What's new

I had sushi

The first time i ever tried sushi was when my mate bought a box of the stuff from a local boots store one lunchtime (boots is the company name, not the product it sells 😌 ) it was okay but it was obviously sedate stuff for western tastes.

I've tried thre japanese stuff from convenience stores "seberun erebun" to an actual sushi resturaunt.

Its definately an aquired taste but compared to all the things and lower life-forms the japanese are fond of bringing up from the depths, it doesnt seem the wierdest.

I have to admit im still not too big on most types of sushi, the raw fish ones i avoid most, and i hate sweet egg so i avoid those ones, but the ebi ones and veggie ones and rolls are good (i ate one of those "oni" ones for this throwing nuts aronud the house tradition thing) and yeah, im alright on sushi but i cant say i am addicted to the stuff and i certainly avoid the raw fish ones as much as possible.

My favorate food in Japan has to be cooked fish, i like cooked fish, plain, without sauce or anything, maybe just a dab of salt.

I also enjoy catching the fish myself, though i feel intensly sorry for the poor buggers i catch, i havnt done it too often but i think fishing is going to be a hobby of mine :).

I dunno, fish is just something i enjoy cooked, eating it raw seems odd.

Is anyone familiar with the horse meat sushi? :/

I didnt even think of touching that stuff....I used to think i had a wide and varied pallete but honestly, asians put me to shame.:p

edit: also, i forgot to mention, when i was at the sushi resturaunt i couldnt for the love of god figure out how sushi became the national dish of japan basically, i dunno, as a westerner im used to the posh-git chefs choice of recipe being stuff where you have to make sauces and stuff and mix and prepare, but sushi is basically a lump of rice with a bit of raw fish chucked on top :/.

Well, its a little more then that but being raw, i could probably make sushi like a pro in my own home. :D

I guess its the same way japanese go nutz over a bowl of noodles, ramen is good and all but, its on TV shows almost every day, with what i can only assume is a famous chef making posh ramen. :p

nurizeko said:
The first time i ever tried sushi was when my mate bought a box of the stuff from a local boots store one lunchtime
You got sushi from a Boots pharmacy!? No wonder it probably tasted foul. ;) "Yah... lets see, bag of crisps, 6 pack of wife-beater (Stella Artois), and mmm that sushi platter!" ;)

nurizeko said:
My favorate food in Japan has to be cooked fish, i like cooked fish, plain, without sauce or anything, maybe just a dab of salt.
I havent had ANY cooked fish while in Japan, oddly, but I would like to try the fish that they skewer whole with three sticks and lean close to an open flame like wood, to cook... saw that on the program Nai Nai Size.

In any case there is nothing that says that you HAVE to like any certain food--- generally I find sushi/sashimi to be quite delicious owning to the different textures and tastes associated with it--- A classic story, my parrents who are none-two wordly in the food department, ordered some lightly seared Ahi tuna, this is mostly raw--- but they didnt know this was how it was served, still they kept sending it back until it was nearly charred.... I wasnt there but i would have been hiding underneath the table.

nurizeko said:
I dunno, fish is just something i enjoy cooked, eating it raw seems odd.
You're missing out on beef tataki, etc etc... !

nurizeko said:
Is anyone familiar with the horse meat sushi? :/ I didnt even think of touching that stuff....I used to think i had a wide and varied pallete but honestly, Asians put me to shame.:p
Raw horse meat is really decicious (same with raw beef for that matter), sometimes served with a raw egg on top--- The local sushi restaraunt in my neighborhood has started serving horse meat sushi as well... horse is considered quite a delicacy.

nurizeko said:
edit: also, i forgot to mention, when i was at the sushi resturaunt i couldnt for the love of god figure out how sushi became the national dish of japan
Well, I dont know if it is the 'national dish' as people dont cook it and eat it at home, and for a long time it was seen mostly just for special occasions--- (maybe still is at finer restaraunts)... Fish is a huge part of the Japanese diet period, notable by the many number of words in the Japanese language to describe fish and their qualities--- I think it's a natural progression of their society, environment, climate, the fact that they are surrounded by the sea!

nurizeko said:
but sushi is basically a lump of rice with a bit of raw fish chucked on top :/.
Remember that when you try to make some yourself! I'm sure there are a number of (trained) sushi preparers who would like to have a few words out back w/ you over that commnet ;)

nurizeko said:
Well, its a little more then that but being raw, i could probably make sushi like a pro in my own home. :D
There are varying degrees of quality to any chef, but let me just answer with... Ummmm, No.

nurizeko said:
I guess its the same way japanese go nutz over a bowl of noodles, ramen is good and all but, its on TV shows almost every day, with what i can only assume is a famous chef making posh ramen. :p
Ramen is quite great, it can be cheap, and i can be quite well done at a restaraunt, where they bring you out a huge bowl of sliced pork and ramen the way a cook should make it, same with udon... with freshly made soft noodles (not those hard ones inthe little Nissin package)...

Like i said, nobody (even the Japanese) like EVERYTHING, but I feel you might miss out on something really tasty if you avoid so much of what Japan has to offer.

ちらし寿司

Chirashi-zushi is often associated with the hinamatsuri day, when it is served with shirozake (rice wine not for kids.)

Chirashizushi is called bara-zushi, matsuri-zushi and so forth in some regions.

Oa_C_c11_bs-1.jpg

Related thread

I havent had ANY cooked fish while in Japan, oddly, but I would like to try the fish that they skewer whole with three sticks and lean close to an open flame like wood, to cook... saw that on the program Nai Nai Size.

Ive had that, its delicious! :)

And the fish i caught was cooked much in the same manner apart without the stick and on a plate, it was also delicious.

I love ramen! its so tasty, nice and hot and filling, a good bowl of soup, i still dont think it needs to be on TV 24/7 but, its definately good stuff, and ive always liked a good bowl of soup.

Aw man, how i now yearn for that ramen shop on the corner down from my girlfriends place......:( i want ramen...

Back
Top Bottom