What's new

How do you learn your verbs?

The7thSamurai

Master of the Universe
4 Feb 2005
Hey all,

Have started some serious verb study here. I've sort of morphed into a system of learning which seems to be going ok, but I'm also keen on hearing everyone elses method. Anyway, here's mine...

Currently I have a list of about 30-40 verbs in their basic "u" form. I'm learning these to heart using all the silly remembering techniques I can - word association, repetition, stupid stories etc.

From here I have other lists of these verbs in their other forms. Currently I'm focusing on the "te" form. For example, my "~te kudasai" list includes example phrases such as "tsukue o tsukatte kudasai", and my "~temo ii desu ka" list has examples such as "kore o nondemo ii desu ka?"

So I'm basically going over and over these lists until it's cemented into my mind.

I'm also doing my lists up mostly in hiragana and romaji, the kanji can wait.

Anyway, if you have any other ideas let us all know, and also let me know what you think of my method.

Cheers!

learning them in their basic "u" form (or dictionary form) is a good idea, that's how i go about it. in high school they started teaching all verbs in "i" form (masu form) because it follows a more logical pattern... but i don't like it... i tried explaining "u" form to my sister but she just wouldn't listen. corrupted from an early age by "i" form. fools!

Yea I agree about learning them in the plain form...

Mainly I just learn by repetition (flash cards) and also try to use the words as much possible in sentences, trying to speak them aloud as I do it so it feels comfortable.

I'd say learn them in plain form, but also write out their conjugations on the cards... I'd recommend in sentences. Repetition of them used properly is never a bad idea.

Back
Top Bottom