What's new

Help! Dried Fish Flakes in English.

Sylvia Lo

Registered
12 Nov 2016
I bought this (photo attached) pack of dried fish flakes when I travelled to Japan. I wish to know what this is called in English but the packaging is all in Japanese which I do not read at all. Can anyone help in this, please? Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• P1090131.JPG
    P1090131.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 364
That's dried shaved bonito. You know...we can read Japanese, so a picture more clearly showing the label would have been more helpful than a picture of the fish shavings.

Thanks a lot Mike and Tori! I really appreciate that. That is good information for the purpose! The label photo is attached.

Attachments

• P1090651.JPG
    P1090651.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 322
Is Katsuobushi a general term for all types of Dried Shaved Fish? I checked wiki earlier but it says Katsuobushi is Bonito Flakes. I know Bonito Flakes as photo attached. This one I bought is of a different type.

Attachments

• Katsuobushi.jpg
    Katsuobushi.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 372
Indeed katuobushi refers to dried, fermented, and smoked skipjack tuna, as in the wiki page I linked in my previous post. Since katsuo means skipjack tuna/bonito, other terms are used for other fishes, such like sababushi for blue mackerel, ajibushi for jack mackerel or iwashibushi for Japanese anchovy. Furthermore, wood-type block ones are also called katsuobushi. The one you bought is atsukezuri, i.e., thickly-shaved version of katsuobushi.

Indeed katuobushi refers to dried, fermented, and smoked skipjack tuna, as in the wiki page I linked in my previous post. Since katsuo means skipjack tuna/bonito, other terms are used for other fishes, such like sababushi for blue mackerel, ajibushi for jack mackerel or iwashibushi for Japanese anchovy. Furthermore, wood-type block ones are also called katsuobushi. The one you bought is atsukezuri, i.e., thickly-shaved version of katsuobushi.

Thank you so much, Toritoribe! That was awesome explanation!

Back
Top Bottom