What's new

I need the answers for these questions!

JoopFOX

後輩
6 Apr 2003
First of all, I'm new here so I'd like to introduce myself. Im Matt, 17 years old and from the Netherlands. Next year there is a chance for me to go to Japan... for a whole year! But, I need to fill in some documents, and after that talk to a Japanese ambassador, and I have to get recommendation before I can go, so please help me with these questions...
Thanks!

1. How do the Japanese themselves call their country? (I think its 'Nippon' but Im not sure)

2. At what age do Japanese children start to attend Senior High School? (Ive no idea)

3. What country lies closest to Japan? (Korea?)

4. In what year did the Olympic games take place in Tokyo? (havent got a clue)

5. What are the 2 most important religions in Japan? (Bhuddism and Zenism?)

6. What was the original meaning of the Japanese tea ceremony ?
A. To prepare warriors before going to war
B. To give a distraction to women when the men went to war
C. To introduce a woman to a man as a potential bride
D. To honour deceased family members

7. What is the name for the Japanese high speed 'Bullit' Train?
A. Shinkansen
B. JR
C. Hikoki
D. Hayaidensha

8. What is the name for the Chinese characters that were brought to Japan in the sixth century to write the Japanese language?
A. Hiragana
B. Kanji
C. Katakana
D. Hachi

9. From what written language do many Japanese characters originate?
A. Chinese
B. Korean
C. Maleisian
D. None of the Japanese characters originate from another written language.

10. According to the pact of San Fransisco, which of the following islands is under the American government?
A. Tsusjima
B. Amami
C. Sjikoku
D. Okinawa

Hello, JoopFOX. I can answer all of your questions for you, but that seems like the wrong thing to do in this situation. I know that almost every one of them can be answered at http://www.japan-guide.com which is easy to navigate and cross-indexed.

They're not that hard and they're pretty common actually. I think you should just search the net to find it. You might even learn more on the way. :) The more you learn, the more you would be prepared for that one year stay, right? And not walk around so confused.

Cool, thanks for the site. I hope the info I find there is reliable. Cuz one wrong answer means bye-bye for me...

The information is quite reliable from what I've seen. While it needs to be further expanded on most topics, they do have a large amount of articles up that cover the basics.

Lots of recipes, too, for your cooking fans. :)

What program are you going for that has a quiz attached to the application process? Strikes me as a novel idea. Good luck finding the answers!

Hey!! The best of luck Joopfox, but Chakan is right!!! You must get the answers your-self, the link Chakan has provided is really good, and it helps to know all the answers with a little background knowledge behind them, that way you know the answer is correct and why??? I personally wish you all the best and really do hope that you get to visit the wonderful country of Japan!! 🙂 🙂

Okay thanks, I have the answers to most of these questions now, but with a few I have problems...
Tea ceremony question, does anyone know the answer?
And question 3, which country is closest to Japan? I think it might be China, or perhaps Korea, but I heard there are some Russian Islands closer...

Konnichiwa JoopFOX -san!

Ok, I answer your questions.
The closest country is a Russia, Habomai Islands. Almost all Japanese believe that the closest country is a China or Korea. But it is not correct. Habomai Islands distant 3.7 kilometer from Japan and this Islands are the most closest country.
Why almost all Japanese don't know correct answer? Because Japan have a deep diplomatic relations with China and Korea.
The Japanese know China and Korea from ancient times. And almost all Japanese believe that the closest country is a China or Korea.
But Japan didn't have a diplomatic relations with Russia. And the Japanese think that Russia is a European country but not the Far East. And almost all Japanese don't know correct answer.

The original meaning of the Japanese tea ceremony is a training of mind and manners.

NANGI

6. What was the original meaning of the Japanese tea ceremony?
A. To prepare warriors before going to war
B. To give a distraction to women when the men went to war
C. To introduce a woman to a man as a potential bride
D. To honour deceased family members

I thought it came from Zen Buddhist origins.

Ok, this page seems to indicate it was used to wake up the soldiers before going to battle. So maybe A is the answer they're looking for...
http://homepage2.nifty.com/ww/118.htm

Thanks a lot! So Russia and A...
Sorry, but now Im experiencing trouble with the 2nd question,
2. At what age do Japanese children start to attend Senior High School?

Many people told me 16, but now 1 person said she was almost sure its 15... Can somebody help me?
Thanks

Konnichiwa JoopFOX-san!

Sixteen? It's an error. The Japanese enter a senior high school at fifteen years old.
If you ask what age does the Japanese enter a primary school, all people say "It's a six years old".
Yes, the Japanese enter a primary school at six years old. And the Japanese enter a junior high school at twelve years old.
And what age does the Japanese enter a senior high school? It's a fifteen years old, because the Japanese learn three years in junior high school. ;)

NANGI

Originally posted by JoopFOX
Thanks a lot! So Russia and A...
Sorry, but now Im experiencing trouble with the 2nd question,
2. At what age do Japanese children start to attend Senior High School?

Many people told me 16, but now 1 person said she was almost sure its 15... Can somebody help me?
Thanks

it's 15!!
most of people start at 15 and finished at 18.
but there're some people start at 16.
I started my Sr. high school days at 15.
and finished at 17.
(NOT grade skipping, After graduation ceremony I became 18.)

Japanese school starts at April and ends next March.
They were born in early April and they became 16 before their entrance ceremony.
and most of students become 16 by the end of the year.

Another reason most Japanese people would think Korea is closest is because the chain of Islands that are so close are Russian occupied and claimed by Japan, though supposedly there is a treaty that has been signed and just has to be ratified by the Russians that would end the Russian occupation, though the Japanese only claim the southern four so even if Russia leaves them for Japan, Russia will still be the closest country to Japan

Back
Top Bottom