What's new

Home sweet home.

You have spent long time here. I thing it is very difficult for me to stay at one place.
I want to read your post. So that i can get some ideas of your long time staying here.

Hi Kasia. The internet has changed a lot over the years. Members here used to stay a year or more and we would often talk with each other and become good friends. Now members seem to join to ask a question or to read a few posts and they never return. I'm retired now and I look on JREF as a fun hobby. I work on staff here now and try to block spammers.

Hi Kasia. The internet has changed a lot over the years. Members here used to stay a year or more and we would often talk with each other and become good friends. Now members seem to join to ask a question or to read a few posts and they never return. I'm retired now and I look on JREF as a fun hobby. I work on staff here now and try to block spammers.

I am quite new here myself, but as I am married to a Japanese woman and we intend to move to Japan within a few years, I can see myself staying on this forum for a long time!

Over the years I've been on many forums with different themes, but talking about "the good old days of this forum" is always returning😄 There will always be some veterans talking about how good it used to be back in the days. I think forums in general are getting outdated. Social media are taking over.

One question though. Is it the holidays, or is this basically the standard activity on this forum? In two days time I have maybe written 20 to 25 posts, but it could look like I am posting like a mad fiend as I am the last commenter in many messages.:D

Both is true: it's definitely the summer season and also the fact that a generation that's grown up with "social media" is no longer used to discussions that require more than 140 characters. We also get a few requests a week by people who have no clue how to sign up and post a message.

I do not believe that fora will ever disappear, as they hold a treasure of information that can not be easily discovered on social media, but perhaps they have become less popular than in the noughties.

JREF will definitely not disappear even if the number of daily posts seems to be dwindling; it's actually pretty stable thanks to avid posters such as you. :)

I think people come here for depth.

It's not the quantity of messages which matter but the quality. The internet, and life in general, is full of superficial and outright wrong information. This is one of the few places I've found where people who don't know an answer generally leave it to those who do. I feel reasonably assured that if I read a thread about a question about Japanese, the answer will be accurate and not a guess by someone who really doesn't know what he's talking about.

I'll trade away 100 mediocre posts to get 1 excellent post any day.

Granted, that doesn't drive a ton of traffic.

Good uncle frank. It is nice to talk you. I also want to makes some good friends, So i am also here.

Back
Top Bottom