What's new

Help with choosing Ateji for my name.

iwamineshuu

後輩
29 Aug 2013
Hello! I need some help choosing ateji for my name.

My name means "Brave" and "Desire". As I'm really poor at names I'm in need of some help. All I can think of is 勇敢 願望 but that seems weird to me? Any help is appreciated.

Did you even look up the definition of Ateji?

"primarily refers to kanji used phonetically to represent native or borrowed words, without regard to the meaning of the underlying characters."

Did you even look up the definition of Ateji?

"primarily refers to kanji used phonetically to represent native or borrowed words, without regard to the meaning of the underlying characters."

From my understanding you can force a reading on a character if it has the same meaning? If not, I'm sorry.

You name in Japanese will be your name's pronunciation in Katakana. But of course you can choose some sino compound kanji for your name, but you can't just force a foreign sound onto an established vocabulary.

Okay in that case, I already know how to write my name in katakana, I guess. For some reason I was sure you could force a reading. Sorry for bothering you.

Hello! I need some help choosing ateji for my name.
My name means "Brave" and "Desire". As I'm really poor at names I'm in need of some help. All I can think of is 勇敢 願望 but that seems weird to me? Any help is appreciated.
What you are referring to is usually called 熟字訓[jukujikun]. However, ateji can be used as jukujikun in the broader sense of the word, as in the wiki page linked below, so your terminology is not incorrect.

The term ateji is also used for the opposite process, writing words using kanji for meaning only, without regard to the reading.
Ateji - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

How about 勇希? These kanji mean "Brave" and "hope/wish/desire" respectively, further, work perfectly fine as a female given name. (It can be a male given name, too.) This name is usually pronounced "Yūki".

You can give any readings to the kanji name legally, if you want. In fact, I once wrote this in this forum, there exists a male given name 拳, reading なっくる, which is most probably from an English word "knuckle". Although your local office might refuse to accept it depending the name, they tend to be tolerant with uncommon readings of names nowadays. Search DQNネーム or キラキラネーム on google. You can find so many examples. (I'm not going to recommend using those irregular readings, though.)

You can give any readings to the kanji name legally, if you want. In fact, I once wrote this in this forum, there exists a male given name 拳, reading なっくる, which is most probably from an English word "knuckle". Although your local office might refuse to accept it depending the name, they tend to be tolerant with uncommon readings of names nowadays. Search DQNネーム or キラキラネーム on google. You can find so many examples. (I'm not going to recommend using those irregular readings, though.)

Really, source Please?

I can legally name my child 天皇陛下 with reading ばかやろ if I want to?

The law doesn't limit readings, but the office can reject the name. This is what happened in "悪魔ちゃん命名騒動". Calling your kid 悪魔/あくま is not technically in breach of the rules on naming, but it was rejected on the grounds of child welfare. They then tried to register the child with a different set of kanji and the reading あくま, which was also rejected (the kid I think eventually ended up as あく with different kanji).

As nekojita-san wrote, 戸籍法 Family Registration Law and 戸籍法施行規則 Family Registration Law Enforcement Regulation don't have any articles about the reading of the name. It only provides the kanji that can be used in names.

戸籍法第五十条 子の名には、常用平易な文字を用いなければならない 。
○2 常用平易な文字の範囲は、法務省令でこれを定める。

戸籍法

戸籍法施行規則第六十条 戸籍法第五十条第二項 の常用平易な文字は、次に掲げるものとする。
一 常用漢字表(平成二十二年内閣告示第二号)に掲げる 漢字(括弧書きが添えられているものについては、括弧 の外のものに限る。)
二 別表第二に掲げる漢字
三 片仮名又は平仮名(変体仮名を除く。)

戸籍法施行規則

悪魔ちゃん命名騒動 - Wikipedia
(all in Japanese)

Do you think that 勇希 由希子 would be okay?
Are you looking for surname? 勇希 and 由希子 are both given name.

OK, how about 勇望? 勇[Isami] is usually a male given name, but also a surname that is common in Amami Island. 望[Nozomi] is a common female given name.

Back
Top Bottom