What's new

Improved tool for learning hiragana/katakana.

David Hallgren

New comer
2 Mar 2004
For those of you that struggle with hiragana and katakana I recently added soundfiles for each kana into my program for learning them. Simply check the box "Play sounds" and it will give the pronunciation of each kana once you answer correctly. I hope some of you can make use of this.

David Hallgren's Japanese Page

PS. It does require flash but seems to work with both IE and FireFox.

the katakana/hiragana seems odd to me... is this what is called cursive...

because on the ime hu looks like this ふ

and your lines are all joining together.

nice test so far i will say though. just do the world a favor and keep it all free. It's sad to see so much free information become victim of pay to learn.

hmm nice, could you put chi/ti in the error message?

i wanna help build a macromedia flash tutorial with you.

Last edited:
bump I found this site using search and found it to be really helpful in learing my kana.

that's a nice tool, and definitely worth the bump. Should come in handy for some of our eager young students as well

God said:
the katakana/hiragana seems odd to me... is this what is called cursive...
because on the ime hu looks like this 窶堙
and your lines are all joining together.

The font used on the site is most likely Mincho. The one you have in mind is gothic. In pencil/pen-written kana, the line should not connect across /fu/. At least that's what my Japanese teacher told me.

Have been working hard on seeing the sounds rather than the symbols but there are so many of them ... will check out your sight...

I used David Hallgren's site often when learning my kana. I'd get into work in the morning and bash out a few hundred recognitions. Worked fabulously.

Back
Top Bottom