What's new

Help With Senninbari Please

Boongie

Kouhai
11 Feb 2020
Hello: Can anyone please assist with translation of the characters on this Senninbari? I am hoping that it is authentic but would appreciate any feedback if it is not.
Thank you,
Boongie

Attachments

• Belt with coins.jpg
    Belt with coins.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 133
  • Belt Closeup.jpg
    Belt Closeup.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 130
  • Belt with coins closeup.jpg
    Belt with coins closeup.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 129
武運長久 - Buunchōkyū
eternal luck in battle
This is the most common phrase found on flags and similar items.

武運長久 - Buunchōkyū
eternal luck in battle
This is the most common phrase found on flags and similar items.
If I may ask, are the characters with this phrase always in the same order as shown in this Senninbari? I thought that I have seen the same characters in reverse order. I know that the characters can also be be shown in a vertical order. Thank you.

The old way of writing is right-to-left, so normally on these sorts of things you will see the order as 久長運武. Sometimes it will have the word 祈 (inoru - pray) in front, 久長運武祈.

Sometime in the middle of the last century, the writing changed to left-to-right. Well, the process was accelerated after the end of the war, but ocassionally you can see WW2-era items where the writing goes from left-to-right, but the majority of things from this era are written right-to-left.

The old way of writing is right-to-left, so normally on these sorts of things you will see the order as 久長運武. Sometimes it will have the word 祈 (inoru - pray) in front, 久長運武祈.

Sometime in the middle of the last century, the writing changed to left-to-right. Well, the process was accelerated after the end of the war, but ocassionally you can see WW2-era items where the writing goes from left-to-right, but the majority of things from this era are written right-to-left.
Thank you Majestic! I just learned more about how Japanese characters are written. With your help, I found information on yokogaki and tategaki. Truly fascinating.

Back
Top Bottom