What's new

How hard will it be to get a part time-job?

Have you actually talked to your parents about this plan? I'm getting the feeling the answer might be "no".

You're clearly enthusiastic and motivated to work and that's great, but you need to talk practicalities and finances with them.

If you look at the current state of VR, neuroscience and prosthetics, you'll notice just how far off we are from realizing a fantasy device like the Nerve Gear. In fact I'd dare say that the headset as presented in the anime, which you just put on your head, is physically impossible - it would definitely take some invasive surgery to capture any and all instructions from the brain related to motion and speech (with good accuracy) while also preventing them from reaching your real limbs. The kind of surgery that may paralyze or kill a person.
It is technically possible, we could put the brain into REM state and make a machine that simulates dreams and connect to our brain while sleeping.
Brain-Functions.jpg

"circuits in the brain become activated during REM sleep, which causes areas of the limbic system involved in emotions, sensations and memories, including the amygdala and hippocampus, to become active. The brain synthesizes and interprets this internal activity and attempts to find meaning in these signals, which results in dreaming. This model suggests that dreams are a subjective interpretation of signals generated by the brain during sleep."
DreamingBrain_540.gif

By focusing only on the parts of the brain that makes us dream then interfering with the reciprocal interaction between neurons and the two glutamate receptors. The only problem would be making a "safe" cheap, mass-producible type of machine that wont require complex wires smashed at your head and I hope to create that "safe" machine someday.

Have you actually talked to your parents about this plan? I'm getting the feeling the answer might be "no".

You're clearly enthusiastic and motivated to work and that's great, but you need to talk practicalities and finances with them.
Yeah already talked about it, they agreed as long as I keep those grades high.

It is technically possible, we could put the brain into REM state and make a machine that simulates dreams and connect to our brain
And then what? Dreams are subconscious and noninteractive (with the exception of people capable of lucid dreaming). If you want to simulate that, just darken your room, put on your headphones and watch a video. The big problem is not inputting sensory information, but reading out the intent of movement and translating that into ingame actions, *without* actually having to carry them out in real life, and apparently *without* precise measurements provided by electrodes placed on or in the brain, instead relying on the weakened, filtered, scattered signals that you can get your hands on from the other side of the skull.

Anime physics do not apply to real life... Not even a 東大 degree will change that.

OP:

You joined this forum lying and you've told one lie after another in this thread and and have completely wasted everyone's time.

It doesn't have to be invasive, most current research into BCI involves EEGs as the signal capturing agent.
Sure, this is perfectly fine for disabled people who have no other option of communicating/operating a computer and are stuck with thinking of numbers 1-9 at a rate of 10 digits per minute, as in the paper you linked. The Nerve Gear which the OP wants to make into reality, however, goes far beyond this: it captures your every movement intent and maps this data onto your in-game avatar in real time, with perfect accuracy. That is, it doesn't recognize a couple of brainwave patterns and map those to the WASD keys (such products exist commercially today); it literally lets you control your avatar's body like you would your own, going as far as facial expressions and speech. Basically like a Ghost in the Shell-style full-body prosthetic, except virtual.

So far, even "just" a brain-controlled text-only chat feature which doesn't require you to think of one letter at a time still very much requires invasive electrode placement.

Last edited:
I have an average of 98 in my report card,or A+ in us terms.
I have no way to judge your intelligence, nor your aptitude for graduate-level scientific research, but just your grades from secondary education (alone) have little bearing on whether a university as prestigious as Tōdai will accept you; admission requirements go beyond that. It's on the same level as Cornell or Northwestern (US), or ETH Zurich (Switzerland).
This isn't to discourage you, or start a debate, but I think you should examine the academic entry requirements more carefully, rather than presume you could study there.
Once you finish the undergraduate degree, and move on to graduate study, the entry requirements change again, and the sole focus becomes research abilities (coursework means very little there). So plan ahead.

Me and my friends were able to build a drone using rasberry pi it was awesome and hope to understand machines more.
Sounds fun, but realize that thousands of young people do these kinds of things so it's great for motivation but not a selling point for admission to top programs. On the bright side, glad you've found something you're interested in! Keep chasing that desire to learn! :)

Back
Top Bottom