What's new

Help with WWII Japanese Diary

RiceLord

Registered
2 May 2019
Hello all,

I was able to pick up this diary recently only for a reasonable price. I always thought that these were particularly interesting as historian Aaron William Moore describes them as makoto no kagami or "mirror of truth", a tool to be used for personal self-reflection. The diary itself is in pretty poor condition. There's no history from the US side besides that it was purchased from a rummage sale. This could mean that a GI/Marine took home from the war or likewise some collector could've took it home in post-war Japan. There are approx. 30 or so pages of writing, which range from half a page to a full page. There's also 10 or more pages that have writing, but this is limited to 1-3 lines of kanji. The majority of the entries are written in pen, but there are some which have been written in pencil

That being said, I was wondering if someone could perhaps provide a gist about what's being written and perhaps point me someone/someplace where I can possibly have the diary translated in it's entirety. I'd love to do this project myself, but my Japanese skills are nowhere near proficient enough. I feel like it'd be a shame for it to just sit around without it's contents being known.

I'll attach several images of entries for context.

Thank you all in advance and as always, any help would be greatly appreciated

Front Cover .jpg6.jpg7.jpg8.jpg14.jpg18.jpg20 (Last Page).jpg

Wanted to add this page as well. The ink has faded a lot due to water damage, but I think it might be the name of a city perhaps?

Attachments

• 19.jpg
    19.jpg
    348.4 KB · Views: 207
It's just his daily life, for instance, woke up at 5:30, met a friend, maintained arms, etc. He said he arrived at a station of Manila tram on the page in the picture 6, so he was in Philippines at that time (the date is January 27th).

The ink has faded a lot due to water damage, but I think it might be the name of a city perhaps?
Yes, it's Nakagyō ward, Kyoto.

Back
Top Bottom