What's new

Help Researching An Army Shin Gunto Sword

Tim Tynan

Kouhai
25 Nov 2017
I'm researching a surrendered Army Shin Gunto sword and need some help.

The sword belonged to the Chief of Staff of the Japanese Army's 108th Infantry Division. It was surrendered to the Assistant G-3 of the US 81st Infantry Division (Lt. Col. Joseph Schultz) when the 108th was demobilized in Hachinohe, Japan in 1945. I've learned these two officers were Chiefs of Staff of that division, Col. Akira Kobori and Col. Nakataka Sakai. Unfortunately, I'm unable to determine if either of them was in that position at the end of the war.

My resources are limited and searching the net has had limited results. Could anyone help me identify the name of the officer who was Chief of Staff of the 108th Infantry Division in 1945? I know this is a great deal to ask. Thank you very much for any help you can provide.

参謀長 The chief of staff was 小堀晃大佐 Col. Kobori(surname) Akira(given name). 酒井治隆中佐 Lt. Col. Sakai(surname) Naotaka(given name) was 参謀, i.e., a staff officer.

第108師団 (日本軍) - Wikipedia
(all in Japanese)
Once again you've been been a great help to me Toritoribe. I can't thank you enough for solving this mystery for me. I hope I got this correct:
Dōmo arigatōgozaimashita
どうもありがとうございました

参謀長 The chief of staff was 小堀晃大佐 Col. Kobori(surname) Akira(given name). 酒井治隆中佐 Lt. Col. Sakai(surname) Naotaka(given name) was 参謀, i.e., a staff officer.

第108師団 (日本軍) - Wikipedia
(all in Japanese)

Toritoribe, I know this is a great deal to ask. How would one find out if Col. Kobori Akira is still alive?

Last edited by a moderator:
Col. Kobori Akira graduated from the Military Academy in 1920, so he must be born in around 1899. I don't think he is still alive.
The page 31.(ヒト−陸士32期)

Just for confirmation, where did you get the information that the 108th was demobilized in Hachinohe, Japan in 1945? According to the Japanese wikipedia page I linked above, the 108th division was established in Manchuria in July, 1944, not in Hachinohe, and was still there at the end of war.

Col. Kobori Akira graduated from the Military Academy in 1920, so he must be born in around 1899. I don't think he is still alive.
The page 31.(ヒト−陸士32期)

Just for confirmation, where did you get the information that the 108th was demobilized in Hachinohe, Japan in 1945? According to the Japanese wikipedia page I linked above, the 108th division was established in Manchuria in July, 1944, not in Hachinohe, and was still there at the end of war.
I saw a partially translated Wikipedia page with some of the unit's information. The sword came with a tag which I've included. Yes its very unlikely he has lived to 119. Thanks again for your help.

Attachments

• Shin Gunto 10.jpg
    Shin Gunto 10.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 184
I see. The Hachinohe airfield was occupied and founded as Camp Haugen in September 1945, so it would be the reason why it's done in Hachinohe, not Hirosaki where the headquarter of the division was placed.

Back
Top Bottom