What's new

How does this sentence fit in?

Rinilex

先輩
20 Feb 2013
旅立つ前、俺たちは記念に写真を撮ったね。三人がいつも一緒にいたという証として。右に俺、左にリュウイチ、そして真ん中にはお前が微笑んでいた。その愛しい笑顔は俺の心に深く刻まれているんだ。永遠に続く友情として。ただ、あの時の俺にはこれが最後の写真になってしまうとは思ってもいなかった。

永遠に続く友情として - this sentence doesn't seem to fit to me. "(Carved into my heart) as our everlasting friendship"? 愛しい笑顔 seems only to refer to her, and their relationship was more of a romantic one - he only referred to the relationship between all 3 of them as 友情. Don't think it works as a stand alone sentence, either...

旅立つ前、俺たちは記念に写真を撮ったね。三人がいつも一緒にいたという証として。右に俺、左にリュウイチ、そして真ん中にはお前が微笑んでいた。その愛しい笑顔は俺の心に深く刻まれているんだ。永遠に続く友情として。ただ、あの時の俺にはこれが最後の写真になってしまうとは思ってもいなかった。

永遠に続く友情として - this sentence doesn't seem to fit to me. "(Carved into my heart) as our everlasting friendship"? 愛しい笑顔 seems only to refer to her, and their relationship was more of a romantic one - he only referred to the relationship between all 3 of them as 友情. Don't think it works as a stand alone sentence, either...
She didn't smile as his lover at that time. She smiled in the center of the three as a friend of them, since her smile was also for リュウイチ.

This is one of those cases where it seems the English glosses don't actually cover the usage of the Japanese word. "Friendship" doesn't cut it, at least not if you're going to go with "that lovely smile was carved deeply in my heart as everlasting friendship." That doesn't make much sense. It seems like 象徴 should be in there, because "a symbol of our everlasting friendship" feels a lot better. That being said, that doesn't seem to be the meaning either, because it seems it's more along the lines of a reminder that she was now just a friend or something. This one is a bit confusing.

She didn't smile as his lover at that time. She smiled in the center of the three as a friend of them, since her smile was also for リュウイチ.

I think I get what you're saying, but it doesn't make much sense... "carved into my heart as everlasting friendship" sounds like it's missing a word, like Glenn said.

This is one of those cases where it seems the English glosses don't actually cover the usage of the Japanese word. "Friendship" doesn't cut it, at least not if you're going to go with "that lovely smile was carved deeply in my heart as everlasting friendship." That doesn't make much sense. It seems like 象徴 should be in there, because "a symbol of our everlasting friendship" feels a lot better. That being said, that doesn't seem to be the meaning either, because it seems it's more along the lines of a reminder that she was now just a friend or something. This one is a bit confusing.

I think so too... even in a previous, similar sentence, it has 証し in there. This one just doesn't seem to go with what he's saying, especially the 'friendship' part, considering who he's addressing (this is all in a letter to her, too.) It can't be any other word, either.

I can easily get 永遠に続く友情として as the same meaning as 永遠に続く友情の象徴 / 証しとして. (Or rather, the latter one sounds repetitive to me.) So, it would be a difference between the two languages, as Glenn-san wrote.

Ah, I see. So it wouldn't be out of line for me to translate that as 'as a symbol of our everlasting friendship'? If it's another implied omission. That does make more sense... it's a smile that's dear to him, but her smile in that particular photograph symbolises their friendship.

旅立つ前、俺たちは記念に写真を撮ったね。三人がいつ も一緒にいたという証として。右に俺、左にリュウイチ 、そして真ん中にはお前が微笑んでいた。その愛しい笑 顔は俺の心に深く刻まれているんだ。永遠に続く友情として。ただ、あの時の俺にはこれが最後の写真になってしま うとは思ってもいなかった。

....carved into my heart. As (ours is) a friendship that will live forever. Personally I think sounds perfectly fine in either language as a casual statement indicating how the speaker regards a current state of affairs.

文断片は文章を強調する効果がありますね。

Back
Top Bottom