先輩
4 Aug 2008
How would you say something like

"I MISS AMERICA"
"NOW I MISS MY DOG"
"I AM MISSING AMERICA NOW"
"I AM MISSING MY DOG NOW"

Thanks

アメリカが懐かしい, I would say is a good "I miss America," although you could be more direct with アメリカに帰りたい if you really want to go back.

I can only think of 犬に会いたい or 愛犬に会いたい for "I miss my dog," but I'm not sure that you really 会う animals. I'm not really sure what you would say for that.

To focus on "now" put an 今 in there, but I find it a bit strange (not that I'm necessarily right).

(今は) 自分の犬がいなくてさびしく思います。

This means you are lonely because your dog isn't there, like when the owner is going on a trip or something. But I also don't understand the context...

Something like 犬に会いたいな is probably fine too. :)

how about using 懐かしい ? doesn't that mean like something is missed or desired from your past?

how about using 懐かしい ? doesn't that mean like something is missed or desired from your past?
I don't think most people refer to "my pets" as being that far in the past, which is why I answered as I did. You need to explain the situation at least. 😅

懐かしい suggests sense of nostalgia, and often used when one is looking back one's childhood, for instance, or good old days (or something that reminds one of those days.)
So as Elizabeth mentioned, it does not really fit when you want to express you miss your pet...

What if your pet is dead?

In that case you can use 懐かしい.
But it really depends on the context - in case of "to miss", the feeling of the person.

It might be just me, but for me "to miss something/someone" has stronger feeling of "I want to see" compared with 懐かしい and ~がいなくて寂しい sounds closer (a bit of sadness/loneliness).
懐かしい is more like remembering someone/something/certain time with nostalgia (maybe with a bit of euphoria).

Being a non native of English, I cannot tell how much the word "to miss" has similar connotation/implication of 懐かしい.
😅

Yeah, it's tough because Japanese doesn't have a "miss" like this. "Miss" to me implies a "wishing you were here" more than anything else, so I guess it's sort of between 会いたい and いなくて寂しい. But I don't know either.

Same with the first example swapping the verbs around.

Residents : Amerika ni kaeritai na / Kaeritakunatta ....

Visitors : Amerika ni itai na / ikitai na / ikitakunatta ....

Of course you can also use Amerika ni inakute....(I feel ___ not being in America). Very close to "miss" in my opinion. :)

Just my two yen on how to express "miss something from the past" in Japanese.

Nostalgia (of the past that will not return)
アメリカにいた頃が懐かしい。
アメリカでの子供時代(学生時代、etc.)が懐かし い。
(ペットの)[insert pet name]がい た頃が懐かしい。

If you want to rewind your life:
あの頃に戻りたい。
アメリカにいた頃に帰りたい。
[insert pet name]がいた頃に戻りた い。

Strong longing for something that may or may not exist at present.
[insert pet name]が恋しい。
アメリカが恋しい。

😅

犬/ペット がそばにいる感覚が懐かしい。 "I miss having dogs/pets around me."

猫との生活は人生を本当に豊かにします ね...😍

私, 野良猫の健康管理や小屋等を世話する世話人....

Back
Top Bottom