What's new

I got caught by police for not taking permission of photos

Muz1234

Sempai
13 Aug 2014
The police caught me while I was taking photo of Japanese girls without their permission in Malaysia. Is it a crime to take photos without permission?

Saying that you got caught sounds like you got in trouble; they would've told you if what you were doing was criminal. From what I read, shooting in public is fair game in Malaysia, but you're increasingly likely to get told off by security whether they have the legal authority or not.

Japan has more rules about photography, both etiquette and legal. If you're purposefully trying to snap candid pictures of specific individuals without their consent, you would be breaking the law. Furthermore, it's called tousatsu, more or less "stealing a shot," and is frowned upon here. It's also creepy. Please don't do it. Photography Do's and Don'ts

Next time, just approach them and ask for a photo. And respect their wishes if they say no

Photography Do's and Don'ts
Okay, so i`ve read the whole article but still found no links or references to actual laws and regulations. I would really appreciate if someone could point me to a Japanese resource listing all the legal aspects about street photography.

Why lie i like taking pictures of strangers when i`m out. Every other time i ask for permission and have never been refused to. But just like the article fairly noticed people look more "natural" when they are not aware of being shot. It`s not like i take panchira shots, mind you.

I am perfectly aware that i`m breaking etiquette, but if i realize that i am also breaking the law then i`ll stop taking pictures of farmers working in rice paddies, train drivers pointing at railway signals, yankis squatting at a combini parking lots etc.

I agee with you Lothor, I have many photos of strangers in Japan even some girls. There's a wikipedia article about 肖像権 here.
Generally speaking if you're following common sense you should be fine, especially if you're not using the photos for commercial purposes or posting them on SNS.

The only time I got chastised was one time when I was taking a picture of one of those girls dressed as a maid cafe girl handing out adverts on the street corner. I hadn't seen the no photos sign. Of course I'll respect it (or at least take a picture with a telephoto keeping the subject unawares haha) but I'm thinking what, do you really think you can stand around Akihabara dressed like that and not have your picture taken??

As for Malaysia, I don't know the law but it does sound like you're crossing the boundaries of basic etiquette depending on the circumstances.

WHAT??? You would be screwed without them , LOL. When someone is trying to kill you or break into your house ; who are you going to call , Ghostbusters??
200.gif

Hummm??? Which God? There are so many of them through the ages. I think of my wife as my God. She seems to control every aspect of my life , food , money , my house & car. I try never to anger her and usually bow down to her. She does carry a gun , a Colt Mustang .380 and is a crack shot. I have studied many Gods and have even read the Koran , studied Tao & Zen. I've asked all of them for help with things and they seem to have me on ignore? So anyway , I think if I have trouble , I'll call my wife and know she will answer.
200.gif

Damn the police, damn them. I hate them!!!
They are quite right to intervene if you are taking photos of people without permission. People need to be protected from such behaviour. How would you feel if you had a sister and people were taking photos of her without her permission?

They are quite right to intervene if you are taking photos of people without permission. People need to be protected from such behaviour. How would you feel if you had a sister and people were taking photos of her without her permission?
Angry, I guess...

Back
Top Bottom