What's new

I want to move to Japan....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I think this thread is becoming moot. The OP hasn't come back in over 2 weeks to add any comments or questions. Lock?
Except the only rule violation has been the unchecked level of personal insult.

EDIT by Glenski, to remove the quote with offensive language.
Can we keep the pejoratives to a minimum here?

As for those of you who are saying that i am not even checking this thread, you're wrong. I manage my account through my email. If i get a message that says that somebody has posted, i will check it. if the thread remains stagnant, i won't. i don't mean to be rude, but this is the truth.
I don't mean to be rude, either, but there were 18 posts since your last entry at the end of December. You didn't seem to feel the need to reply to any of them?

There were questions and lots of useful information. If you were really that interested in this thread, it's my opinion that you would come back a lot more often to respond.

Care to respond to any of them now?

Last edited:
################## (edit by DB)

As for those of you who are saying that i am not even checking this thread, you're wrong. I manage my account through my email. If i get a message that says that somebody has posted, i will check it. if the thread remains stagnant, i won't. i don't mean to be rude, but this is the truth.

I checked your last login date and time each time I made a comment about how long it had been since you checked the thread, so go peddle that fib elsewhere.

Like I have said before, its most-likely a phase (at least in the USA) that kids want to up and move to Japan. I am 26 now, and I used to have the carefree way of thinking, before I really took a look at the situation. I can't really speak much Japanese, I am not a big fan of teaching, and the work structure is vastly different than what I am used to. It doesn't mean I dont want to visit, in fact I am really excited to be able to go in April.
This forum really helped me confirm what I already came to realise, the hardships involved with moving. Even though Mike Cash may seem harsh at times, and uncaring, his words really speak volumes.

I checked your last login date and time each time I made a comment about how long it had been since you checked the thread, so go peddle that fib elsewhere.

What's your deal? You are so preoccupied with me....plus i told you. i recieve EMAIL on how many people post. I'm not "peddling fibs". Why would I? I just need information....i'm not trying to make people like me. Go bother someone else.

Like I have said before, its most-likely a phase (at least in the USA) that kids want to up and move to Japan. I am 26 now, and I used to have the carefree way of thinking, before I really took a look at the situation. I can't really speak much Japanese, I am not a big fan of teaching, and the work structure is vastly different than what I am used to. It doesn't mean I dont want to visit, in fact I am really excited to be able to go in April.
This forum really helped me confirm what I already came to realise, the hardships involved with moving. Even though Mike Cash may seem harsh at times, and uncaring, his words really speak volumes.

This might be the most useful information that anyone has given. Maybe what you say is true. What everyone else said was helpful, but i guess i was just looking for a certain answer. Maybe i'll just visit. I'm enthralled with the culture, but certain things aren't possible. Thanks. However, Mike Cash's words don't matter to me.

Except the only rule violation has been the unchecked level of personal insult.

I'm sure someone of Mike Cash's amazing character, who can manage to make people regret ever posting in a forum in order to pursue a dream with such negativity and coldness, can take a few naughty words in order to expose how unhelpful and immature he actually is.

EDIT by Glenski, to remove the quote with offensive language.
Can we keep the pejoratives to a minimum here?
I don't mean to be rude, either, but there were 18 posts since your last entry at the end of December. You didn't seem to feel the need to reply to any of them?
There were questions and lots of useful information. If you were really that interested in this thread, it's my opinion that you would come back a lot more often to respond.
Care to respond to any of them now?

Of course.Just because i don't respond doesn't mean i'm not interested or don't look at them and try to learn. Is it so necessary that i post?

However irrelevant this is, i actually learned a new word from you. "Perojatives". That's cool.

Of course.Just because i don't respond doesn't mean i'm not interested or don't look at them and try to learn. Is it so necessary that i post?
It would be the polite thing to do, don't you think? I mean, people have taken the time to add comments (deserving of thanks at least), questions (that deserve answers, so I guess this would be at least one post that would make it "necessary", yes), or information (that would also be deserving of thanks and perhaps follow-up questions).

Besides, you are the one who started this thread. Can you honestly say you have learned all you need with it so far? One would think you'd feel the need to continue.

Omg... I laughed through a lot of this. And don't even dare think about bashing me and telling me my dreams are futile and that I'll hate the country. I've wanted to move there since I was 7. Don't you think that's a long time for a dream? I do, and I won't give up on that one. I'm actually getting a chance to make it come true.

Plus, I don't have the money to visit first. What do you think me of? Rich? I have to earn my own money, because my parents won't give it to me and/or they don't have enough of it themselves with all the movies they buy. I can't visit, therefore, I'm being bold and jumping right in. Being bold is my specialty. (Shut up. <--Sarcasm. I'm sarcastic. Get over it.)

I haven't even learned near enough of what I need. I need to find out how much money I need to take, for example, but I know it'll be a LOT. Because Tokyo and the rest of Japan is just that expensive.

Omg... I laughed through a lot of this. And don't even dare think about bashing me and telling me my dreams are futile and that I'll hate the country. I've wanted to move there since I was 7. Don't you think that's a long time for a dream? I do, and I won't give up on that one. I'm actually getting a chance to make it come true.
Nobody should knock dreams unless they are realistic ones. What exactly is your "chance"?

Plus, I don't have the money to visit first. What do you think me of? Rich?
If you don't have enough money to visit, how do you expect to live here? More details, please.

I have to earn my own money, because my parents won't give it to me and/or they don't have enough of it themselves with all the movies they buy.
Plenty of others have worked for a living in order to scrape up the money needed. Are you special? I started working at 15 and paid my way through college while supporting my brothers, sisters, and mother because Dad wouldn't pay alimony.

I can't visit, therefore, I'm being bold and jumping right in.
How, pray tell?

I haven't even learned near enough of what I need. I need to find out how much money I need to take, for example, but I know it'll be a LOT. Because Tokyo and the rest of Japan is just that expensive.
Well, compared to New York City and London, Tokyo is pretty much the same financially, according to people from NYC and London. How much do you need? Let's see. You're American, according to your avatar, so that rules out a working holiday visa (which only lasts 12 or 18 months for other nationalities anyway). So, you will need a degree or several (3-10) years of experience in order to get a visa that allows you to stay here more than 90 days at a clip as a tourist. Exceptions to that include:

1) student visa (but you can't be a student here forever)
2) cultural visa (same as #1 in its lifespan)
3) dependent visa (long-term but you have to be married to a foreigner with a work visa)
4) spouse visa (marry a Japanese)
5) diplomat visa (not at 17, the age on your avatar)
6) any other visa, simply because you don't fit the qualifications.

So, what is your plan? What info do you need? Please look at the FAQ section thoroughly first, though. I contributed a ton of links to it.

Just how "expensive" do these dreamers think Japan really is? Like anywhere in the U.S. they have expensive restaurants and cheap fast food places. Likewise on hotels. There's high end luxury hotels and cheap capsule hotels. I would recommend staying at a $50-60/night business hotel or, better yet, a ryokan to taste the Japanese lifestyle. If these people want to go to Japan so badly, and I'm not faulting anyone on this, they should go for a visit first. They may end up not even liking the place (doubtful, but you never know).

Even someone with a $10/hour job can save up about $2,500 for a ten-day visit. It isn't that difficult (just discipline your spending urges). Check things out and get lots of info and come home and think about what you've learned. After this, then decide on what you really want to do.

That's all everyone's been trying to say.

I'm sure someone of Mike Cash's amazing character, who can manage to make people regret ever posting in a forum in order to pursue a dream with such negativity and coldness, can take a few naughty words in order to expose how unhelpful and immature he actually is.

I'm one of the more helpful and mature people here....when I sense that the person seeking help is putting at least as much effort into it as I am.

There is a difference between "pursuing" a dream and "slouching toward" a dream.

And I can certainly take a few naughty words. I regret that I didn't get to see them. Unfortunately, they must have violated the minimal rules of decorum that have been established for the site. Rest assured that I had nothing to do with censoring them. I doubt they would have done much for making you appear more mature than me, though.

It's interesting that you couldn't be bothered to actively participate in your own thread for so long yet become a posting fiend when you get your panties in a wad.

Hey there MisterE san ! I hope your dream, or desire (we could say, instead) to come to Japan plays out for the best--with your actually coming here. Really.

However, that is the same as everyone else who has posted here in this thread. I mean, for example (and example only) if Mike Cash is here, if Glenski is here, if I am here...among others (and if I missed someone, please forgive me) then that means we did something right, or were just very, very lucky. I'll stick with we did something right.

Why, then, would you not be willing to pay attention? Cold water in the face can be hard to take at times, but if that were to wake you up, shucks, wouldn't that be better? I wish to encourage you !! No one here is against you, MisterE...and that is exactly why we have posted as we have. Hang around with us, and learn, and then take action on your own !! MM

What exactly is my freaking chance? I want to get out, and I can. Therefore I will. Out of where? Let me clear this point up for you. I HATE THE U.S. OF A. I don't care if you think I'm betraying my country, I just wasn't meant to be here.

How the hell am I jumping right in? Let's see. Oh, I don't know, I DON'T HAVE THE MONEY TO VISIT!

Me AND my friend are moving together. If I don't move, she can't move. If she doesn't, I can't. It's a 2 person thing in our situation. I'm sticking with my reason. Don't freaking try to drag me down and tell me otherwise. I'm sticking with my reason, my feelings and my way of going about things.

I'm not going to compromise for something I really want. I'm not.

How do I plan on living there if I don't have the money to visit? No time to make the extra money. So, bugger off.

My dream isn't a f***ing fantasy. It IS realistic. You just don't see it from my point of view.

Oh, and I'm not going to college. I'm not special. In fact, I think very little of myself, meaning I'm not very self confident, but I DO believe in my dreams. At least believing in SOMETHING gets you somewhere. And I plan on it taking me somewhere.

The FAQ section isn't my place to go. I don't go through the middle man. Sorry, but I'll search my way.

Oh, and I'm not going to college. I'm not special.

Nobody has to be special to go to college. But if you want to live and work in Japan, you'll need to go to college to get a Bachelor's degree. If you want to go to Japan without a college degree, your best bet would be to join the U.S. Navy (and there's no guarantees you'll be even stationed in Japan).

I doubt the Peace Corps has anything going on in Japan.

What exactly is my freaking chance? I want to get out, and I can. Therefore I will. Out of where? Let me clear this point up for you. I HATE THE U.S. OF A. I don't care if you think I'm betraying my country, I just wasn't meant to be here.
How the hell am I jumping right in? Let's see. Oh, I don't know, I DON'T HAVE THE MONEY TO VISIT!
Me AND my friend are moving together. If I don't move, she can't move. If she doesn't, I can't. It's a 2 person thing in our situation. I'm sticking with my reason. Don't freaking try to drag me down and tell me otherwise. I'm sticking with my reason, my feelings and my way of going about things.
How do I plan on living there if I don't have the money to visit? No time to make the extra money. So, bugger off.
My dream isn't a f***ing fantasy. It IS realistic. You just don't see it from my point of view.
Oh, and I'm not going to college. I'm not special. In fact, I think very little of myself, meaning I'm not very self confident, but I DO believe in my dreams. At least believing in SOMETHING gets you somewhere. And I plan on it taking me somewhere.
The FAQ section isn't my place to go. I don't go through the middle man. Sorry, but I'll search my way.

Amazing compilation of punkish BS I must say.

First. You never been to Japan, so its worth listening to those who have experience with that country.
Second. You think cash isn't important? Interesting, are you gonna feed on alga right from the water? Or perhaps you will be consuming bioenergy?
Third. You don't give a damn about your dream. It is rather clear that you only shoot in the air. If you really wanted to move to Japan, you'd plan it well, explore Japan first, make a bit of money. But not, you're thinking the lazy way.
You moved to Japan... nice, lets face it. You should probably have at least a degree, or money or work practice or something. You're seventeen atm, what the hell do you plan to do there? Be a hobo? You might as well become one in the USA where you can beg in your own language.
Pissed at the world? Its unfair? Don't make me laugh. If you can't face it in your own country, how will you face it abroad?
Instead of whining here go do something about your situation.
Make some effort. Without breaking a sweat how can you expect anyone to take you seriously. Will they even give you anything like a proper visa? Who the hell wants some homeless leeching off of him? Those smart chaps managing visas probably check whether you even contribute something to the country.
If not, its their problem, but certainly, If I had a country, I surely wouldn't allow people to live there with the kind of attitude you have.

Don't people grow up? Every second person who join JREF says that he knows no Japanese, really loves the country, everything, whatever everything might be. And that he will move to Japan because he's either good in pottery, sewing, cleaning the closet, cooking sandwiches or something irrelevant as that. But hell, they have to say konnichiwa at the beginning of the sentence.

IGNORANCE IS NOT A MERIT PEOPLE! If you don't know sh*t about something, try to hide it, or humbly admit it or something. Isn't it embarrassing to build your dreams on paper? Go do something, prove yourselves, prove that you have what it takes to adapt to a country.

I've seen posts from many people like yourself with similar attitudes, but while I can see where you're coming from, I can't understand why you interpret realistic advice as overly cynical, or trying to outright extinguish your dreams. Lashing out at people that are trying to help you is just going to leave you alone on the day that you realize you do actually need help from others. You stumbled into this thread with a chip on your shoulder, I suggest you cure yourself of such an attitude, it's only going to hinder you in the future.

If you do indeed decide to uproot and move to Japan when you have no apparent means of support, let us know how that goes.

What exactly is my freaking chance? I want to get out, and I can. Therefore I will.
If you are 17 like your avatar says, and if we assume you graduated from high school and are American, your chances are pretty close to zero.

To live here (which is what I assume you want to do, not be a tourist), you need to have a visa. You don't qualify for any at the moment. The only ones you do qualify for are student visa and cultural visa, but you have to enroll in school here or get a craftsman to sponsor you. Neither permits work, but with special permission you can work part-time. Both visas are pretty short-term, so you can't expect to live here forever on them. Maybe 5 years max.

Then what?

Sorry, but the reality is, if you don't have the money to visit (roughly US$100 per day), how are you going to live here? No income, no savings, no chance at a FT job. Nothing.

Apartments almost always require a guarantor (that means employer) to vouch for you. You won't have one.
Apartments almost always require what is called key money to just get your foot in the door. That means 2-5 times a month's rent equivalent to move into a place with nothing in it. No appliances, furniture, light fixtures, nothing! Figure 50,000 yen/month average cost for a cheap place (that's US$500). Now do the math on 2 to 5 times that for key money. Plus utilities, of course ($150-200), and phone ($35-80), plus food ($300-600). Where are you going to come up with this money with no visa, no job, etc.?

Abiding by immigration law to get a visa is not compromising. What do you see as compromising? Waiting until you are eligible for a visa?

This is the remark I would expect from a crybaby with very unrealistic views on life, whether in the USA, Japan, or anywhere. Read it yourself again. Either you are very immature or you are trolling this forum. (Moderators, please take note of that.)

Your dream is realistic. Your approach is a fantasy. That's the real point of view here.

Oh, and I'm not going to college. I'm not special.
Then, as an American your age, you just disqualified yourself from a major stepping stone to getting a visa... a college degree.

In fact, I think very little of myself, meaning I'm not very self confident, but I DO believe in my dreams. At least believing in SOMETHING gets you somewhere. And I plan on it taking me somewhere.
It will take you nowhere without the proper foundation. Your "plan" is nonexistent and unrealistic.

The FAQ provides a wealth of information from veterans of life and work in Japan, plus links to even more information. The FAQ is not a "middleman". It is an indispensible source of knowledge for your so-called plan.

This whole thread needs to be closed, IMO. People like this just don't get it, and in my 10 years of living in Japan (almost the lifespan of the above poster, hint hint) and posting on forums like this, such posts are relatively common tripe. People have deluded fantasies about damning the torpedos to come here, and I have seen my fair share of them, but this one takes the cake. At least the others begged for legal loopholes to get into the system. This one just says he'll show up with no money and no job, and he blatantly refuses to see what it takes to get his foot on the bottom rung of the ladder. Other posters in the past decade have written similarly, including the swearing and name-calling, yet nobody, and I mean NOBODY has ever come back to the forums to flaunt the fact that they made it here regardless of their situation. If they did, I would welcome them with open arms and use their "in" to help others, as I have been doing since the above poster was in elementary school.

I ask for a ruling on this thread by the moderators. Close it or not?

I like you :)
If you ever get here, let me buy you a drink.

I like you :)
If you ever get here, let me buy you a drink.

Thats awfully kind of you. Thats already more than nothing. She will have a whole drink. Its like almost 1/100th of daily expenses, but hey! That doesn't matter when you love the country, after all affection has lots of nourishment doesn't it?

I ask for a ruling on this thread by the moderators. Close it or not?
I agree with Glenski.

Jrockaddict, I understand that you are very passionate about this, but you should not bite the hand that feeds you. Members here give you advice through their generosity. People like Glenski know what they're talking about, and if you take the time to follow up on what he says, you will see that.

I am closing this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom