What's new

Help with an interpretation from a book I am reading

letslearn

先輩
11 Sep 2013
Hi Guys could I please trouble you for some assistance on interpreting a passage in a book I am reading called,
殺人レストラン。
The boy is at a stone built restaurant on top of hill and is decribing the scene.
レストランをこえて、むこうへくだると海だ。海水パンツのはいったバッグをふって、やっぱりここで、はらごしらえをしようときめた。石づくりの搭のようなレストランにはいると、ひやりとつめたい。

Does レストランをこえて、むこうへくだると海だ mean, if you go down past the restaurant there is the sea?
Does やっぱりここで mean still there. as in the swimming costume is still there.
Does ひやりとつめたい。 mean a cold terifying chill?

My interpretation is...
If you go down past the restaurant there is the sea. I shaked the bag with the swimming costume in side. Yes its still there. I decided to have something to eat before going. As I went into the stone tower like restaurant I felt a terifying chill.

よろしくお願いします

Hi Guys,
I've just got a quick couple of Questons in regards to another section of the book so I thought I might add it to the same thread.

In the hotel he has found an old photo album on a bed and is looking through it.
on the next page he sees a photo of an ocean scene and is descibing it.
次のページをひらくと、えっ、海だ。
ひろびろとした海の上に、いま、とびこもうとしている青年がうつっている。よーし、かっこいいとこ、とってやるぜ、なんていいながら、だれかがとったんだろう。
To me it sounds like when he opens the next page the photo shows a young man just about to jump into the ocean. An he is wondering who took the photo.

I take it that よーし、かっこいいとこ、とってやるぜ is what the boy imagines the photograher is saying "alright thats cool, I'll take your picture for you" is that right?

The next bit なんていいながら、だれかがとったんだろう。 Why is なんていいながら used? Is it because the boy is speaking to himself about よーし、かっこいいとこ、とってやるぜ as well as wondering だれかがとったんだろう。

よろしくお願いします

"Probably someone (だれか) took this picture while saying (いいながら) something along the lines of (なんて) 'Alriiight, I'll shoot a photo of you doing something cool'"

"Probably someone (だれか) took this picture while saying (いいながら) something along the lines of (なんて) 'Alriiight, I'll shoot a photo of you doing something cool'"
Oh so he is not wondering who took the photo. He is just thinking what probably occured. That makes more sense. I thought that the だろう in だれかがとったんだろう only applied to the だれか and he was asking who took the photograph.

I find alot of the use of なんて, なんで、なんという etc. sometimes very vauge.

Thanks Lanthassan

If that were the case, it would be: 誰が撮ったんだろう?
But unlike 誰 (who), 誰か (someone) is not a question word.
Yes, he's just imagining the scene and placing himself in the photographer's shoes but is not actually showing curiosity about the photographer himself.
My non-professional translation:
On the spacious sea, now, a youth who's about to dive in is depicted.
Somebody probably took this shot while saying "All right! I'm gonna take this great-looking moment."

Yes, he's just imagining the scene and placing himself in the photographer's shoes but is not actually showing curiosity about the photographer himself.
My non-professional translation:
On the spacious sea, now, a youth who's about to dive in is depicted.
depicted what a great word.
Thanks mdchachisan

Back
Top Bottom