What's new

I have a few questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My friend Herbert tells me that I wont get paid very well,but I think 2000-2500 a month is pretty good for teaching english,but are there any better jobs I could get in Japan?

Why not though?Im not leaving for Japan until I speak Japanese fluently.

How do you plan on doing this? There's a lot more to working in Japan (outside of teaching English) than speaking Japanese.

1. How the hell do you plan to become fluent (one of the most misused words ever) in Japanese in the U.S.?

2. For what other jobs do you have aptitude, training, and professional qualifications?

You do actually have to bring with you

MARKETABLE JOB SKILLS

if you plan on doing something other than teach English, which is the only field with practically no requirements whatsoever than a pulse, a necktie, and the ability to satisfy Immigration requirements for entering the country.

I'm more and more convinced you're a troll.

Bikaben san. 窶堋?窶堙懌?堙ィナ?w窶堙ア窶堙??堋「窶堙遺?堋「窶堙ァ窶堋オ窶堋「窶堙??堋キ窶堋ッ窶堙? . . I hope you know what that means...and since you claim to 'read, write, and speak Japanese pretty well.'

If you have a serious question to ask, I think it would be taken well. At the moment you seem to have set off a flashing red light. Please check out all those links kindly shared, study them well--I mean like, do some homework--and then if there is some 'REAL' question that you have come back here and ask.

Please do check out the WHOLE forum !! I'll see you 'round !! MM

Yes, marketable skills is the No. 1 requirement!! (*bows respectfully to Mike*)

Although it is practically unthinkable to gain Japanese language fluency without immersing in a Japanese-speaking environment, this guy is one of the "rare" expectional breed:

A Canadian "ani-ota" at 2ch

I love the culture,I dont like the US very much so I want to start a new life there..

How old are you?
You are a citizen of the greatest country in the world and one bad president with a failed policy does not change that.

Your problems are not where your living but how your thinking.

Not flaming ...just droppin' my 2 cents!

Last edited:
How old are you?
You are a citizen of the greatest country in the world and one bad president with a failed policy does not change that.

Your problems are not where your living but how your thinking.
Not flaming ...just droppin' my 2 cents!

Let's leave Lyndon Johnson out of this.

You're right, though. People who globe-trot in an attempt to leave their problems behind them are often surprised to find that the problems made the trip with them just fine.

People who globe-trot in an attempt to leave their problems behind them are often surprised to find that the problems made the trip with them just fine.
Most secure luggage ever, it's the only thing they managed not to break during my layover in LAX.

I am NOT trolling at ALL.I honestly want to do this.And NO,it is NOT the greatest country...It's a big bag of garbage that NEEDS to be taken out.Thanks for all your help.Right now I'm working on my Japanese so I probably wont actually go there until next year.I can read Katakana,I can read SOME Hiragana and..I dont even want to get into Kanji.As for the spoken language,Im working on that as well.

I know what I'm doing.Im definately not flaming here as I really love Japan and Akihito is a great Emperor(Although he is getting old...)

Last edited:
Right now I'm working on my Japanese so I probably wont actually go there until next year.I can read Katakana,I can read SOME Hiragana and..I dont even want to get into Kanji.As for the spoken language,Im working on that as well.
Didn't you also write...
Im not leaving for Japan until I speak Japanese fluently.
Withe the above statements of your progress and inclination, you are going to be waiting a long, long time.

Please elaborate, especially on the "NEEDS to be taken out." part. I feel a hypocricy storm coming along.

I've always thought that Americans like that are taking out the garbage when they leave. Rather thoughtful of them, I must say.

I am NOT trolling at ALL.I honestly want to do this.And NO,it is NOT the greatest country...It's a big bag of garbage that NEEDS to be taken out.Thanks for all your help.Right now I'm working on my Japanese so I probably wont actually go there until next year.I can read Katakana,I can read SOME Hiragana and..I dont even want to get into Kanji.As for the spoken language,Im working on that as well.

I know what I'm doing.Im definately not flaming here as I really love Japan and Akihito is a great Emperor(Although he is getting old...)

honestly, if you dont learn kanji, the only job that you can apply for is teaching english.
and may i ask, what is your major in college?

Didn't you also write...
Withe the above statements of your progress and inclination, you are going to be waiting a long, long time.
He also wrote this two weeks ago...

I don't think i'll ever lose my intrest in Japan as I already read/write and speak it pretty well and I wouldnt waste years of my life learning a language that I'll never use.

No need to worry about the rest of the time that will be wasted if you've already been studying for years. :eek:

Nothing deflates one's self-assessment of "I speak Japanese pretty well" quite like actually setting foot in Japan.

Nothing deflates one's self-assessment of "I speak Japanese pretty well" quite like actually setting foot in Japan.
Kind of reminds me of Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. Remember when they went to Bolivia, and Butch said he could speak "some Spanish", yet when they cased their first bank, he couldn't understand a word that the local guard spoke?

Newsflash: Works for pretty much every language. For some reason, only Scandanavian (and a select few other) countries have fantastic foreign language speakers w/o setting foot abroad.

I actually go to school for teaching.Also,I have a close Korean friend who is soon going to Korea.I had a crazy idea.Should I teach in Korea first,brush up in my Japanese while there,save up for Japan,THEN go to Japan?Or should I just go to Japan?

Why not just forget about becoming fluent, and enjoy traveling around Asia. Korea won't be a much better place for you to learn Japanese, especially if it's being taught in Korean. How do you expect to save up for Japan whilst living in another foreign country?

How do you expect to save up for Japan whilst living in another foreign country?
Korea plays English teachers better than Japan, because they are in higher demand there. It is also more common to find airline ticket reimbursal and apartment rent reimbursal (not probable, but more likely than Japan). Dunno if it pays anything decent, though.

To save money, eat cheap food.

Might as well learn Korean if you do go to Korea. The bars that you will go to probably wont have that many "foreigners not allowed signs", I am sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom