What's new

Help! Dried Fish Flakes in English.

Sylvia Lo

Registered
Reaction score
I bought this (photo attached) pack of dried fish flakes when I travelled to Japan. I wish to know what this is called in English but the packaging is all in Japanese which I do not read at all. Can anyone help in this, please? Thank you in advance.

Attachments

Mike Cash

骨も命も皆此の土地に埋めよう
Reaction score
That's dried shaved bonito. You know...we can read Japanese, so a picture more clearly showing the label would have been more helpful than a picture of the fish shavings.

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Staff member
Reaction score

Sylvia Lo

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks a lot Mike and Tori! I really appreciate that. That is good information for the purpose! The label photo is attached.

Attachments

Sylvia Lo

Registered
Reaction score
Is Katsuobushi a general term for all types of Dried Shaved Fish? I checked wiki earlier but it says Katsuobushi is Bonito Flakes. I know Bonito Flakes as photo attached. This one I bought is of a different type.

Attachments

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Staff member
Reaction score
Indeed katuobushi refers to dried, fermented, and smoked skipjack tuna, as in the wiki page I linked in my previous post. Since katsuo means skipjack tuna/bonito, other terms are used for other fishes, such like sababushi for blue mackerel, ajibushi for jack mackerel or iwashibushi for Japanese anchovy. Furthermore, wood-type block ones are also called katsuobushi. The one you bought is atsukezuri, i.e., thickly-shaved version of katsuobushi.

Sylvia Lo

Registered
Reaction score
Indeed katuobushi refers to dried, fermented, and smoked skipjack tuna, as in the wiki page I linked in my previous post. Since katsuo means skipjack tuna/bonito, other terms are used for other fishes, such like sababushi for blue mackerel, ajibushi for jack mackerel or iwashibushi for Japanese anchovy. Furthermore, wood-type block ones are also called katsuobushi. The one you bought is atsukezuri, i.e., thickly-shaved version of katsuobushi.
Thank you so much, Toritoribe! That was awesome explanation!