What's new

How would you say that in Japanese?

drdave

後輩
23 Jan 2004
Ok... this should be an easy one, but none of my dictionaries (or online edict for that matter) list this simple expression. From talking with japanese friends it would nearly sound like such a concept does not belong to the language.
How would you translate in Japanese:

"Why not?"

the closest I could get was 別に「べつに」
but it's more along the line of "no reason"... also, it's ok for informal speech, but definitely not for formal situations.
Suggestions anybody?

Originally posted by drdave
Ok... this should be an easy one, but none of my dictionaries (or online edict for that matter) list this simple expression. From talking with japanese friends it would nearly sound like such a concept does not belong to the language.
How would you translate in Japanese:

"Why not?"

but it's more along the line of "no reason"...
Suppose you wouldn't like いいじゃん either then. ;-)

also, it's ok for informal speech, but definitely not for formal situations.

"Why not?" isn't suitable for formal situations.
(If you disagree, try it next time your boss asks why you're doing something :p )

[edit] Oh yes, I should add that there is a difference between the English
"Why not?" - "Why are you alphabetising your CD collection?" "Why not?"
and "Shall we go to that new restaurant?" "Why not?"

From the べつに I assumed you were referring to the first type.

Originally posted by PaulTB
Suppose you wouldn't like いいじゃん either then. ;-)
Actually, the "formal" part was just meant to say I'd love to get a suitable way to say it in both situations (as usual with Japanese, you end up having to learn twenty thousand forms for any word you wanna say or write ;o)
nonetheless, I'm not sure I'd use いいじゃん to mean "why not"... to me, it's always been rather to express a casual "nice innit"... but maybe I missed one of its use...
just in case I was not very clear in the tone I want, it would go something like: -"Why do you want to go to Mongolia for your next vacations?"
-"Why not."

"Why not?" isn't suitable for formal situations.
(If you disagree, try it next time your boss asks why you're doing something :p )
Well I'd need how to say it to begin with (vicious circle |-)
True, it's not the most respectful answer to give to someone... but 別に is not something I think I'd even say to an older acquaintance or any person on semi-formal terms... though maybe, after all...

just in case I was not very clear in the tone I want, it would go something like: -"Why do you want to go to Mongolia for your next vacations?"
-"Why not."
In my opinion, (別に)いいじゃん would be a fine (if informal) translation of the "Why not" in the above example.

Konnichiwa Minasan!

I think the closest is "Betsuni" too, but there is a lot of various terms. Of course "Betsuni Iijanaidesuka" is one of them.
What kind of terms are the best? I think it is decided from the context.:p

NANGI

"Why not?"

but it's more along the line of "no reason"... also, it's ok for informal speech, but definitely not for formal situations.
Suggestions anybody?
Depending on the question, betsu ni can also carry the implication of "doesn't matter" or "either way is fine."

ok... thanks I guess there really actually isn't a better way then! ;o)

Btw, sorry to sidetrack like that on another pretty minor point, but regarding PaulTB's じゃん in いいじゃん

how popular is it outside of the Tokyo/Yokohama area?

My friends use it all the time (美味しいじゃん、かわいいじゃん etc) but I was told it was rather local an expression... (even if the locality in question covers a fourth of the japanese population)
Should I use it/expect to hear it when traveling around in other cities?

Last edited by a moderator:
Konnichiwa Drdave-san!

The end of sentence "-jyan" is very populer because this is a Tokyo dialect, and this word is used in TV show, Manga, movie and etc.

But you should not use this word compulsorily. An instance, I use "-yan" but not "-jyan". "-yan" is Osaka dialect. I never change my dialect even if in Tokyo.:D

Of course you should not use "-yan" in Osaka too.:p

NANGI

uh well.. it seems with my jap friends at school that a simple "Nande" works the same way as why not.. when i say it i would get the same kind of responce as a why not. (mabye because its just means why) but yeh, that should work.

Back
Top Bottom