What's new

Help please

Leslie

後輩
29 Mar 2007
Hello!

could you help me translate those two sentences :

- Japanese women have the greatest life expectancy in the world

- the difference of life expectancy between men and women is lowering because men and women have now the same life style.

How do you say "to have a lot of responsibilities" (at work)

Thanks a lot!

Hello!
could you help me translate those two sentences :
- Japanese women have the greatest life expectancy in the world
- the difference of life expectancy between men and women is lowering because men and women have now the same life style.
How do you say "to have a lot of responsibilities" (at work)
Thanks a lot!
For the first, there are at least these two. Do you also need hiragana or romaji ?
日本人女性の平均寿命は世界一です。
日本人の女性の平均寿命は、世界で一番長いです

For the second, I'm not really sure but maybe something like these :
現在は男女のライフスタイルは同じようになっているの で男女の平均寿命の差も下がっています。
現在は男女のライフスタイルは同じようになっているの で男女の平均寿命の差も狭まってきています。

I'm really tired right now so someone else will have to chime in for the third....
:sleep:
責任が重い? maybe ??? Not every anything I desire personally.... :eek:

That's very close!

I'd say: 多くの責任を負う
ああ、なるほど。nhk9さん、epigeneさん、 どうもありがとう。👍

「多く(沢山)の責任を引き受ける」ともいえますか? :cry:

Last edited:
「多く(沢山)の責任を引き受ける」ともいえますか?

Yes, maybe. But, 引き受ける suggests consent (acceptance of responsibility), so it is not necessary synonymous with "have" or "bear" responsibility (負う(おう)・担う(になう))

Yes, maybe. But, 引き受ける suggests consent (acceptance of responsibility), so it is not necessary synonymous with "have" or "bear" responsibility (負う(おう)・担う(になう))
Thanks, epigene-san ! My experience in Japanese with 責任・を負う or 引き受ける is limited to the sense of taking blame or being responsible for a mistake. (責任を取る)。:)

And then there are all the cultural differences to get through a good translation, too. However much most Americans might use it as a point of complaint, actually "have a lot of responsibilities" in English I think is fairly neutral. It could mean welcoming the prestige or a responsible position or a feeling of resentment at being so constrained. 責任が沢山ありますというのもできますか。 😅

Back
Top Bottom