What's new

Help translating a flag

Onryo

後輩
2 Jun 2015
Hi, I saw this flag and I was wondering if anything special is in the signatures? I believe the big bold vertical script on the right hand side reads, "Congratulatins Yoshio Sugimura" Also, does this one look good or is it a fake? Thanks, N

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

The name is correct, but the right end column is 祈武運長久 Inoru Buunchōkyū "Praying for good luck in battle", not "Congratulations".
Seems like genuine, but I'm not confident about it.

Both would be fake. Some signatures/phrases seem to be written by the same hands in the upper one. As for the lower one, it's very uncommon that there are so many poems and its authors written there. Furthermore, the name of a very famous poet is wrong.

Thanks Toritoribe! How do you tell fakes besides writing by the same hand" incorrect strokes, etc? Also, how about these?
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Of all the telltale signs of a fake, there is none more prominent than the flag's appearance on an online auction site.

One has to be suspicious of all of these things since they can easily be faked by anyone who has access to a cheap supply of Japanese flags, and a black pen. So if something can be easily faked, and there is access to a large and gullible market (ebay), the market will be flooded with fakes. Its absolutely scandalous that so many people can still get several hundreds of dollars for a fake item. I'd say avoid ebay or any online auction sites. Too easy for somebody to post a random flag and say "authentic battle flag" or "captured war flag" or some other completely unknowable description.

I am not an expert, but isn't there a way to validate the age of the material?

I think it is very difficult in general to claim authenticity, as it is "just a flag with writings on it". I agree with majestic that this is an item you should buy at legitimate places. Apart from that I wonder why one would want to own a Japanese battle flag, but maybe that's just my personal opinion about war.

I am not an expert, but isn't there a way to validate the age of the material?

I think it is very difficult in general to claim authenticity, as it is "just a flag with writings on it". I agree with majestic that this is an item you should buy at legitimate places. Apart from that I wonder why one would want to own a Japanese battle flag, but maybe that's just my personal opinion about war.

I think he's getting these pictures of eBay or something so he can't touch the items.
I agree with you -- I also wonder why someone would care unless they are a dealer or something.
If I happened to get one I'd attempt to repatriate it.

Thanks for your opinion guys. I'm not really a dealer, but I like how they look overall and if I had the ability to recreate one, I would. Yes, these are off ebay. If I had these in hand, I would be more confident in making a decision.

Back
Top Bottom