What's new

Help to plan 3.5 week trip to Japan during the Rugby World Cup

aaronjpitts

Registered
24 Jul 2019
Hi guys,

I'm going to Japan September 21st - October 14th with my brother and a friend. We are going for the Rugby World Cup and are going to see the following matches:
  1. England vs Tonga - 22nd September - Sapporo
  2. England vs USA - 26th September - Kobe
  3. England vs Argentina - 5th October - Tokyo
  4. England vs France - 12th October - Yokohama
We will be starting in Sapporo arriving there late on the 21st September and leaving from Tokyo on the 14th October. Based on the above match schedule, could anyone please suggest the perfect amount of time to spend in each city and any must-do things whilst we are there? We are also keen to stop by some other cities in between if it makes sense. We will be getting the J Rail pass to get around.

We are three guys in our mid-late twenties who do enjoy a good night out, good restaurants and want to experience some real Japanese culture etc.

Many thanks!
Aaron

You'll get more feedback (and a lot more out of your holiday) if you do some research, post a schedule and ask us to comment on it. You can enjoy a good night out, eat from good restaurants and experience some real Japanese culture (whatever that is! I don't know and I've lived here since 2003!) anywhere in Japan, so base your trip on stuff that you'd particularly like to see between the rugby matches.
You're absolutely right getting a JR pass.

Have been in Hokkaido since 1998, and lived in Sapporo for 7 years. Susukino is the part of Sapporo south of the Odori Park downtown area where lots of bars can be found. The city has almost 2 million people, so it has plenty of restaurants virtually everywhere, though. It's an easy city to get around, but I have never really found it to be all that exciting from a tourist point of view. Go 45 minutes away to Otaru and you can see a canal with Russian warehouses on the side, a steam-powered grandfather clock on the sidewalk, glass blowing, and shops with glass or wood crafts or music boxes, as well as a whole street with sushi restaurants. Sapporo has its Sapporo Beer Factory, which is nice for a tour and a meal of genghis khan (roasted lamb). About the only other thing of culture is the Hokkaido Shrine, but considering you'll be in other cities, it might be a let down. Google it. Also check out locations for Ainu displays. South of Odori Park is the covered shopping arcade (12 blocks long) called Tanuki Koji.

Yikes! Just starting your planning now? I run a travel agency in Kyushu and all the hotels in venue cities filled up months ago. The only ones still with availability have crazy prices. I assume it's going to be similar situation in other places in Japan too. Strongly suggest you get your accommodation booked ASAP. Good luck.

Have been in Hokkaido since 1998, and lived in Sapporo for 7 years. Susukino is the part of Sapporo south of the Odori Park downtown area where lots of bars can be found. The city has almost 2 million people, so it has plenty of restaurants virtually everywhere, though. It's an easy city to get around, but I have never really found it to be all that exciting from a tourist point of view. Go 45 minutes away to Otaru and you can see a canal with Russian warehouses on the side, a steam-powered grandfather clock on the sidewalk, glass blowing, and shops with glass or wood crafts or music boxes, as well as a whole street with sushi restaurants. Sapporo has its Sapporo Beer Factory, which is nice for a tour and a meal of genghis khan (roasted lamb). About the only other thing of culture is the Hokkaido Shrine, but considering you'll be in other cities, it might be a let down. Google it. Also check out locations for Ainu displays. South of Odori Park is the covered shopping arcade (12 blocks long) called Tanuki Koji.
I first read that as Russian whorehouses :oops: Agree that Otaru is much more worth visiting (that clock tower that Sapporo keep boasting about is nothing compared with what you can see in an average European town) and the beer in Otaru is better too. Otaru Beer — Hokkaido Brewing
I also like central Hokkaido, check out Biei and Furano.

Events during the Rugby World Cup

Sapporo
Sapporo Autumn Fest 2019
September 6, 2019 (Friday) to September 29 (Sunday) for 24 days.
Location: Odori Park 1st Street and 4th to 8th Streets, 10th Street, 11th Street.

Yokohama
Yokohama Oktoberfest 2019
Period: Late September to early October

Yokohama Oktoberfest 2018

Back
Top Bottom