What's new

In a Japanese speech contest, would you write these for me please?

kingkong

Registered
15 Sep 2016
First time poster here. I have been reading this forum for sometime and I have to say it has been very helpful.

As the headline hints, I'm going to participate in a speech contest with the Japanese ambassador and other dignitaries attending. Now we are required to say "what I would like to do when I go to Japan". Something just brief. So I'm wondering if you could write these in Japanese for me?

"Good Afternoon to you all
My name is.....
I'm .... years old
I'm a student at xxxx of the unversity of xxxx.
I will like to talk about what I would do when I go to Japan.
As someone who loves mountains, I would like to climb Mount Fuji when I go to Japan. Mount Fuji is the highest mountain in Japan, located in Honshu Island at 3,776 meters. Along with Mount Tate and Mount Haku, Mount Fuji is one of Japan's "Three Holy Mountains". "

Could anyone one a add few more facts about Mt. Fuji in there for me?
Many thanks in advance. Please take note of my audience. They are respectable people. Thanks a lot.

We're not going to help you cheat, no.

How are you in a Japanese speech contest if you can't even say your name and age in Japanese?

Also, wont the speech competition have a Q&A (Question and Answer section?) If you speak perfect Japanese during your speech and fail to answer or understand very basic questions ,which probably will be asked, they will know that you have cheated. I have participated in a few speech competitions myself and participants who do stuff like this are easily recognized. Best study and work hard on your speech by yourself. Maybe you can post here to ask someone to double check your grammar or something. But asking someone to write your entire speech is just wrong.

I think I failed to explain that indeed I can write it all up, most at least. Everyone in my class was thought to for instance say "Watashi no namae wa......" Watashi wa ..... sai desu....blah blah. Sounds too straight forward and made up to me. We all will be using exact same wording for the intro. I was only wondering if there there are any other polite ways to say the same thing without having to sound like my class mates. The questions and answers are basic. Schools are told what questions will be asked, so I most certainly know what I'll be asked. My tutor isn't Japanese. I figured out some of what he wrote for us was wrong grammatically. He admitted it and attempted to correct them.

So here we go:

Watashi no namae wa.....
Watashi wa ...... sai desu
Watashi wa xxxx diagaku no xxxx no gakusei desu
Watashi no terma wa moshi nihon nani ittara nani wo shimasu ka

....before the rest.

So no, I don't intend to cheat, @Mike Cash. It's not much of a big deal of a speech contest. I have only started learning Japanese for about 4 weeks now. Only sat in the class 3x. It's okay if you can't help me though:D

Good to know :) It will be difficult to write a speech after attending 3 classes.

Is that the entire speech that you have managed to write? Post the entire thing please.

Also I can see a few spelling miskates, those can be typos/typing mistakes , but its always good to know such stuff I think.

I cant use the multi quote function from this browser so i'l just type the correct spellings.

1. diagaku : its "Daigaku"

2. terma : Its "te-ma" テーマ

3. moshi nihon nani ittara nani wo shimasu ka. : moshi nihon ittara nani wo shimasu ka.

the first nani is not needed.

4. watashi no namae wa ~~~ . : watashi no namae wa ~~~ DESU.

Watashi no terma wa moshi nihon nani ittara nani wo shimasu ka
What the OP wanted to say would be "moshi nihon ni ittara nani wo shimasu ka".

Here's my attempt;

Hajimemashite, (your name) to moushimasu. (Your age)sai de, (your university) daigaku no (your department) gakubu ni kayotte imasu.
Watashi wa, Nihon ni ittara nani wo shitai ka ni tsuite hanashitai to omoimasu.
Yamazuki no hitori to shite, watashi wa Fujisan ni nobotte mitai desu.
Gozonji no toori, Fujisan wa Nihon de ichiban takai, hyoukou sanzen nanahyaku nanajuu roku ME-TORU no yama de, honshuu ni arimasu.
Tateyama, Hakusan to tomo ni, sandai seizan to yobarete imasu.

If a learner who took only three classes wrote this, I would think they must be genius...

Many thanks @indojindesu and @Toritoribe. Very much appreciated :).

Here's the rest if you don't mind.

Watashi wa yama nobori ga suki na hito dakara moshi nihon ni ittara Fuji ni noboritai des. Honshuu ni aru Fuji san wa ichiban takai yama des. Fuji san no takasa wa oyoso sanzen nana hyaku nanaju roku meetru des. Nihon de ichiban shinsei na yama to yutara Fuji san to tate san to Haku san des. Fuji san wa eien no seimei to you imi des.

Fuji san ni noboru season wa nigatsu, shichigatsu, to hachigatsu des.
Watashi wa moshi fuji san wo noboru toki Fujiyoshida no hoo kara noborimas.

Doomo arigatou gozaimasu.

This is what I meant to write in Japanese

"
As someone who loves mountains, I would like to climb Mount Fuji when I go to Japan. Mount Fuji is the highest mountain in Japan, located in Honshu Island at 3,776 meters. Along with Mount Tate and Mount Haku, Mount Fuji is one of Japan's "Three Holy Mountains". " Mount fuji means "everlasting life". There are five trails to the summit of mount Fuji - Kawaguchi, Yoshidaguchi, Subashiri, Gotemba and Fujinomiya. The climbing season lasts only for two months, from July to August. I would like to climb using the Fujiyoshida trail when I go to Japan.

Thank you very much.
"

That's not "the rest", but includes another (not accurate) version of the translation. Who did translate it? (Or, should I ask "Who did you ask to translate it?"?)

" Mount fuji means "everlasting life".
That's just one of the hypotheses or a variation of kanji descriptions. The most common interpretation is "one and only/unequaled/unparalleled".

There are five trails to the summit of mount Fuji - Kawaguchi, Yoshidaguchi, Subashiri, Gotemba and Fujinomiya.
The suffix "-guchi" refers to the starting point of trails. You need to unify the trail names "Yoshida, Subashiri, Gotemba and Fujinomiya" or "Yoshidaguchi, Subashiriguchi, Gotembaguchi and Fujinomiyaguchi". Kawaguchikoguchi is a point on the Yoshida Trail. There actually are four trails.

Many thanks @Mike Cash & @Toritoribe

That was translated by my tutor. Again, he isn't Japanese that is why I cannot trust him to get this accurate. Why I'm here. Is there a way to get this right? I very much appreciate your input. It means the world to me.

If your tutor doesn't know something as basic as the difference between "February" and "two months" he has no business tutoring anyone. Is he the one teaching your class?

Yes, @Mike Cash Cash . Sad :(. That is what I tried to explain at the onset of this thread. I will really appreciate any help in writing this correctly in Japanese.

"As someone who loves mountains, I would like to climb Mount Fuji when I go to Japan. Mount Fuji is the highest mountain in Japan, located in Honshu Island at 3,776 meters. Along with Mount Tate and Mount Haku, Mount Fuji is one of Japan's "Three Holy Mountains". " Mount fuji could mean "one and only". There are four trails to the summit of mount Fuji - Yoshida, Subashiri, Gotemba and Fujinomiya. The climbing season lasts only for two months, from July to August. I would like to climb using the Fujiyoshida trail when I go to Japan.

Thank you very much."

Edited, thanks to @Toritoribe

I already gave you my translation of the first half of it.

Fujisan to iu namae no yurai wa "narabu mono no nai" de wa nai ka to kangaerarete imasu.
Tozan SHI-ZUN wa shichigatsu hachigatsu no nikagetsu kan shika arimasen.
Tozan Ru-to ni wa, Yoshida, Subashiri, Gotemba, Fujinomiya no yottsu ga arimasu ga, nihon ni itta toki wa Fujiyoshida RU-TO wo tsukaou to omotte imasu.

Now I wonder your tutor can provide you the correct pronunciations the listeners can understand...

Konbanwa @Toritoribe. Ogenki desu ka.

I took your translation to my tutor and he think its perfect. So he's okay with the change of text. That really excites me. Now to the pronunciation. I have been trying to use google voice translator to try to get the pronunciations correct, with a little Japanese accent. I'm wondering if you can help me clear a few words up.

On the voice translator, the female voice appears to translate:

to = t,o (actually sort of pronounce it as t and o)
no = n,o (n and o separately)
hitori = Shitori
Shite = Shito

translate from japanese to english - Google Search

To understand me well, insert the "to" "no" "hitori" and "Shite" in the Japanese side and click on the sound icon at the top-left corner to have the text spoken.

I'm using this translation.

Hajimemashite, (your name) to moushimasu. (Your age)sai de, (your university) daigaku no (your department) gakubu ni kayotte imasu.
Watashi wa, Nihon ni ittara nani wo shitai ka ni tsuite hanashitai to omoimasu.
Yamazuki no hitori to shite, watashi wa Fujisan ni nobotte mitai desu.
Gozonji no toori, Fujisan wa Nihon de ichiban takai, hyoukou sanzen nanahyaku nanajuu roku ME-TORU no yama de, honshuu ni arimasu.
Tateyama, Hakusan to tomo ni, sandai seizan to yobarete imasu.

Many thanks in advance.:)

It's simply because you are using romaji.
cf.
Google 翻訳

As long as you depend on such machine translators or something, it's highly possible that the listeners can't understand what you want to say, even if you use kanji/hiragana version. Your tutor who can't distinguish the difference between "two months" and "February" can judge whether my translation is correct??

Is there any reason you gave up using the latter half of your original speech plan, by the way?

Ohayo gozaimasu @Toritoribe. Ogenki desu ka.

I'm still using the latter half of the original speech. Sorry I thought I copied all the parts. So far I have been able to memorize them, and with the help of the google voice, I have gotten better with at least most of the pronunciations. Thing is, my tutor says the pronunciations anyhow are okay since I'm a new learner. I really don't buy into that. At least I should make effort to pronounce the words correctly. As you can see, I'm all excited about this😅

Now a few more questions before I stop bothering you, if you'll permit me.

From my speech, these are some likely questions.

1. Onamae to gakko onegaishimasu = Your name and school please.
"my school name" to "my name" desu. Is this really the proper way to answer the question above? Of course, this is what my tutor suggested I say.

2. Nihon wa ichiban takai yama no namae wa nan desu ka = what is the name of the tallest mountain in Japan.
Is it okay to simply say "Fujisan" to such a question?

3. Fujisan san no takasa nan me-toru desu ka = What is the height of Mt. Fuji
Sanzen nanahyakou nanajuu roku me-toru desu. Am I on the right path here?

4. What is the proper respond if an elderly person asked a question you didn't understand and wanted him or her to repeat it again? Is "Gomen'nasai wakarimasen" appropriate?

5. If you were to ask questions from my speech, what would you ask to see my grasp of the topic?

Many thanks in advance. Very much appreciated.

Two more questions to clear all of this up.

My tutor thought me to say "Minna sama Konnichiwa" as a way to greet everyone present. Is there a better way to greet people in high position other than "Minna sama Konnichiwa"? Take note that this will occur at noon or afternoon.

Another thing, @Toritoribe, could you add "My Japanese nickname is Masamori" somewhere in the first line for me?
Somewhere here I mean: Hajimemashite, (your name) to moushimasu. (Your age)sai de, (your university) daigaku no (your department) gakubu ni kayotte imasu.

my tutor says the pronunciations anyhow are okay since I'm a new learner.
I can't agree with that. The listeners will never think your speech(i.e. my translation) is written by a beginner learner, in the first place.

1)~5)
Isn't there any advice from your tutor?

Minna sama Konnichiwa
"Minna sama" is wrong. It must be "mina sama". Beginner learners often do this mistake. Is it provided by your tutor?

Thank you, @Toritoribe. Your input had me thinking about a lot of the basics the tutor have taught us. I'll find a way to remedy the situation.

Yes, 1-5 are mostly from him. Just a crosscheck to make sure I'm on the right path.

Thanks a lot.

1)
"Your school name" no "your name" desu.

2)
"Fujisan desu" is appropriate, and the question should be "Nihon de ichiban takai yama no namae wa nan desu ka?".

3)
Same here. The answer is correct, but the question should be "Fujisan (the second "san" is unnecessary) no takasa wa nan me-toru desu ka?".

4)
Sumimasen ga, shitsumon wo mou ichido kurikaeshite itadakemasen ka?

Back
Top Bottom