving on transport and woking up late. Also very good if you join a club. No Japanese except on "tutor" per floor. Students are enrolled in master or phd. Free internet. Some parties where made and the floor.
- Omeikan: 10 minutes walk from the campus. Have a nice hall where a lot of parties are made (check it out on Friday!) but have drawbacks such as: you have to register and pay for the internet, and it is shared with Japanese. I put that as a drawback because from *everybody* (who spoke some Japanese) I spoke with about that point, they told my they were ignored by the Japs. And there was some bullshit such as: you have to attend weekly floor meeting even if you don't understand anything, each time a rule is broken (like letting messy dishes in the kitchen) it was put on the foreigners even when it was a Japanese people that did it. Announcement on speakers really often. Japanese floor parties (where btw foreigners aren't welcome) almost every week so it was difficult to sleep. So a lot of bullshit going on. Note that as a Korean you may blend easier with the Japanese especially if your Japanese is good but don't put to much hope on it.
- Yamate: different name for two building which are at the same place that Omeikan. Not sure of the ambiance in this but I assume it is almost the same as Omeikan.
- there is only I forgot the name, but from what I saw it was far from the campus and there was a lot of Chinese people in it. As there was very few China nationals whatsoever in the three residence I mentioned previously (but there was Taiwanese and HKers) I assume this is some kind of "Chinese residence" where the university put them all. I would recommend to avoid especially because of the transport inconvenience.

All residence I went were a bit old, and the room too. Not very expensive, but definitively not some 4* hotel.

[1] Nagoya University Academics / Campus Life

@HyunJKIM

Hi there, I am from Vietnam. Nice to meet you. I am also applying to G30 Program at Nagoya University this year in Graduate School of Economics. I also attended an interview just a couple of days ago. What is your major and how was your interview?

@HyunJKIM

Hi there, I am from Vietnam. Nice to meet you. I am also applying to G30 Program at Nagoya University this year in Graduate School of Economics. I also attended an interview just a couple of days ago. What is your major and how was your interview?
Hello :) Nice to meet you too.
I am applying to forefront program, MEXT scholarship, in Engineering department. And I am very glad to meet you who applied to the graduate school at Nagoya University.
I interviewed at the end of February and waiting the result announcement.
In my case, my skype contact was unstable though I checked several time with my friends, so I have some trouble in listening. In the middle part of the interview, I re-spoke the questions to confirm that I heard correctly. I think.... I was too hurry because I was so nervous. I checked the questions and answers after the interview and my answers wasn't wrong and absurd. I hope that my answers were delivered correctly to professors.....
How about your situation?, What do you think about your interview?

Hello 🙂: Nice to meet you too.
I am applying to forefront program, MEXT scholarship, in Engineering department. And I am very glad to meet you who applied to the graduate school at Nagoya University.
I interviewed at the end of February and waiting the result announcement.
In my case, my skype contact was unstable though I checked several time with my friends, so I have some trouble in listening. In the middle part of the interview, I re-spoke the questions to confirm that I heard correctly. I think.... I was too hurry because I was so nervous. I checked the questions and answers after the interview and my answers wasn't wrong and absurd. I hope that my answers were delivered correctly to professors.....
How about your situation?, What do you think about your interview?

Your interview was conducted much earlier than mine, which was conducted in early March. I'm sorry about the problem related to internet connection during your interview. Somehow I was like you, I was also nervous and in such a hurry that I didn't know whether the interviewer could understand what I was talking about. What is more, when I was asked some questions related to my research proposal, somehow I felt my answer was ridiculous and substandard, which made me worried the most for these days. Overall, I was not really confidient with my performance at the interview. :'(

Your interview was conducted much earlier than mine, which was conducted in early March. I'm sorry about the problem related to internet connection during your interview. Somehow I was like you, I was also nervous and in such a hurry that I didn't know whether the interviewer could understand what I was talking about. What is more, when I was asked some questions related to my research proposal, somehow I felt my answer was ridiculous and substandard, which made me worried the most for these days. Overall, I was not really confidient with my performance at the interview. :'(
I hope you will get a good result :)
I've heard that the main purpose of interview is to check your English proficiency. So if your answer is not completely wrong, your answer would be acceptable. My answer was also ridiculous in some part, but I don't mind about it. University selects students who can grow up well, not students who already grow up.
Let's be confident!!!

I hope you will get a good result 🙂:
I've heard that the main purpose of interview is to check your English proficiency. So if your answer is not completely wrong, your answer would be acceptable. My answer was also ridiculous in some part, but I don't mind about it. University selects students who can grow up well, not students who already grow up.
Let's be confident!!!

Hi HyunJKIM!

So good to receive your message. It is so supportive to me these days. I hope both of us will get good results. :D

I intend to get this scholarship from Tohoku university but I cannot find detail, please some anyone who can advice me to this, thank you so much.

Please can anyone tell me what type of questions they could ask about the research proposal (research plan)?

Back
Top Bottom