What's new

Help me to make a Engagement Proposal in Japan

eternald

後輩
11 Feb 2009
Hi Everyone,

I'll be visiting Japan for the first ever time this coming June with my girlfriend whom i have been together for 4 years. We are from Singapore but are absolute fans of Japan. I'll be visiting Tokyo and its surrounding regions and i was thinking about proposing to her in Japan. I'm alittle lost for ideas so i'm asking for help from all you nice people.

I'm kind of looking for a romantic proposal idea. It doesnt matter if it draws alot of attention. Thinking of a beautiful and romantic place to propose in. Or something fun is also possible. I was also thinking of having dress up in traditional japanese outfits to do my propose to make it more special. How do Japanese people propose to each other? Is there gardens or scenery that would be beautiful in June to make my proposal? Is there any special ideas that people propose in Japan?

Thank you so much! Please do help me 🙂

How about in Hakone, going inside a cab of the famouse
ropeway along the lake Ashi.

How about fireworks festivals. There is one in Yokohama. The Yokohama Port Opening Festival (May 29-June 2) which It's celebrated the opening of the port of Yokohama in 1859 at Rinko Park, with concerts, fireworks and boat races. It's called "the Kaiko-sai festival".

How about going to Kawaguchi-ko, the lake Kawaguchi at the foot of the FujiSan, and getting onto Pink goose boats to see FujiSan from the lake. There are nice "onsens" and "ryokans" arround there as well.

My little grain of sand
🙂

Amigo has some good ideas for outlying areas of Tokyo. As for Tokyo itself, maybe doing it at the Meiji Shrine, or on the observation deck of Tokyo Tower, or a dinner boat on the Sumida River or in Tokyo Bay. There's also the Rainbow Bridge that connects to Odaiba.

Another possiblity is Atami Castle in Atami.

Many Japanese wait until Christmas eve and propose at dinner.

Your proposal ideas could be just about anything, but I'd hesitate to recommend dressing up as a Japanese.

Have a nice dinner.
Go to an onsen, perhaps one that you can share privately.
Take in a "night view" and propose there.

There are only 2 places which immediately come to mind. Armand recommended the Rainbow Bridge, which is in Odaiba. Odaiba is probably the most scenic place in Tokyo. Besides the view of the bridge, you can also see the skyline of the entire city, which is especially striking in the evening. The atmosphere in the area is wonderful, with a beautiful beach (albeit man-made), an interesting collection of shops and restaurants, and the giant Ferris wheel (on which countless people have proposed).

The other spot would be Disney Sea. It's a beautiful park, more adult than kid oriented, and it is particularly popular with couples. There are many interesting and romantic spots within the park, but I prefer the Venice themed area. It's beautifully lit at night, and the mandolin music which plays in the background sets a wonderful mood.

The best possible choice would be to get a hotel at either of these places; the Nikko Hotel at Tokyo Bay (in Odaiba), or the Mira Costa Hotel at Disney Sea. I've stayed in both places, and I guarantee them to dazzle both you and your girlfriend.

Nara is a very nice place too. Getting near the forest brings very nice sceneries. As glenski said, a good onsen with babmboo trees all around can also bring a nice and intimate atmosphere.

Visit Tokyo and enjoy your time in a cheap hotel, only go to cheap restaurants and walk pretty much to all destinations.

Then, the night before your planned proposal, tell her that she should pack her bags because you got sick of it all and want to return and that you changed the return date.

When you arrive in the airport a few hours later with a majorly pissed off fiancée-to-be, queue at the First Class counter of Air France or JAL for the flight to Paris.

Enjoy a nice flight with a completely shocked girlfriend, land in Paris International Airport, get picked up by a black limousine, take a scenic route through the city of Paris and visit the Champs d' Elysee, put your luggage in your booked Deluxe Suite in The Ritz Paris, take her to the booked private booth of a 3-michelin-star restaurant and propose to her over a candle-lit dinner.

How does that sound for shock-effect and an almost guaranteed "YES!"?

Remixer

Or alternatively, if you don't want to leave Tokyo:

Visit Tokyo and enjoy your time in a cheap hotel, only go to cheap restaurants and walk pretty much to all destinations.

Then, in the late afternoon of the planned proposal night, tell her that she should dress up, head over to a 3-michelin-star restaurant in Tokyo, after dinner, be picked up by a black limousine and drive to The Conrad or another luxury hotel via a scenic route of Tokyo, enter your Deluxe Suite where rose petals linen the way from the entrance to the king-sized bed. Propose to her with a knee on the floor and a rose in your teeth.

You will thank me when you hear her positive response.

Remixer

Thanks for your replies! All of them are extremely great suggestions! I'm glad i posted in this forum. 👍 Btw, i am thinking of going to Mt Fuji as well. How is the place like in June?

AMIGO: The ropeway does seem beautiful. But how is the interior of the cabin like? Is it usually a shared cabin with other people which makes it difficult to propose? Or if its kinda dirty it would be a pity. The surrounding view is amazing, this there a way to get to a beautiful spot at the edge of the water body with the mountains at the backdrop to do a nice proposal?

the pink goose is kinda cute too. Lake Kawaguchi is near Mt Fuji? You mentioned onsens and ryokans that is a great idea. Would you happen to have any one to recommend?

ArmandV: Yes Amigo has recommended very nice places. I do hear the Odaiba is a great place. But between the tokyo tower and odaiba, which would be a better choice?

Glenski: I did have this idea of having her dress up with a kimono or a geisha and me as something traditional as well. and bringing her to a lovely garden but i heard the gardens arent as beautiful in June for a nice and unique proposal idea. Would it seem too weird? You mentioned that you would hesitate for any dress up? Is there any place where it wont be so odd to do so?

Frontman: I've never considered disney sea. But i did consider the tokyo disney land. Is the sea a better place? So your suggestion would be to do it in the nikko hotel for the Odaiba. Is there a great spot which is private yet beautiful which i can take her to. I was thinking of finding ways to make it more unique or example a decorated area or a intentional proposal scene.

bluesratapoil: Nara does seem a little far. I heard kyoto would be a great place. I need to entice her to go to a location based on nice tourist spots first or it may seem weird to go Nara for a proposal. Is there any nice things to do near there. Whats ur opinion on kyoto?

Remixer: Hahaha! She will kill me if i kidnapped her to Paris. We already been there but she is yearning for Japan for the longest of times. Your idea is beautiful but kinda expensive. :( Hmmm, the hotel setting is abit of overused especially in singapore, where couples propose in a hotel all the time.

Back
Top Bottom