What's new

How hard will it be to get a part time-job?

... In any case, I applaud any young person who steps up and earns a buck instead of sponging completely off of their guardians.

+1 on that.

Jibzoiderz is looking for a part-time job, which I'm sure he'll find--they're all over the place. Who cares what it is? Maybe he'll even end up with two. Or with an onsen job over new year's, etc.

He's a student, and on the young side at that, just looking for some hours, not someone looking for a career in the english teaching industry.

If he were my kid I'd be cheering him on, encouraging him to go for it, and thanking my lucky stars that he is looking around like this and not kicking back on one of my credit cards.

Caution, where needed, yes. But this kid sounds great to me. I wish him the best of luck!

Mike, yes, yes, yes. I know it varies. 730 is close enough to give anyone a general idea. And,johnnyg, yes, I also applaud his proactive sense. I'm merely giving him a reason to do some calculations on how many part-time hours would be needed to pay for his dorm rent and food (the items he said he would have to pay by himself). It's a touch of reality, nothing more.

Mike, yes, yes, yes. I know it varies. 730 is close enough to give anyone a general idea. And,johnnyg, yes, I also applaud his proactive sense. I'm merely giving him a reason to do some calculations on how many part-time hours would be needed to pay for his dorm rent and food (the items he said he would have to pay by himself). It's a touch of reality, nothing more.
I calculated the rent beforehand. Monthly rent of 10,000 yen for dorm and 10,000 yen for food. If the minimum wage is 730 yen and working hours per week is 28 and do the math. I can earn 981,120 per.year.
650,000 yearly tuition fee + 240,000 yearly living expenses - 980,000 yen will leave me 90,000 extra yen which I can use for transportation, taxes,laundry etc. I guess thats enough.

What I am more worried about is not the money but the future of Japan. Failing economy,demographics and tough situations with neighbors etc. Will it be wise to invest time and resources to study their language? Will it be better to study in other countries where the future is safe? Sometimes after finishing some 80 kanji a day I sometimes wonder if will it be better to study German and go to a German university where education is free or try to get a scholarship at Australia where some of my relatives live.

Last edited:
Are you sure about the 10k/month for food? Is that in the school cafeteria?

If the purpose of studying the language is future monetary prospects, there are a variety of languages more likely to increase your earning potential.
If, on the other hand, you have an intrinsic interest in the language and culture, there is no better way to delve into those interests than living in the country.

Are you sure about the 10k/month for food? Is that in the school cafeteria?
I think so, the guy managing the institute said somewhere that price. I can also just cook my own meals which will be cheaper and easier.

If the purpose of studying the language is future monetary prospects, there are a variety of languages more likely to increase your earning potential.
If, on the other hand, you have an intrinsic interest in the language and culture, there is no better way to delve into those interests than living in the country.
I do plan to take up nano tech or neuroscience in tokyo university. My dream is to study in Japan where most of my friends came from and make a nerve-gear (I know just a kid dreaming) but hey it might happen.

I have no idea what a nerve-gear is, but have fun making it.

If I were you, I'd realize that a budget which just barely covers expenses is a recipe for catastrophe... Especially since it doesn't look like you've considered taxes.

10,000¥ per month for food seems like a hell of a stretch, considering that's about 333¥ per day. I have a feeling you'll be very hungry a lot of the time.

Apple is going to dumb you down. Even destroy your profession.
Anyone speaking any language goes to anyone speaking whatever other language and it is translated. I don't know who does that, what app, but they all have iPhone.
Well translated, from what I have seen in my hospital and from my (Japanese) doctor.

I have no idea what a nerve-gear is, but have fun making it.

If I were you, I'd realize that a budget which just barely covers expenses is a recipe for catastrophe... Especially since it doesn't look like you've considered taxes.

10,000¥ per month for food seems like a hell of a stretch, considering that's about 333¥ per day. I have a feeling you'll be very hungry a lot of the time.

Hmmm Im not really sure whats the price for ordinary meals at Japan. I tried googling it but got mixed results.Can I ask how much do ordinary cheap meals cost like chicken + rice combo?

Not a cheap meal, just a lunch set. Normally under 1,000Y, Whatever establishment is open lunch time, they would have that price for a full set.

Not a cheap meal, just a lunch set. Normally under 1,000Y, Whatever establishment is open lunch time, they would have that price for a full set.

woah, 1000 yen for a normal single meal? Thats like 3 meals with drinks in my country. But thanks for the answer dude. I guess ill try to work at one of those restaurant part times and get free meals.

Apple is going to dumb you down. Even destroy your profession.
Anyone speaking any language goes to anyone speaking whatever other language and it is translated. I don't know who does that, what app, but they all have iPhone.
Well translated, from what I have seen in my hospital and from my (Japanese) doctor.

What in the world are you on about???

OP

What is the name of the institute you're going to attend? Does it have a website?

Now you're talking about eating for 10,000 yen per month and sleeping in the forest in Hokkaido, I'm really starting to wonder how much you have investigated this. Have you completed the paperwork for a student visa yet? Your family has to show that they have the money to pay your school and living expenses; you can't plan to pay your way by your own part-time work. I'm really starting to wonder if we should be treating you seriously at all.

This is not your country. You really have to figure out what prices are like here, not in the Philippines.

I think you are underestimating how much it will cost. Plus, in addition to taxes (mentioned earlier), you have to take into account the fact that you might actually be paid 730 yen/hour, but that's before withholding taxes take away part of it.

What in the world are you on about???
The OP said:

I speak almost-fluent japanese but can hardly write any Japanese....
I do plan to take up nano tech or neuroscience in tokyo university.
Not with your current level of Japanese.

The OP said:
Yes, that's what I wrote, I don't know why you replied with what you said.

I do plan to take up nano tech or neuroscience in tokyo university. My dream is to study in Japan where most of my friends came from and make a nerve-gear (I know just a kid dreaming) but hey it might happen.

Nerve-gear, like SAO? I'd like to see that :)

Can you get into Tokyo University (Tōdai)? It's the top school in Japan, considered one of the top 20 in the world for STEM disciplines---very competitive. What's your current academic level/background? You will need a PhD to study nano-tech or neuroscience (they aren't related, by the way). Japan is certainly a world-leader in robotics/computer/medical technology, but so are USA and Germany. I suggest taking a look at Tokyo Institute of Technology (Tōkōdai) for your indicated interests.

OP

What is the name of the institute you're going to attend? Does it have a website?

Now you're talking about eating for 10,000 yen per month and sleeping in the forest in Hokkaido, I'm really starting to wonder how much you have investigated this. Have you completed the paperwork for a student visa yet? Your family has to show that they have the money to pay your school and living expenses; you can't plan to pay your way by your own part-time work. I'm really starting to wonder if we should be treating you seriously at all.

Haha sorry about the sleeping in the forest part I had no idea why I wrote that, I really sounded like an idiot literally
The institute im going at is JLI 札幌国際日本語学院|北海道札幌市 and most questions are covered in FAQ.

Nerve-gear, like SAO? I'd like to see that :)

Can you get into Tokyo University (Tōdai)? It's the top school in Japan, considered one of the top 20 in the world for STEM disciplines---very competitive. What's your current academic level/background? You will need a PhD to study nano-tech or neuroscience (they aren't related, by the way). Japan is certainly a world-leader in robotics/computer/medical technology, but so are USA and Germany. I suggest taking a look at Tokyo Institute of Technology (Tōkōdai) for your indicated interests.

I have an average of 98 in my report card,or A+ in us terms. Yeah its awesome building a nerve gear. Me and my friends were able to build a drone using rasberry pi it was awesome and hope to understand machines more.

I spent a few minutes reading the information on the website, which is apparently a few minutes longer then you have spent reading the information on the website.

The one year and nine month course starts next month. I don't think you're going to make it.

There is nothing in the FAQ to give anyone the impression a dorm would be 10,000 yen per month, nor anything to give the impression one can eat for that amount either.

I'm really having trouble taking you seriously.

I spent a few minutes reading the information on the website, which is apparently a few minutes longer then you have spent reading the information on the website.

The one year and nine month course starts next month. I don't think you're going to make it.

There is nothing in the FAQ to give anyone the impression a dorm would be 10,000 yen per month, nor anything to give the impression one can eat for that amount either.

I'm really having trouble taking you seriously.

Hmm seems to be a typo, first of all I cant go this year as the minimum age is 16 so im going next year. I researched for a while and seems I am mistaken, average cost is more than twice of the 10,000 yen. My J friend said that the food was 10,000 php and I mistakenly thought it was 10,000 yen. ughh I was so stupid.

If you look at the current state of VR, neuroscience and prosthetics, you'll notice just how far off we are from realizing a fantasy device like the Nerve Gear. In fact I'd dare say that the headset as presented in the anime, which you just put on your head, is physically impossible - it would definitely take some invasive surgery to capture any and all instructions from the brain related to motion and speech (with good accuracy) while also preventing them from reaching your real limbs. The kind of surgery that may paralyze or kill a person.

Back
Top Bottom